Moto X 2015 "Pure Edition" [users thread]

nexuss4g

Not the only error on the specs site

http://phandroid.com/2015/07/28/moto-x-style-verizon/

Not so fast.  Motorola or Phandroid may end up with egg on its face over this one.  Bar none, the "UC2" variant is not authorized for band 13 nor CDMA2000.  Unless it gets a Class II Permissive Change filing or the "UC1" variant also ends up as a Pure Edition, both parties are at least partly wrong.  The only accurate part is that there is a Moto X Style that is compatible with VZW -- it just may not be the Pure Edition.

And, just to be clear, Moto X Style is what the 2015 version is being called, right?

AJ

Not so fast.  Motorola or Phandroid may end up with egg on its face over this one.  Bar none, the "UC2" variant is not authorized for band 13 nor CDMA2000.  Unless it gets a Class II Permissive Change filing or the "UC1" variant also ends up as a Pure Edition, both parties are at least partly wrong.  The only accurate part is that there is a Moto X Style that is compatible with VZW -- it just may not be the Pure Edition.

And, just to be clear, Moto X Style is what the 2015 version is being called, right?

AJ

Yes, my understanding is that Style = Pure. Apparently Motorola has no plans currently to sell the Play model in the US.

My personal concern is will sprint whitelist the Moto X variant for their network.

The pure phone is already confirmed to be unlocked and working with all carriers (said in the announcement)

The current price of the Nexus 6 is $499. Different yes, but not that much different.

I would not compare the current price of a nine month old handset to the current price of a new handset.  Compare the starting prices of both.

AJ

The current price of the Nexus 6 is $499. Different yes, but not that much different.

Yeah, but that's a closeout price in the N6. All the Moto X derivatives dropped in price the past few months as the new releases started to become imminent. The fact that the Moto X 2013 went on discount prior to the Moto X 2014 being released didn't mean that the new 2014 was offered cheaper. The 2014 was offered at full price and 2013 at a discount.

Since there are two Nexus derivatives expected this year, one of them is likely to be less expensive. But the current discount Nexus 6 pricing doesn't have much foretelling about the new ones.

Using Tapatalk on Nexus 6

I would not compare the current price of a nine month old handset to the current price of a new handset. Compare the starting prices of both.

AJ

I was typing a similar thought. [emoji38]

The pure phone is already confirmed to be unlocked and working with all carriers (said in the announcement)

Yeah, but like AJ noted, for FCC approval they actually sent TWO variants. One with CDMA and Verizon/Sprint support and one without. Very confusing indeed since they specs they list on Moto's site do indeed match up with the "GSM" model, and yet they claim that it is "pure" and one variant should work with all carriers. Go figure.

Yes, my understanding is that Style = Pure. Apparently Motorola has no plans currently to sell the Play model in the US.

This naming convention is scatterbrained.  But I guess that Motorola did not want to release just a "Moto X" for the third year in a row.

Somebody should post a succinct rundown of what is what.

AJ

AJ

B13 officially added to Moto Tech page. UC1=Pure?

http://www.motorola.com/us/smartphones/moto-x-pure.html#specs-moto-x-pure-us

Moto X Style = 2015 Moto X Pure Edition = no bueno on Sprint?

Moto X Play = 2015 Moto X = no bueno in US?

???

This is all no bueno...

AJ

B13 officially added to Moto Tech page. UC1=Pure?

http://www.motorola.com/us/smartphones/moto-x-pure.html#specs-moto-x-pure-us

No band 26.  Still, no bueno...

AJ

Two tenths of an inch is a deal breaker for you? That's about the width of this O. If you can live with 5.5, you can live with 5.7.

Using Nexus 6 on Tapatalk

I would already be settling with 5.5" screen. My optimal screen size is 5.2". It's the reason I didn't jump to the G3, and it's the reason I didn't jump to the G4. The specs of the Pure/Style version are great...aside from size. I can't just be quarter inch'd to death! My only hope now is the Nexus later this year, hopefully with a SD 820.

Sent from my M8

My only hope now is the Nexus later this year, hopefully with a SD 820.

Help me, Nexus Kenobi.  You're my only hope.

AJ

• Like 2

Help me, Nexus Kenobi.  You're my only hope.

AJ

Nexus 2015: Return of the LG.

I hope the new Nexus will be priced around this range. I love my Nexus 5 and when I tried the Nexus 6 I just didn't like the size or the price of it. 

• Like 1

If the moto x style/pure is the uc1 variant, there is still a typo as it does support band 26 as per article on the FCC filing. Just wish marketing materials would reflect properly to avoid confusion.

Plus being able to work on network and be explicitly supported are two different things. As is the case that happened with the moto x 2014 edition. So I'm hopeful the wording is at its being used. That all carriers are on board to support. As they don't have to house space for the device themselves. I also hope this sets precedence in using modems for all US national carrier network off contract devices. Sprint phones need to be added to database to work. Verizon just needs to be an active LTE sim to operate on its network most cases I've read.

Just curious...will Sprint carry the Play version at all? Or just the Pure?

As stated in the launch event, the Play version will be available only outside the US. No Sprint.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I would already be settling with 5.5" screen. My optimal screen size is 5.2". It's the reason I didn't jump to the G3, and it's the reason I didn't jump to the G4. The specs of the Pure/Style version are great...aside from size. I can't just be quarter inch'd to death! My only hope now is the Nexus later this year, hopefully with a SD 820.

Sent from my M8

Agreed. 5.2" is my favorite too. But I'm willing to do 5.5. So I'm willing to do 5.7. I'm looking forward to going smaller than this Nexus 6. Even if it's just a little bit.

http://fortune.com/2015/07/28/motorola-carriers-devices/?xid=yahoo_fortune

Come launch day, you won’t find a single Moto X Pure Edition at a carrier store. Here’s why:

I don't know if a Fortune.com article can be believed.  If this is true, I don't think it is good news for Sprint users.

Agreed. 5.2" is my favorite too. But I'm willing to do 5.5. So I'm willing to do 5.7. I'm looking forward to going smaller than this Nexus 6. Even if it's just a little bit.

I had a hard time reaching the pulldown bar at the top of the G3 when I first tried a 5.5" phone. I often use my phone one handed so it's very handy to keep the size in check. I wish the M9 didn't have heat issues because it's a great phone otherwise.

Definitely going to hold out for the Nexus, especially since the Moto phones for this year are coming out in September.

The Pure phone seems to be trying to take a jab Samsung's Note. Around the same size screen, with the additional specs/perks that Note users would typically have (aside from the S pen.)

I had a hard time reaching the pulldown bar at the top of the G3 when I first tried a 5.5" phone.  I often use my phone one handed so it's very handy to keep the size in check.  I wish the M9 didn't have heat issues because it's a great phone otherwise.

Definitely going to hold out for the Nexus, especially since the Moto phones for this year are coming out in September.

Use Nova Launcher, with pull down from anywhere on the screen to pull down notification shade.  It's the best for larger phones.  (All kinds of custom actions are possible)

• Like 1

Use Nova Launcher, with pull down from anywhere on the screen to pull down notification shade.  It's the best for larger phones.  (All kinds of custom actions are possible)

I definitely love Nova Launcher and I do use it, even for those reasons!  But that work-around doesn't work when I'm within apps. 

http://fortune.com/2015/07/28/motorola-carriers-devices/?xid=yahoo_fortune

I don't know if a Fortune.com article can be believed.  If this is true, I don't think it is good news for Sprint users.

At the end of the article states: "Will Motorola’s new approach work? It’s hard to say. Motorola made it clear after the event ended that it still has more devices left to announce this year, and it’s unclear if those devices whether or not those devices will launch with carrier partnerships." Hopefully, they announce something around the time the new Nexus 2015 arrives.