Sprint "Open World" plan (replaces International Value Roaming)

lilotimz

Normally I'd say that's fine, but Google maps doesn't even work at that speed (which is pretty much all I use my phone data for overseas). Most of the time things just time out instead at 64kbps.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

You do have to actually get nearly the full 64kb/s speed for what I said to be true.  Google Maps works at that speed as long as you do not go to satellite view.  If you are only getting 10kbps or slower either up or down then almost nothing will work.  I experienced this lack of data several times when I roamed on Verizon CDMA.  I expect slow GSM has the same problem.  This is why LTE roaming is so important.  It is much more likely that you will get the full roaming speed or close to it when roaming on LTE.

I should have noted that it works in some places. Vancouver is one that it did really well. I think it depends on how they handle the throttling.

When you roam on another network, it all depends on how good the network is in that area, just like using any carrier in the US. If the network is shitty, nothing Sprint can do about it. People need to have perspectives before they start ranting.

• Like 1

To go along with this new plan, I see that they added a few more countries to the roaming list such as Belize and Saudi Arabia. It also appears that both sides of St. Maarten are now covered (something that has caused some consternation for a few people) along with Saba and Sint Eustatius (Statia), though the map hasn't been completely updated to reflect the latter two. Actually the entire map seems sorta borked currently as it paints just about every country in green whether there's a Global Roaming agreement or not (ex: Vietnam, Nepal). The biggest omissions now seem to be on the African continent though I imagine that most of those countries aren't particularly high on many customers' vacation lists.

For Google Maps on a slow connection, I'd strongly encourage downloading an offline area when you're on WiFi or before you travel; that way all you need to use data for is traffic and other updates, which should be usable enough.

Not necessarily. If one only plans to use 1 GB or less in Latin America and/or they plan to do a fair amount of talking on the phone then yes, Open World is probably the superior option. However, at 2 GB of usage and above this new Global Roaming plan quickly starts looking more appealing especially considering $25/week for unlimited (whatever that means in this case) at 4G speeds vs $30/GB at 3G speeds. Again, it depends on the individual user. It's impossible to please all of the people all of the time. If you feel that Open World is better for your needs then keep it, problem solved.

Normally I'd say that's fine, but Google maps doesn't even work at that speed (which is pretty much all I use my phone data for overseas). Most of the time things just time out instead at 64kbps.

If you only like to use GMaps, cache the maps.  Or something something like HERE (which is very good) so you can download an entire country's map.  Don't have to worry about speed and save some data. 

It's impossible to please all of the people all of the time.

Incorrect. It's called offering options. Which Sprint has done for years with the Open World OR Global Roaming Plan.

For Latin America, this is a price hike, plain and simple.

Incorrect. It's called offering options. Which Sprint has done for years with the Open World OR Global Roaming Plan.

And when Sprint did that people in this very thread were complaining about confusion. So like I said, it's impossible to please all of the people all of the time.

To your other point, things are usually not "plain and simple". Again, it depends on usage. If someone uses 2 GB in Latin America that's $30  under Open World. Under the new Global Roaming it's $25. So in that scenario how is that a price hike?

• Like 1

And when Sprint did that people in this very thread were complaining about confusion. So like I said, it's impossible to please all of the people all of the time.

To your other point, things are usually not "plain and simple". Again, it depends on usage. If someone uses 2 GB in Latin America that's $30  under Open World. Under the new Global Roaming it's $25. So in that scenario how is that a price hike?

Because calls are no longer free.

Also, it is $25 per WEEK. The $30 was for the entire month.

If you use 1GB over the course of a month, it would now be $100, vs $0 before.

That's a massive price hike.

Because calls are no longer free.

Also, it is $25 per WEEK. The $30 was for the entire month.

If you use 1GB over the course of a month, it would now be $100, vs $0 before.

That's a massive price hike.

Again, depends on usage. I don't know what's so hard to understand about that. I'd venture to say that the average person doesn't vacation for a month. However, even for someone who does, are they really going to stay under 1 GB of data usage for the entire month? If you use 10 GB, for example, over the course of a month it would be $300 on Open World (which still isn't terrible IMO) vs $100. Or if you don't want to pay for the high speed data, don't take the buy-up. That's an option. Or keep Open World, that's also an option that they're offering.

It is a price hike. But it was always a limited time offer. I remember when it came out, the fine print stated that the add on was only for a limited time. As long as you have it as an add-on, Sprint won't take it away.

To note this is designed as a convenience for people who vacation, not for long term stays. If you're going to really be abroad for over a month, they definitely are pushing you to get a local SIM. Sprint even states that they are not to be your foreign provider.

To note this is designed as a convenience for people who vacation, not for long term stays. If you're going to really be abroad for over a month, they definitely are pushing you to get a local SIM. Sprint even states that they are not to be your foreign provider.

Yep. They mention that they have the right to terminate service if a majority of your usage in any given month is roaming.

Again, depends on usage. I don't know what's so hard to understand about that. I'd venture to say that the average person doesn't vacation for a month. However, even for someone who does, are they really going to stay under 1 GB of data usage for the entire month? If you use 10 GB, for example, over the course of a month it would be $300 on Open World (which still isn't terrible IMO) vs $100. Or if you don't want to pay for the high speed data, don't take the buy-up. That's an option. Or keep Open World, that's also an option that they're offering.

My sister has been in Colombia for 3 weeks. I told her about the 1GB limit. She is at .56

So I am not speaking in hypotheticals here.

Our current cost is $0. The new plan would be $75. Thats outrageous.

My sister has been in Colombia for 3 weeks. I told her about the 1GB limit. She is at .56

That's all well and good. Yet, I never claimed that the new Global Roaming will be better/cheaper for all people in all circumstances. Indeed, I've stated several times that it will depend on one's usage. Kudos to your sister for only using half a gig in three weeks. However, it seems just as likely that there will be customers who find it valuable and perhaps even cost effective to have 4G speeds instead of 3G and to not worry about having to watch the meter. Clearly you're not one of those people so they give you the option to stay on Open World. Seems win-win.

I just returned from Colombia as well and Open World worked pretty good. Speeds weren't great but I had no issues using my phone as I usually do. I was also keeping track of data so I didn't ho over. I only used half a g anyway. Luckily I have the old plan.

f41c232ff10fc46a1dfedfa31976a2da.jpga0bcad3ca42444043af9d39d8799d24e.jpg

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

The wife is in the Dominican Republic and it's seems that the Global roaming plan blocks iMessage & MMS. Why?

We're both Sprint customers. Does T-Mobile do the same?

She probably has data roaming off. Tell her to check for that.

Just landed in Canada for the first time in 3 weeks. For the past year, I have been coming to Montreal, on average, every other week. Each time, my phone connected to Rogers 3G and stayed there.

Today upon landing, I am connected to Rogers LTE. I am sure the speed is still limited, but it sure is nice to see it say "LTE" instead of "3G" !

For reference, ED1500 plan with Sprint Open World.

• Like 4

I'm going to Toronto at the end of May. What steps or plan do I need to do before arriving?

You don't have to do anything.  Sprint Global Roaming is already enabled onto your services.  Sprint Open World no longer exists.  If you want to buy High speed passes in most countries for $5/day or $25/week or Canada/Mexico for $2/day or $10/week.

https://www.sprint.com/en/shop/services/global-roaming.html?ECID=vanity:globalroaming

Yep. The full list of plans is here under the question labeled "Is Sprint Global Roaming limited to certain plans?"

https://support.sprint.com/support/article/FAQs_about_Sprint_Global_Roaming/8fc1976f-831b-44a4-ab93-d1b3c36c39a3

Has anyone noticed that the Unlimited LTE, Talk, and Text in Canada and Mexico has disappeared from the Global Roaming page and the FAQs? Does this mean it's been removed altogether?

Has anyone noticed that the Unlimited LTE, Talk, and Text in Canada and Mexico has disappeared from the Global Roaming page and the FAQs? Does this mean it's been removed altogether?

Huh...didn't notice that. Not sure...