Moto X 2015 "Pure Edition" [users thread]

nexuss4g

Hey everyone. I'm traveling in Canada and can't get any GSM data to work with the Moto x pure. I have Sprint open world so it should be working. Voice and text work, but nada on data. Network is set to global, and I've updated profile.

Any suggestions ?

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

I had issues with my Moto X Pure when traveling to Mexico, so here's what I learned so far.

Before crossing the border make these changes:

Go to settings > More > Cellular Networks

Data Roaming should be ON

Go to Preferred Network Type > Select Global

Turn phone off for 5 minutes, then turn it on while in Canada or wherever you are roaming, the phone should start searching for signal and the roaming carrier. 

Cellular will register to make calls but data will take a few minutes to hours to register, I have tried turning the phone off and on a few times and it will work.

Hope it helps.

• 1 month later...

Got a question. I know the pure is some what "water resistant" to a point. Well Ive bought a atv to ride with my dad on trips to atv parks, I'm looking at buying a Bluetooth stereo for it. I just don't know how the whole will hold up if I have to get in water or mud for some reason( I don't plan in it but never know). Is there another waterproof or cheap Android mp3 player I can use. All I need it to do is sync my play music to it and last around 15 hours of streaming it. I've thought about getting a S7 and life proof it but love my pure way to much. My second thought was get a S5 and life proof. Put my music and big as card for video/pics when I'm riding. Also is there a way to use my music on another device without all my Gmail and contacts syncing to it? I just don't want the use it once or twice a month then not use it for 2 months and when I charge it before a trip it will have a million notifications going off haha. Thanks guys.

Got a question. I know the pure is some what "water resistant" to a point. Well Ive bought a atv to ride with my dad on trips to atv parks, I'm looking at buying a Bluetooth stereo for it. I just don't know how the whole will hold up if I have to get in water or mud for some reason( I don't plan in it but never know). Is there another waterproof or cheap Android mp3 player I can use. All I need it to do is sync my play music to it and last around 15 hours of streaming it. I've thought about getting a S7 and life proof it but love my pure way to much. My second thought was get a S5 and life proof. Put my music and big as card for video/pics when I'm riding. Also is there a way to use my music on another device without all my Gmail and contacts syncing to it? I just don't want the use it once or twice a month then not use it for 2 months and when I charge it before a trip it will have a million notifications going off haha. Thanks guys.

Why not use a small ziploc bag to put your Moto in? If you were going every day to the trails, then I would definitely suggest a waterproof phone. But once or twice a month? Not worth the hassle IMO.

In my experiences, mud is the least of my problems when going on an ATV ride. It is sand and dirt that get in through the speakers, especially in desert terrain.

*(Make sure to make a test run with it before attempting it)

I would but I've been going through more mud. I figured a hundred be a decent price, just in case I sink my atv, hope not haha. I rode only a few times since I've bought it, been stuck 4 times but need better tires than factory.

I had issues with my Moto X Pure when traveling to Mexico, so here's what I learned so far.

Before crossing the border make these changes:

Go to settings > More > Cellular Networks

Data Roaming should be ON

Go to Preferred Network Type > Select Global

Turn phone off for 5 minutes, then turn it on while in Canada or wherever you are roaming, the phone should start searching for signal and the roaming carrier.

Cellular will register to make calls but data will take a few minutes to hours to register, I have tried turning the phone off and on a few times and it will work.

Hope it helps.

Just came back from Punta Cana after a week of no data. I tried EVERYTHING and nothing worked. Here are some screenshots of the GSM network over there. It was only 3G but my wife was getting a constant 2mbps DL on her iPhone while in 3G. Edge was unusable for data ????. Sucked but at least I enjoy my vacation more than being on my phone.

06aaf63c456acdfbff38107bda7e496d.jpg

cd5c870773461c7dd3b9cfeceaecdd1f.jpg

e1068c69a0ff4367f02f67439390e956.jpg

19bf653df9df342b0e4ea3df75660985.jpg

Edited by ttwiitch

Just came back from Punta Cana after a week of no data. I tried EVERYTHING and nothing worked. Here are some screenshots of the GSM network over there. It was only 3G but my wife was getting a constant 2mbps DL on her iPhone while in 3G. Edge was unusable for data . Sucked but at least I enjoy my vacation more than being on my phone.

Sentt from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

The Mobile data: unregistered is a common problem with the Moto X Pure when I traveled abroad. Seems like it takes a while for data to register on the roaming Network.

• 2 weeks later...

Well crap, my adoptable storage took a dump on Monday.  Not sure the issue as I can't get to any logs, Android sees the card and "checks" it when inserted, then gives a message that the card is not there.  I put the card into my Windows box and it sees it as a SCSI storage device, but nothing more.  That is apparently correct.  I grabbed a linux live disc, but haven't booted it up under that.  apparently I can decrypt from there, but I need to root to get the decryption key...

I'm faced with two options

1. Root, get the decryption key, attempt to decrypt, then start over or go full monty and toss CM on the phone

2. forget the adopted storage, wipe it and start over.

I really wish google offered a way to provide the decryption key or some better error messages to know what went wrong with the adoptable storage.  The SD Card has been in my device basically since day one, it was only removed when i needed to get the Feb security update and I pulled the SIM.

I'm frustrated with Lenovo/Moto as this device was advertised/sold as a "Pure Google" experience, but we haven't gotten 6.0.1 and are hanging out on the Feb security update.  My plan was to sell the phone when the new Nexus comes out in the fall, but unlocking/rooting will void the warranty.

Also the fact that CA isn't enabled/doesn't work is frustrating too.  Not sure if that is Sprint or Lenovo to blame there...

If anyone can think of a third option, I'm open to suggestions.

• Like 2

Well crap, my adoptable storage took a dump on Monday. Not sure the issue as I can't get to any logs, Android sees the card and "checks" it when inserted, then gives a message that the card is not there. I put the card into my Windows box and it sees it as a SCSI storage device, but nothing more. That is apparently correct. I grabbed a linux live disc, but haven't booted it up under that. apparently I can decrypt from there, but I need to root to get the decryption key...

I'm faced with two options

1. Root, get the decryption key, attempt to decrypt, then start over or go full monty and toss CM on the phone

2. forget the adopted storage, wipe it and start over.

I really wish google offered a way to provide the decryption key or some better error messages to know what went wrong with the adoptable storage. The SD Card has been in my device basically since day one, it was only removed when i needed to get the Feb security update and I pulled the SIM.

I'm frustrated with Lenovo/Moto as this device was advertised/sold as a "Pure Google" experience, but we haven't gotten 6.0.1 and are hanging out on the Feb security update. My plan was to sell the phone when the new Nexus comes out in the fall, but unlocking/rooting will void the warranty.

Also the fact that CA isn't enabled/doesn't work is frustrating too. Not sure if that is Sprint or Lenovo to blame there...

If anyone can think of a third option, I'm open to suggestions.

Feeling almost all your pains bro. Sucks ass. Very disappointed with Motorola this year.

• Like 2

Well, I'm screwed no matter what, unlocking/rooting clears user data, so I'd lose my encryption key from vold anyways

May security patch is rolling out, no 6.0.1 though. Zip is available at XDA and can be side loaded

• 2 weeks later...

Tried using a mhl to my TV and didn't work? Is there a setting I need to change or dose it not support it.

MXPE doesn't support MHL, it supports miracast for screen mirroring.  You can either do it over an existing wireless network that both your phone and TV are connected to or via Wifi Direct.  Wifi Direct is a private network between your phone and the TV that streams to the TV, uses your mobile data for pulling in the video.

MXPE doesn't support MHL, it supports miracast for screen mirroring. You can either do it over an existing wireless network that both your phone and TV are connected to or via Wifi Direct. Wifi Direct is a private network between your phone and the TV that streams to the TV, uses your mobile data for pulling in the video.

I know I need a adapter for that, I've seen a few but do not know witch is the best to get. I know Microsoft has one but uses USB as power and my older Vizio tv dose not have a USB port.

I know I need a adapter for that, I've seen a few but do not know witch is the best to get. I know Microsoft has one but uses USB as power and my older Vizio tv dose not have a USB port.

Most devices like Chromecast, Firestick and the Microsoft adapter require usb power. You can plug them directly into a wall outlet. Chromcast and Firestick come with the 110 adapter and actually recommend the 110 over the usb port on your tv. I have all 3 and use them a lot. I don't have a preference for any 1 device. Chromcast is a little more friendly with Samsung devices but you get a better bang for your buck on the Firestick. Chromecast and Firestick require wifi and Microsoft doesn't.

Look for a miracast adapter, should plug into the wall or USB and an HDMI port.

LG and Samsung TVs support wifi direct and miracast natively.

Most devices like Chromecast, Firestick and the Microsoft adapter require usb power. You can plug them directly into a wall outlet. Chromcast and Firestick come with the 110 adapter and actually recommend the 110 over the usb port on your tv. I have all 3 and use them a lot. I don't have a preference for any 1 device. Chromcast is a little more friendly with Samsung devices but you get a better bang for your buck on the Firestick. Chromecast and Firestick require wifi and Microsoft doesn't.

I'd have to get the Microsoft one since I don't have wifi at home anymore, isp company went for $30 a month to $80 and wouldn't drop it to a reasonable rate so I dropped them. Then I'll find a USB adapter to the wall. Might try the always on USB on my Xbox though.

I'd have to get the Microsoft one since I don't have wifi at home anymore, isp company went for $30 a month to $80 and wouldn't drop it to a reasonable rate so I dropped them. Then I'll find a USB adapter to the wall. Might try the always on USB on my Xbox though.

a simple usb cell phone charging 110 plug will work. You will needto get a usb extension also. I believe the microsoft cable is only 2 feet and it is built in to the unit. 

https://www.amazon.com/Miracast-Foxcesd-Mirroring-Streaming-Projector/dp/B01DLFQYC8/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1469629117&sr=1-1&keywords=Miracast+dongle

Cheap Miracast dongle from Amazon

I'm willing to pay for a decent one that won't lag on videos, I've read some reviews saying that some will lag behind or have bad quality for a few seconds. I'll look into that one when I get off work.

I'm willing to pay for a decent one that won't lag on videos, I've read some reviews saying that some will lag behind or have bad quality for a few seconds. I'll look into that one when I get off work.

I will say the Microsoft one is great. The only thing I will complain a little about and might be slightly my fault is that it overheated twice and had to be unplugged until it cooled off. Other than that I stream videos, music, PowerPoints and sky call for many hours. The over heating part stopped because I moved it out of the tv stand and plugged it into the front of the tv.

• Like 1

I will say the Microsoft one is great. The only thing I will complain a little about and might be slightly my fault is that it overheated twice and had to be unplugged until it cooled off. Other than that I stream videos, music, PowerPoints and sky call for many hours. The over heating part stopped because I moved it out of the tv stand and plugged it into the front of the tv.

I shouldn't have a over heating problem, I have 2 nactua(spelled wrong) low speed fans moving air in my entertainment center just to keep if cool. I'll look into one for sure. I'm willing to pay more for quality.

If I stay on Sprint I'm going to dump the moto x. While it's a great photo it's clear that Sprint never bothered to integrate it into their network properly. From my experience over the the past year :

CA doesn't work

Domestic roaming doesn't work, native Sprint coverage only.

I have Sprint open world but could not get data in Canada.

I'm going to get an iPhone for the simple fact that it's the only phone you can easily take to other carriers that Sprint knows how to support property, and has wifi calling.