Google Nexus 6P by Huawei (was [Rumor] Huawei Nexus phone?)

jefbal99

Just an FYI there is a buy-one-get-one free offer for tempered glass screen protectors here:

http://www.intelliarmor.com/intelliglass-nexus-6p-the-smarter-real-glass-screen-protector.html

Just add two to your cart and apply coupon code = intelli6P

Credit to girl_Interrupted513   From android central forums

Text my friend the deal who got herself a 6P and her sister the 5X. She text me back right away that she ordered one for each of them. The BOGO deal still works if you mix and match.

• Like 1

My two year contract with sprint was over in may of this year will sprint allow me to activate this device to my current plan or will they try to make me switch plans?

Nope! Everything will stay the same!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

u don't see the wifi logo at the top?

If you look at the time between the test and the time of the screenshot and also look at the icon next to the test above the download speed you can tell its not the wifi signal.

Who is your home ISP?  Good gravy, that's fast. 

Time Warner Cable. 

I can actually get 300 down but I pay for 100 down and TWC overprovisions by 10-15% in my town (Austin) thanks to Google Fiber coming to town. So that 109 down is actually close to the speeds I get connected via ethernet on my computer. Very impressive coming from a very disappointing 5GHz experience with my Nexus 5.

• Like 1

Time Warner Cable. 

I can actually get 300 down but I pay for 100 down and TWC overprovisions by 10-15% in my town (Austin) thanks to Google Fiber coming to town. So that 109 down is actually close to the speeds I get connected via ethernet on my computer. Very impressive coming from a very disappointing 5GHz experience with my Nexus 5.

I'm in the same boat in Southern California. Pay for 100 get anywhere from 100 - 120. My wifi speed tests are usually done with my N6 and occasionally with my laptop which I had to upgrade the wireless card to access 5ghz.

I'm in the same boat in Southern California. Pay for 100 get anywhere from 100 - 120. My wifi speed tests are usually done with my N6 and occasionally with my laptop which I had to upgrade the wireless card to access 5ghz.

The really impressive thing is those speeds were downstairs opposite my router (an Asus AC-68U) where my N5 would drop to maybe 30-40% of that speed. the N6P also seems to do much better on holding B41 than my N5. I am a very happy camper in terms of RF performance on this device.

Wow, looks like y'all want to be careful with the 6p

Sent from Moto X Pure via Tapatalk

Seems to scratch pretty easily, especially the Graphite color. The 'bending' was already debunked however, to paraphrase the post I'll link below, he pre-broke the glass which made bending the aluminum body of the phone quite a bit easier. https://www.reddit.com/r/Nexus6P/comments/3qtuaj/nexus_6p_does_not_bend/

edit: Further down someone points out discrepancies between the phone he used and retail phones. It's suspected he's using pre-production phone and also apparently goes through the effort to structurally weaken them beforehand. Other than the obvious 'it's aluminum, it's going to scratch' you guys can pretty much ignore that and move on to comparing the RF of the phone ;)

• Like 3

Didn't think about the glass already being broke from the scratch test. Very surprised the glass cracked from being scratched, that is bothersome

Time Warner Cable. 

You do realize that both 2015 Nexus handsets support 2x2 MIMO on Wi-Fi, right?  The Nexus 5 was more typical single spatial stream.  That is the primary reason for your Wi-Fi speed boost.

However, I am not sure why anyone should be concerned about Wi-Fi speeds on mobile devices.  Whether 100 Mbps, 50 Mbps, or 10 Mbps, most handheld activities are going to function and feel the same.  In my case, I have separate SSIDs for 2.4 GHz and 5 GHZ.  I purposely keep my devices (handsets, tablets, printer, gaming system) off of 5 GHz and on 2.4 GHz.  That way, the laptop and the secondary Wi-Fi router connected to several NAS in another room get the 5 GHz super highway all to themselves.  Those are the equipment that can benefit from additional speed.

AJ

You do realize that both 2015 Nexus handsets support 2x2 MIMO on Wi-Fi, right?  The Nexus 5 was more typical single spatial stream.  That is the primary reason for your Wi-Fi speed boost.

However, I am not sure why anyone should be concerned about Wi-Fi speeds on mobile devices.  Whether 100 Mbps, 50 Mbps, or 10 Mbps, most handheld activities are going to function and feel the same.  In my case, I have separate SSIDs for 2.4 GHz and 5 GHZ.  I purposely keep my devices (handsets, tablets, printer, gaming system) off of 5 GHz and on 2.4 GHz.  That way, the laptop and the secondary Wi-Fi router connected to several NAS in another room get the 5 GHz super highway all to themselves.  Those are the equipment that can benefit from additional speed.

AJ

Yes I am aware of the difference. However, my Nexus 5 was always a poor performer on 5GHz even one room away. As a comparison my N6P actually holds higher speeds at longer distance than my wife's iPhone 6s. I consider that pretty impressive. As to why wifi performance matters, In Austin, TWC rolls out wifi for subscribers for events so I am hopeful that as Sprint (and all mobile carriers really) grind into dust under the strain of events here that I will be able to hold a better wifi signal at longer distances. 

Mostly it is just cool to see the march forward in technology as now I won't have to manually switch to 2.4 ghz when downstairs and wanting to stream from my Plex server to my phone. 

As to why wifi performance matters, In Austin, TWC rolls out wifi for subscribers for events so I am hopeful that as Sprint (and all mobile carriers really) grind into dust under the strain of events here that I will be able to hold a better wifi signal at longer distances. 

Yes, stadium/arena/event Wi-Fi is a legitimate concern.  I was thinking only of home use, which to me seems transparent at 10 Mbps or greater.  But back to mass public use, you may not need Wi-Fi as much any longer.  In Kansas City, for example, Sprint 2x CA band 41 generally is superior now to the enterprise grade Wi-Fi at Arrowhead Stadium and Sporting Park.

AJ

• Like 1

Didn't think about the glass already being broke from the scratch test. Very surprised the glass cracked from being scratched, that is bothersome

It's Gorilla 4 glass. Should do fine against normal scratching. Intentional glass scoring, that's a whole 'nother situation.

Sent using Nexus 6P on Tapatalk

• Like 2

Wow, looks like y'all want to be careful with the 6p

Seems to scratch pretty easily, especially the Graphite color. The 'bending' was already debunked however, to paraphrase the post I'll link below, he pre-broke the glass which made bending the aluminum body of the phone quite a bit easier. https://www.reddit.com/r/Nexus6P/comments/3qtuaj/nexus_6p_does_not_bend/

edit: Further down someone points out discrepancies between the phone he used and retail phones. It's suspected he's using pre-production phone and also apparently goes through the effort to structurally weaken them beforehand. Other than the obvious 'it's aluminum, it's going to scratch' you guys can pretty much ignore that and move on to comparing the RF of the phone ;)

Some who pretty much backs up your claim.

What about the initial crack before the fire test? The crack from the scratch test?

Edited by HTCandroid
  • Like 1

Anyone had a chance to compare the 6p reception to the moto Nexus 6? Also how's the battery life with the bigger battery?

Sent from my Nexus 6

Yes, that is the two questions I have as well. 

Thanks for anyone's help. ;)

• Like 1