Google Nexus 6P by Huawei (was [Rumor] Huawei Nexus phone?)

jefbal99

I just got off the phone with Google. They said, tough luck. I went all the way up to a second supervisor level. They said because I admitted to dropping it, they can't help me. I was pretty torqued. I asked if I had lied and said it came damaged, would they have taken it back. He said, yes. So I asked him if I was not able to get Google to take it back because I was honest. He said, basically, yes. I was being penalized for being honest.

Part of me wishes I had just lied. But then I just tell that part to shut up, because it's always right to do the right thing. It's just typically more expensive.

I also explained that I didn't order the protection plan because, as a loyal Nexus buyer, I was in such a mad rush to get my place in line when I ordered it, that I advanced through the screen accidentally and was afraid to go back and lose my spot in line. After the order was placed it would not let me add it without cancelling my order and losing my place in line. I asked if there is a way to add the service now for customer service purposes, and they said they could not add it now. Great.

They gave me the number to Huawei to find out how much they'll charge me to change the display out for me. Which I imagine will be a lot.

I have fumbled through typing this out on my Nexus 6P screen. I feel like its obituary should be typed from it. I probably deserve this for some cosmic karma reason.

Sent using Nexus 6P on Tapatalk

I wish Google gave some recognition for this site like Sprint and other sites have. There are so many people who come to this site for new information and solutions when interested in new devices. This community basically provides free troubleshooting for Sprint (in some cases other carriers) and device manufactures. Not to mention I would pick here for troubleshooting questions before calling carriers and manufacturers.

Sorry, went on little bit of a rant...

• Like 1

No luck with Huawei this morning.  They not only said they would not honor replacing the device for anything less than full cost, but they also said that they do not offer any repair service whatsoever.  I cannot even send it back to them and repair for a fee.  They said they probably will not have display repair kits out for 6 months.  Nice.

I love reading all these stories over the years of how people can get this and that returned.  I hear of things like one time customer service returns, etc.  I never get things like that.  And I am uber nice on the phone with customer service reps.  And I am persistent, in a friendly way.  I just never seem to get a break.  But all in all, it's my own dang fault.  

Maybe if I call Google Fi and threaten to cancel my service now that I no longer have a compatible device, maybe that will get me somewhere?  probably not.  I bought the phone using a debit MasterCard from my Credit Union checking account.  I doubt they offer coverage, but I'm checking now.

No luck with Huawei this morning. They not only said they would not honor replacing the device for anything less than full cost, but they also said that they do not offer any repair service whatsoever. I cannot even send it back to them and repair for a fee. They said they probably will not have display repair kits out for 6 months. Nice.

I love reading all these stories over the years of how people can get this and that returned. I hear of things like one time customer service returns, etc. I never get things like that. And I am uber nice on the phone with customer service reps. And I am persistent, in a friendly way. I just never seem to get a break. But all in all, it's my own dang fault.

Maybe if I call Google Fi and threaten to cancel my service now that I no longer have a compatible device, maybe that will get me somewhere? probably not. I bought the phone using a debit MasterCard from my Credit Union checking account. I doubt they offer coverage, but I'm checking now.

It's sad. My parents bought me a gaming laptop that had a wireless issue right after the warranty expired but still had accidental protection. This was at Best Buy. I told the guy I had a wireless issue but he said the accidental damage doesn't cover that. I said "So if I smash the laptop right now and come back in, it'd be covered?" And he said "only if it was accidental." I have no idea how he'd know if it was accidental or not, but it turned out to be an actual Windows issue in the registry so I fixed it myself but I was never so infuriated before with Best Buy. It's a shame because telling the truth hurts you more than being dishonest.

Sent from my Nexus 5X

• Like 4

No luck with Huawei this morning.  They not only said they would not honor replacing the device for anything less than full cost, but they also said that they do not offer any repair service whatsoever.  I cannot even send it back to them and repair for a fee.  They said they probably will not have display repair kits out for 6 months.  Nice.

I love reading all these stories over the years of how people can get this and that returned.  I hear of things like one time customer service returns, etc.  I never get things like that.  And I am uber nice on the phone with customer service reps.  And I am persistent, in a friendly way.  I just never seem to get a break.  But all in all, it's my own dang fault.  

Maybe if I call Google Fi and threaten to cancel my service now that I no longer have a compatible device, maybe that will get me somewhere?  probably not.  I bought the phone using a debit MasterCard from my Credit Union checking account.  I doubt they offer coverage, but I'm checking now.

I know in the past Google Fi has definitely done replacements for the Nexus 6 for $100. Not sure if that is helpful now but there is precedent there.

• Like 1

Robert, how far down the rabbit hole did you get with Google?  Do they have your IMEI on file on your complaint?  Since you called did they make a transcript of the interaction?  I'm not familiar with Google's CS systems.  Some systems don't log every call to your "account" exactly. 

If you're out of options and you're not sure if it's tied to your account, you could let it sit for a week and then call back in next week.  And go with the less honest route to get it complete.  Just say the screen bonked out all by itself and you need a new one. I mean, when pressed up against a wall, might as well get it done.  Just say a few extra Hail Marys. 

Last night, maybe it was the karma of reading your debacle, but my 10 month old daughter decided to whip my Note5 off a counter on to a tile floor.  I picked it up expecting the worst, however, there's not a single piece of visible or mechanical damage. Phew! 

• Like 1

I know in the past Google Fi has definitely done replacements for the Nexus 6 for $100. Not sure if that is helpful now but there is precedent there.

MasterCard has said they will cover it.  However, they are asking that I get a letter in writing from Google and Huawei saying that it cannot be repaired.  Otherwise, they will only pay for the repair cost. But it sounds like it is going to be hell and take a long time.  I will contact Google Fi, because it may be worth the $100 if they'll do it!

• Like 5

MasterCard has said they will cover it. However, they are asking that I get a letter in writing from Google and Huawei saying that it cannot be repaired. Otherwise, they will only pay for the repair cost. But it sounds like it is going to be hell and take a long time. I will contact Google Fi, because it may be worth the $100 if they'll do it!

Hey, at least you're making progress!

Sent from my Nexus 5X

• Like 1

With Robert story of his device being out of commission temporarily hopefully! I hope that does turn out well for you.

Just want to say that I did receive my Nexus 6P 128 gig Frost variant today got it all setup as well! Besides a minor scratch at the bottom where the chamfered edges R no damages to report in shipping!

• Like 1

With Robert story of his device being out of commission temporarily hopefully! I hope that does turn out well for you.

Just want to say that I did receive my Nexus 6P 128 gig Frost variant today got it all setup as well! Besides a minor scratch at the bottom where the chamfered edges R no damages to report in shipping!

When did you order? I ordered an hour after launch (Sept. 29) that exact same phone, and I'm to this moment stuck in "pending" with no shipment in sight.

When did you order? I ordered an hour after launch (Sept. 29) that exact same phone, and I'm to this moment stuck in "pending" with no shipment in sight.

I ordered 9/30 a day after the announcement. I was wafting between either the aluminum or the frost and I left it up to chance to see which one will ship first, frost won! My aluminium order should have came to today but that variant got held back by the delay. Got the email and all.

I'm impressed with the real world RF performance of the 6p.  At home, on B41, the 6p is consistently about 3-4dBm better than my old Nexus 6 (literally side by side, same GCI/PCI).  And I can get B41 in my basement now.  

At work, instead of constantly flipping between eHRPD and B25 LTE (the nearest tower has unoptimized B26), I've been on B25 LTE the entire morning (between -99 and -104dBm).  Awesome.

• Like 2

I wish Google gave some recognition for this site like Sprint and other sites have. There are so many people who come to this site for new information and solutions when interested in new devices. This community basically provides free troubleshooting for Sprint (in some cases other carriers) and device manufactures. Not to mention I would pick here for troubleshooting questions before calling carriers and manufacturers.

Sorry, went on little bit of a rant...

Maybe S4GRU should produce a YouTube commercial.  We could get you to go on camera and give a testimonial.

For Sprint tech support, customer service, questions, advice, etc., S4GRU and the Sprint subreddit are the top two resources on the Web.  And S4GRU is responsible for some cross pollination in the Sprint subreddit, as staff and members frequently post there, too.  Both S4GRU and the Sprint subreddit are productive not only because of the solid expertise but also because of the firm moderation.  They do not allow the malcontents and trolls to drag down the discussion into the Sprint gutter.

AJ

• Like 1

I'm impressed with the real world RF performance of the 6p. At home, on B41, the 6p is consistently about 3-4dBm better than my old Nexus 6 (literally side by side, same GCI/PCI). And I can get B41 in my basement now.

At work, instead of constantly flipping between eHRPD and B25 LTE (the nearest tower has unoptimized B26), I've been on B25 LTE the entire morning (between -99 and -104dBm). Awesome.

That is good to hear. I am trying to read more about this device but want know how it behaves on Sprint's network. I currently have an M8, but guess the N6p should be better with RF.

Sent from my mobile using Tapatalk

That is good to hear. I am trying to read more about this device but want know how it behaves on Sprint's network. I currently have an M8, but guess the N6p should be better with RF.

Sent from my mobile using Tapatalk

I'm liking it! Did have some problems at the start where it wasn't getting calls, but that got fixed after calling Sprint.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Here is a weird quirk:

Slight static on my headphones when sound is on (no static when muted with headphones plugged in) on only certain headphones. My skullcandy earbuds and xiaomi piston IIs I use for running have the static but my spare iphone headphones and the ultra cheap phillips earbuds have none. The headphones that have no static seem to have a VERY SLIGHTLY longer plug and I have searched and found others with this issue.

Kinda annoying actually as I listen to music late at night and the skullcandy earbuds feel the best on my ears.

MasterCard has said they will cover it.  However, they are asking that I get a letter in writing from Google and Huawei saying that it cannot be repaired.  Otherwise, they will only pay for the repair cost. But it sounds like it is going to be hell and take a long time.  I will contact Google Fi, because it may be worth the $100 if they'll do it!

I also, was wondering how Google tracks your complaint / call.  I'd think that you may want to simply wait a week and call back with the exact same story that you gave before.  I've noted that the customer service you receive is VERY dependent on how the other person is feeling that day...  I've definitely profiled the conversation (i.e. heard their voice and hung up before any information was given and called back immediately).  It may seem trivial, but I think some of these employees have more wiggle room than they initially lead on to on purpose.  I wanted to purchase a 6P device myself and am weighing your outcome / story pretty heavily.  I know for a fact at least years ago, that Apple had a one time forgiveness policy where you could purchase a replacement iPhone for on contract pricing (~$200-300 depending on model).

Good luck.

I was told when I called that my account has been noted that the device was damaged by me dropping it. But I don't regret doing the right thing.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

I got my 32gb silver version this morning and have already noticed it reboots all the time. Is this just me or are other people seeing this too

9 times out of 10 that I have seen this on a Nexus device it is a rogue app causing it. Factory reset and install apps one at a time to make sure it is stable.

I'm having a hard time getting the phone activated with Sprint mostly due to lack of extra nano-SIms.  My question is this:  Can I remove the nano-sim from my HTC M8, place it in the Nexus 6p and go through sprint activation process?  

Is there a reason why did wouldn't work?  Is there something special about the nano-sim that goes into the Nexus?   I've called 5 stores and most don't have it in stock while one of them might have some tomorrow.

I'm having a hard time getting the phone activated with Sprint mostly due to lack of extra nano-SIms. My question is this: Can I remove the nano-sim from my HTC M8, place it in the Nexus 6p and go through sprint activation process?

Is there a reason why did wouldn't work? Is there something special about the nano-sim that goes into the Nexus? I've called 5 stores and most don't have it in stock while one of them might have some tomorrow.

Did you read the thread referenced for activation/SIM info?

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/7282-nexus-5x-user-thread-lg-h790/

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk