Moto X 2015 "Pure Edition" [users thread]

nexuss4g

They just added 26 lol

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk 2

Let's just keep sending in suggestions!  Maybe they'll add OIS to the camera or Qi charging if we tweet enough!  :rasp:

• Like 2

http://fortune.com/2015/07/28/motorola-carriers-devices/?xid=yahoo_fortune

I don't know if a Fortune.com article can be believed.  If this is true, I don't think it is good news for Sprint users.

Check out the vid below, kinda confirms the article.

http://www.androidguys.com/2015/07/28/what-is-the-moto-x-pure-edition/

"This means that Motorola’s newest flagship will not be available in carrier stores, only on motorola.com, amazon.com, and bestbuy.com. The only brick-and-mortar store the Moto X Pure Edition will be available in is Best Buy stores. Furthermore, the Moto X Pure Edition can be used on any carrier. Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile, or any other carrier that sells SIM cards can be used with this phone."

We now know the Pure Edition supports Sprint's Network by the revised spec sheet, but why not mention the carrier by name?

"This means that Motorola’s newest flagship will not be available in carrier stores, only on motorola.com, amazon.com, and bestbuy.com. The only brick-and-mortar store the Moto X Pure Edition will be available in is Best Buy stores. Furthermore, the Moto X Pure Edition can be used on any carrier. Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile, or any other carrier that sells SIM cards can be used with this phone."

We now know the Pure Edition supports Sprint's Network by the revised spec sheet, but why not mention the carrier by name?

Maybe they're still bitter about Sprint dropping them last year.

It is all about the "whitelist".  I wish it was easier to bring a device to Sprint.

Maybe they're still bitter about Sprint dropping them last year.

They still included Sprint's bands and network compatability, although last year version had them but wasn't able to activate with Sprint. (Wireless Republic version). 

I think this pretty much answers it.  

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2488653,00.asp

So no specific Sprint version.  Doesn't mean Sprint might not sell it in future.  Maybe they'll offer a reduced price version to get you to sign up.  If not, then Sprint will just have to compete on service plans.  Just like all carriers should.  Hope more mfgs start doing this.  

• Like 2

So, let me see if I have this straight...

2015 Moto X:  Moto X Play ≠ Moto X Style

I was under the initial impression that they were just different names, but they are all the same phone, same size, same specs, etc.  The Moto X Play would be the international variant, not sold in the US.  The Moto X Style would be the domestic variant, sold unlocked.

Now, I understand that the Moto X Play is a 5.5 in display with a Snapdragon 610, while the Moto X Style is a 5.7 in display with a Snapdragon 808.  So, they are on different mid range and flagship tiers.

Are we sure now that the "UC1" and "UC2" variants at the FCC OET that we have been discussing as the 2015 Moto X are the Moto X Style and not the Moto X Play?  I remember doing the math on the diagonal and projecting a 5.5 in display. 

AJ

Also, did anyone else notice that Motorola switched the display to LCD?  No more garish, PenTile AMOLED.  I wonder what effect this will have on the active display features and power consumption.

AJ

2015 Moto X: Moto X Play ≠ Moto X Style

I was under the initial impression that they were just different names, but they are all the same phone, same size, same specs, etc. The Moto X Play would be the international variant, not sold in the US. The Moto X Style would be the domestic variant, sold unlocked.

Now, I understand that the Moto X Play is a 5.5 in display with a Snapdragon 610, while the Moto X Style is a 5.7 in display with a Snapdragon 808. So, they are on different mid range and flagship tiers.

Are we sure now that the "UC1" and "UC2" variants at the FCC OET that we have been discussing as the 2015 Moto X are the Moto X Style and not the Moto X Play? I remember doing the math on the diagonal and projecting a 5.5 in display.

AJ

If the Moto Play is a worldwide phone (except the US), why then file with the FCC? Nevertheless, it was hinted that the Moto Play might be released in the US later in the year, although it might be thru a carrier (Verizon rebranded maybe?)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

If the Moto Play is a worldwide phone (except the US), why then file with the FCC?

Plenty of international devices that are never sold here still pass through the FCC OET.  In order to operate on W-CDMA 1900, for example, while roaming in the US, they require FCC authorization.  Otherwise, they are technically illegal transmitters.

AJ

Plenty of international devices that are never sold here still pass through the FCC OET. In order to operate on W-CDMA 1900, for example, while roaming in the US, they require FCC authorization. Otherwise, they are technically illegal transmitters.

AJ

Good to know.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

2015 Moto X:  Moto X Play ≠ Moto X Style

I was under the initial impression that they were just different names, but they are all the same phone, same size, same specs, etc.  The Moto X Play would be the international variant, not sold in the US.  The Moto X Style would be the domestic variant, sold unlocked.

Now, I understand that the Moto X Play is a 5.5 in display with a Snapdragon 610, while the Moto X Style is a 5.7 in display with a Snapdragon 808.  So, they are on different mid range and flagship tiers.

Are we sure now that the "UC1" and "UC2" variants at the FCC OET that we have been discussing as the 2015 Moto X are the Moto X Style and not the Moto X Play?  I remember doing the math on the diagonal and projecting a 5.5 in display. 

AJ

UC1=Pure Moto X Style (U.S. Version)?

UC2='UnPure' Moto X Style (International Version)?

You're math projection might have not accounted for the Moto X high screen to body percentage (76%).

Motorola now claims that the Pure Edition supports all 3 Sprint bands.

Ah, that was the other question.  Moto X Style = Moto X Pure Edition, correct?  The branding scheme on this handset is a quagmire.

But if the Moto X Style = Moto X Pure Edition, the tech specs page has been repeatedly revised throughout the day.  Motorola was not fully prepared for this release.

AJ

They just added 26 lol

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk 2

They actually changed several of the international bands too. This morning it said: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 12, 17, 20, 25, 28, 40, 41

Now it says 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 12, 13, 17, 25, 26, 38, 41

Talk about a cluster-you know what

I'm getting it..... Whatever the bands. We'll work this thing out together.

Just FYI, staff has known for several weeks that the tested RF performance of this Moto X is only about average.  In other words, not great.  It may be a jack of all trades, master of none.  We will run an update to our existing article, write a follow up article, or post here with ERP/EIRP figures -- once we have confirmed with Sprint that this handset will be whitelisted.

AJ

Just FYI, staff has known for several weeks that the tested RF performance of this Moto X is only about average. In other words, not great. It may be a jack of all trades, master of none. We will run an update to our existing article, write a follow up article, or post here with ERP/EIRP figures -- once we have confirmed with Sprint that this handset will be whitelisted.

AJ

That being the big question. Right now Sprint on their customer forums says that they have not received the device for testing yet so can not say if it will be a compatible device.

They still included Sprint's bands and network compatability, although last year version had them but wasn't able to activate with Sprint. (Wireless Republic version).

Which variant of the previous X are you referring to because according to Moto's website, neither of the two CDMA variants supported B26 or B41 (and as such Sprint obviously wouldn't have been interested in whitelisting them).

Which variant of the previous X are you referring to because according to Moto's website, neither of the two CDMA variants supported B26 or B41 (and as such Sprint obviously wouldn't have been interested in whitelisting them).

This: http://www.s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/6681-WIN-A-2014-MOTO-X2!!!--Motorola-X2-Activation-Help-Fund-Us-Contest

This happened last year. They were unsuccessful in activating it with Sprint. Apparently worked great on Republic Wireless using Sprint's network, including band 26 and 41.

This: http://www.s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/6681-WIN-A-2014-MOTO-X2!!!--Motorola-X2-Activation-Help-Fund-Us-Contest

This happened last year. They were unsuccessful in activating it with Sprint. Apparently worked great on Republic Wireless using Sprint's network, including band 26 and 41.

Oh, OK, that model isn't even listed on Moto's site (four other models are). Strange.

I watched the announcement live stream. The Moto guy did specifically say the Pure edition will work on Sprint. They also said specifically that no US release is planned for the "Play" phone.

Pure is just the US branding for the "style" phone