Sprint "Open World" plan (replaces International Value Roaming)

lilotimz

It's working great south of Cancun as well. It turns out to be very helpful to have when luggage is lost for three days. It's very nice combined with wifi calling.

I enjoyed using the service as well in northern Mexico. Just 2 big ceavets; Movistar's coverage is not as big as Telcel's and we can't access their LTE.

It may not seem as much, but T-Mobile users have access to Telcel, which has better coverage in rural areas. When I visited some smaller towns in Mexico, my phone was useless while T-Mobile users could still roam on Telcel. Also, T-Mobile users have access to LTE from Telcel while Sprint can only access Movistar's HSPA network.

Having said that, at least we don't get screwed like At&t users. Back in the day, my at&t phone would roam on Telcel when I purchased data buckets, but now at&t users are stuck using the extremely small and terribly spaced iusacell/Nextel 4G network.

Roaming works great in South Africa. My phone (Nexus 6P) and my partner's S5 both connected right away and we got the text confirming it. Roaming is on Telkom.

5818bdd87a9637176247a75330a15b88.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 6P

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Are there any updates to Sprint Global Roaming for new countries?  Its been awhile since they have had an update and there are still many countries that Sprint has yet to cover.

Are there any updates to Sprint Global Roaming for new countries?  Its been awhile since they have had an update and there are still many countries that Sprint has yet to cover.

They usually come in waves and at no particular intervals.

I think they are at what, 130 countries?

It may not seem as much, but T-Mobile users have access to Telcel, which has better coverage in rural areas. When I visited some smaller towns in Mexico, my phone was useless while T-Mobile users could still roam on Telcel. Also, T-Mobile users have access to LTE from Telcel while Sprint can only access Movistar's HSPA network.

So TMUS has better rural LTE coverage in a company they don't sell service in than they do at home?

• Like 1

So TMUS has better rural LTE coverage in a company they don't sell service in than they do at home?

T-Mobile took coverage penalties to invest in their own network rather than getting screwed by AT&T on UMTS roaming capped at 64 Kbps. Seems to be paying off as they are growing their own native POP's.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Not really.

Sorry if my post was poorly worded, but Telcel and Movistar's LTE is still somewhat in its infancy stage. It's only available in major markets and has only recently started popping up in mid sized markets (I.E. Cuernavaca, Saltillo, etc). It's still not extensive and no highway buildouts are happening. So while T-Mobile can access LTE in Mexico, it is still contained to popular cities.

Sure would be nice if Sprint also got LTE enabled through their international roaming partners for Open World. But then again, I'm sure Spring is giving these roaming benefits (and overages charges) at a loss. It's not reciprocal roaming, that's for sure. Not many phones support the SMR, PCS G Block, or the BRS/EBS band. CDMA? Forget about it!

Hey guys is there something I need to do to get data working. On Movistar? I'm in Mexico but having a hard time to get data to work!!!!

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

What phone do you have? I know these questions may seem like typical Sprint rep suggestions, but sometimes they do make a difference. Have you checked your roaming settings? Make sure International CDMA roaming is off. Have you tried to reboot your phone? Are you in a rural area (I ask because I've encountered Movistar cells which are just Edge and have no data.)

For Apple, the connection should be automatic, but some people on this board have found luck by doing a factory reset (don't know why that is). Personally, all of our iPhone lines have never had an issue connecting to Movistar.

• Like 1

What phone do you have? I know these questions may seem like typical Sprint rep suggestions, but sometimes they do make a difference. Have you checked your roaming settings? Make sure International CDMA roaming is off. Have you tried to reboot your phone? Are you in a rural area (I ask because I've encountered Movistar cells which are just Edge and have no data.)

For Apple, the connection should be automatic, but some people on this board have found luck by doing a factory reset (don't know why that is). Personally, all of our iPhone lines have never had an issue connecting to Movistar.

I got the Galaxy Note 5, but it's been nothing but problems making phone calls and sending text messages plus the internet it's being painful slow

I got the Galaxy Note 5, but it's been nothing but problems making phone calls and sending text messages plus the internet it's being painful slow

Try going to GSM Only inside settings. I know most Samsung have that option. Your internet is going to be slow if you have value roaming on and not Open World.

I would suggest calling Sprint International before doing a reprovision (##72786#) since PRL and Profile updates are done via CDMA only (as far as I know) and that is currently not available for you. Don't try doing it until you speak with Sprint International support.

• Like 1

Try going to GSM Only inside settings. I know most Samsung have that option. Your internet is going to be slow if you have value roaming on and not Open World.

I would suggest calling Sprint International before doing a reprovision (##72786#) since PRL and Profile updates are done via CDMA only (as far as I know) and that is currently not available for you. Don't try doing it until you speak with Sprint International support.

I have the open world addon, already talked to them via wifi calling

• 1 month later...

I noticed today that https://www.sprint.com/popups/pop-gprsCarriers.html now reports pretty much every international carrier as an Open World partner while Global Roaming seems to have stopped growing. First: is this an error? And second: is this a sign sprint is planning to discontinue global roaming or stop expanding it?

To make matters even more confusing, this page refers to Open World as limited to Latin American countries: https://www.sprint.com/landings/openworld/index.html?ECID=vanity:openworld

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

To make matters even more confusing, this page refers to Open World as limited to Latin American countries: https://www.sprint.com/landings/openworld/index.html?ECID=vanity:openworld

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

Sprint Open World℠

Unlimited talk & text when you're traveling in Canada, Mexico, and most other countries across Latin America.

Best of all, it's FREE!

Not sure where you get it's limited to Latin America.

Sprint Open World℠

Unlimited talk & text when you're traveling in Canada, Mexico, and most other countries across Latin America.

Best of all, it's FREE!

Not sure where you get it's limited to Latin America.

Sorry poor choice of words. I wasn't including Canada and Mexico in my comment. That link, other than Canada and Mexico, only references Latin America while the other link shows it being in most of the world.

I noticed today that https://www.sprint.com/popups/pop-gprsCarriers.html now reports pretty much every international carrier as an Open World partner while Global Roaming seems to have stopped growing. First: is this an error? And second: is this a sign sprint is planning to discontinue global roaming or stop expanding it?

I know for a fact Myanmar wasnt a partner 2 weeks ago, I checked

• 1 month later...

At some point, Sprint added every country in South America to Open World (unlimited talk, text, 1gb data)

Every country except for Guyana, Suriname and French Guiana.

Caribbean is a bit sparse, with only DR included.

That's not surprising, as the DR is the only Spanish speaking country in the Caribbean (save for Cuba, of course).

• 3 weeks later...

Landed in St. Maarten today. I got the usual text from Sprint and Open World is working as it should right off the bat. Interesting thing is that the Sprint international map shows there only being coverage on the French side of the island, Saint Martin provided by Digicel. It shows that there shouldn't be any coverage at all on the Dutch side of the island, Sint Maarten, yet there is from TelCell. A pleasant surprise to be sure.

d19d47af0477a737f74f52967bfe894e.jpg

bf7f82614782ed4e4c11f5f61b77327f.jpg

Speeds are nothing to write home about, but more than usable.

601505bf3b4473c5f8990324650852ed.jpg

• Like 5