Wimax site usage after shutdown

signalchaser

Does anyone have information on what Sprint will be doing with the Wimax protection sites that are out in rural areas? Will they be converted to Sprint LTE or 3g or will they be abandoned or could other carriers be picking them up? There are a few areas that have Wimax and no LTE anywhere near there so I would like to know if these sites will lose. Please bear with me as I do not understand the backhaul requirements for these sites that are in the middle of nowhere. Are the sites connected via microwave or possibly some type of cable?

Does anyone have information on what Sprint will be doing with the Wimax protection sites that are out in rural areas? Will they be converted to Sprint LTE or 3g or will they be abandoned or could other carriers be picking them up? There are a few areas that have Wimax and no LTE anywhere near there so I would like to know if these sites will lose. Please bear with me as I do not understand the backhaul requirements for these sites that are in the middle of nowhere. Are the sites connected via microwave or possibly some type of cable?

AFAIK there isn't any information on those sites. We do know several of them have been designated as band 41 activated so potentially dual mode sites.

We imagine sprint will replace the with their own equipment to continue the spectrum protection and possibly some native network expansion to cut down on some roaming fees but that's only speculation.

Tldr: we don't know yet

Sent from my Nexus 5

• Like 5

I can only speak for the protection site here in my town but it has sprint LTE bands 25 and 26 already deployed.  Dont know if they removed wimax already or not though.  This is a full build site (not GMO).

We should know more come November 6, if the protection sites in markets that are not scheduled for B41 have not had upgrades then we costumers in those markets might need to start worrying.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

We should know more come November 6, if the protection sites in markets that are not scheduled for B41 have not had upgrades then we costumers in those markets might need to start worrying.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Sprint may not need to convert the site. Because they're using the spectrum for LTE as part of their main network, they may not need your protection site anymore. For example here in Iowa they may no longer need the rural protection sites to keep their licence because they've built out B41 in the cities here now.

It all depends on if they have to provide a usable signal in the areas the Wimax protection sites covered. If Sprint is not going to be required to use the bandwidth in all their markets, they can concentrate all resources in the larger markets and add only where they can increase ROI

Sent from my HTC M8

I can only speak for the protection site here in my town but it has sprint LTE bands 25 and 26 already deployed.  Dont know if they removed wimax already or not though.  This is a full build site (not GMO).

what is a GMO site? Are you up near the border? Presque Isle?

Thanks lilo, however GMO is not in the site's glossary.

check the 2nd page, there is a link to an explanation.

Sprint may not need to convert the site. Because they're using the spectrum for LTE as part of their main network, they may not need your protection site anymore. For example here in Iowa they may no longer need the rural protection sites to keep their licence because they've built out B41 in the cities here now.

What parts of Iowa have band 41? I havent gotten it when ive been there so Im just wondering.

What parts of Iowa have band 41? I havent gotten it when ive been there so Im just wondering.

If memory serves, I think Des Moines?

But if there are any, its not much. Similar to here in North Wisconsin, Iowa is sitting with a ton of 3G only towers.

(more details in the Nebraska/Iowa Premier Thread)

We have 4 functioning Wi-Max protection sites in metro Omaha, Nebraska.  Most are near working LTE towers.  I accessed all of them this week.

============

I enjoyed Wi-Max in Columbus and Norfolk, NE in the past 30 days.  Both towns have no hint of LTE for over 25 miles or more in all directions.  Just 3G for the foreseeable future.

------------------------

Things are happening in Iowa.  For example, I found some relatively new LTE B26 on US Hwy 71 northbound from Atlantic and some new 1x800 as well in the area.  These were not in the S4GRU database before this week.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

AFAIK there isn't any information on those sites. We do know several of them have been designated as band 41 activated so potentially dual mode sites.

We imagine sprint will replace the with their own equipment to continue the spectrum protection and possibly some native network expansion to cut down on some roaming fees but that's only speculation.

Tldr: we don't know yet

Sent from my Nexus 5

But I tell you what we do know.  Today is HUMP DAY!!!!  lol.

On a serious note though I was kinda curious about that as well, considering where im at in Jacksonville, the vast majority of the band 41 is still clear band 41 and not sprint band 41 yet.  I have seen more and more sprint b41 sites pop up over the last month or so, but there are still so many Clear sites out there!!!!!!!  It seems like the whole east side and middle of Jacksonville area is covered in Clear sites with Sprint B41 few and far between. 

What happens if they do not have all clear sites shut down by the date required?

Just two more months.

Using Tapatalk on Nexus 6

Robert do you have a countdown clock going?  lol.  Should totally add one to the top of the S4GRU page.  just sayin...

But I tell you what we do know.  Today is HUMP DAY!!!!  lol.

On a serious note though I was kinda curious about that as well, considering where im at in Jacksonville, the vast majority of the band 41 is still clear band 41 and not sprint band 41 yet.  I have seen more and more sprint b41 sites pop up over the last month or so, but there are still so many Clear sites out there!!!!!!!  It seems like the whole east side and middle of Jacksonville area is covered in Clear sites with Sprint B41 few and far between. 

What happens if they do not have all clear sites shut down by the date required?

They'll just shut down the WiMax side. On Samsung dual mode sites they fire up a second Band 41 carrier if the site has backhaul for it or 3 or 4 more Band 41 carriers (Samsung ones support up to 4 B41 carriers though in 2T4R + 2T4R instead of 4T4R). Huawei sites they just keep the LTE side active until they can have the sites decomissioned and replace by Sprint macros. First permits for those one for one 2.5 replacements started appearing in early July. 

Just two more months.

I feel like I should experience WiMAX one last time.  But, nah, it is not gonna happen.

AJ

I've already found WiMAX equipment removed at a collocated site in my market. No big loss for Sprint apparently and probably cheaper to operate. I just hope Sprint will consider flipping some protection sites to B41 too as it would greatly help fill in a few B41 holes that the adjacent Sprint sites fail to cover.

Edit: Oh, and they didn't bother installing any 8T8R equipmet at the now former WiMAX site, but at least it has B25 now which is still an improvement.

Edited by Joski1624