Moto X 2015 "Pure Edition" [users thread]

nexuss4g

Didn't I tell you that it was going to work with Sprint? :rolleyes:

Good to know Sprint is onboard. Hopefully more OEM's jump the direct-sales bandwagon with quality multiband unlocked devices. Win-win.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Just FYI, staff has known for several weeks that the tested RF performance of this Moto X is only about average. In other words, not great. It may be a jack of all trades, master of none. We will run an update to our existing article, write a follow up article, or post here with ERP/EIRP figures -- once we have confirmed with Sprint that this handset will be whitelisted.

AJ

Now that it has been confirmed when can we expect an update on the article or an official write up? And are the figures close to Nexus 6 or less than?

Now that it has been confirmed when can we expect an update on the article or an official write up?

Soon™.

AJ

• Like 1

Just FYI, staff has known for several weeks that the tested RF performance of this Moto X is only about average. In other words, not great. It may be a jack of all trades, master of none. We will run an update to our existing article, write a follow up article, or post here with ERP/EIRP figures -- once we have confirmed with Sprint that this handset will be whitelisted.

AJ

That's interesting. Did they get rid of the dynamic antenna that was supposed to help out with that?

They probably removed that feature to cut costs. 

Please say that isn't the case when it is officially released. That is a major pain point for devices as they lose signal just from picking up the device! I hope that isn't the case one reason I really wanted last years Moto X 2014 model.

That's interesting. Did they get rid of the dynamic antenna that was supposed to help out with that?

Yeah, that possibility crossed my mind, too.  Fortunately, we will know for certain at some point.  Since the 2015 Moto X is operator agnostic and exclusively sold unlocked, AnandTech surely will do an extensive review, including a breakdown of the RF components.

In the meantime, staff here is working on putting together a side by side comparison of the FCC OET RF testing figures for the 2015 Moto X, Nexus 6, and 2014 Moto X.

AJ

• Like 6

Honestly as long as performance stays consistent I would be fine with a just average radio. But that's just me coming from a Nexus 5 whose radio seemingly got nerfed and the iPhone 6 which has had a crappy carrier update for the summer...we will see.

You asked for a comparison -- you got it.

AJ

[/size]

Those numbers aren't discouraging! On par and between the two devices for the necessary bands for Sprint it appears but slightly depressed overall as you said.

Those numbers aren't discouraging! On par and between the two devices for the necessary bands for Sprint it appears but slightly depressed overall as you said.

No, they are not bad.  They are what I would call average.  I just doubt that the 2015 Moto X will live up to the RF performance standards set by the 2014 Moto X and the Nexus 6.

Keep in mind that 2-3 dB differences may not seem like a lot, but if you look at the figures in mW instead, the differences become apparent.  For example, 20 dBm is 100 mW, while 23 dBm is 200 mW.

AJ

• Like 1

No, they are not bad. They are what I would call average. I just doubt that the 2015 Moto X will live up to the RF performance standards set by the 2014 Moto X and the Nexus 6.

Keep in mind that 2-3 dB differences may not seem like a lot, but if you look at the figures in mW instead, the differences become apparent. For example, 20 dBm is 100 mW, while 23 dBm is 200 mW.

AJ

Can someone either explain or link me to an article that explains the significance of the numbers above in context. I've been looking, but can't find much of an explanation and I know we have people who enjoy helping those less fortunate (me in this case). Any takers?
  • Like 1

No, they are not bad.  They are what I would call average.  I just doubt that the 2015 Moto X will live up to the RF performance standards set by the 2014 Moto X and the Nexus 6.

Keep in mind that 2-3 dB differences may not seem like a lot, but if you look at the figures in mW instead, the differences become apparent.  For example, 20 dBm is 100 mW, while 23 dBm is 200 mW.

AJ

This may be true, but it will be a definite upgrade to my HTC one m8! I noticed that it drops off in fringe situations on band 41 a lot faster than my partners LG g3! That's something I would appreciate not happen as often.

AJ, how do the numbers compare to the Galaxy S4T?  I'm looking at an upgrade in the next 8 weeks and I'm really impressed with the specs, etc for this device.  I just need something that is comparable to my current phone.

AJ, how do the numbers compare to the Galaxy S4T? I'm looking at an upgrade in the next 8 weeks and I'm really impressed with the specs, etc for this device. I just need something that is comparable to my current phone.

Comparable how? According to the numbers, RF performance is really the only thing that the S4T outclasses the new Moto X in.

Sent from my M8

Comparable how? According to the numbers, RF performance is really the only thing that the S4T outclasses the new Moto X in.

Sent from my M8

RF is my concern, how large is the gap between S4T and the Moto X Pure in the OET docs?

Moto X Pure available 09/03/15

It’s all happening September 3rd. 21MP camera. 30hr battery on 1 charge. Octa/Hexa core processor. 5.7in Quad HD Display. http://bit.ly/1J3S5ZZ #MotoX#MyMoto

Source: https://plus.google.com/+Motorola/posts/NLVymP7iiWV

• Like 3

RF is my concern, how large is the gap between S4T and the Moto X Pure in the OET docs?

No idea on the S4T numbers, but here's the Moto X 2015 RF comparisons with the previous devices.

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/7063-moto-x-2015/?p=435129

The S4T had great RF performance, possibly the best tri-band device on Sprint's network (aside from the N5.)  But the article (and FCC doc) does not show the values needed to judge.

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/blog/1/entry-356-teaser-samsung-galaxy-s4-2-3/

• Like 1