Sprint Complete Network

hmm ok that makes sense and also does the nexus 6 work great on Sprint I may want to get one ...and also ESMR is there a power output limit mandated by the fcc

For mobiles, 100 W.

But why are you even asking that question?

AJ

For mobiles, 100 W.

But why are you even asking that question?

AJ

The better question is how does this compare to the other similar low bands?

The better question is how does this compare to the other similar low bands?

In practical application, that question has zero pertinence.

SMR 800 MHz (Part 90) is limited to 100 W.  Cellular 850 MHz (Part 22) is limited to 7 W.  PCS 1900 MHz (Part 24) is limited to 2 W.  AWS-1 1700+2100 MHz (Part 27) is limited to 1 W.

No matter.  Mobile output is measured in milliwatts, not watts.  No modern device really pushes the envelope or gains an advantage based on those regulations.

AJ

• Like 1

SMR 800 MHz (Part 90) is limited to 100 W.  Cellular 850 MHz (Part 22) is limited to 7 W.  PCS 1900 MHz (Part 24) is limited to 2 W.  AWS-1 1700+2100 MHz (Part 27) is limited to 1 W.

No matter.  Mobile output is measured in milliwatts, not watts.  No modern device really pushes the envelope or gains an advantage based on those regulations.

AJ

Yup, could you imagine your battery life is our phones pushed that power output.  lol.

• Like 1

Yup, could you imagine your battery life is our phones pushed that power output.  lol.

I am sure the wackos that scream about the radiation hazard of cell phones would have fun with it too.

Does tower-side output even matter that much?  If the tower is unable to hear your request for a web page, it won't be able to deliver it.

- Trip

I would imagine a higher power output could make a difference if B41 operated as supplemental downlink in carrier aggregation to a B26 PCC, for example.

Yup, could you imagine your battery life is our phones pushed that power output. lol.

It'd be like the dark ages of Cellular Technology.

Sent from Josh's iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk

what i am trying to say is ...doesnt the ESMR band they own have build out requirements to cover a certain POPS

As noted before, the Nextel coverage sufficed to meet the build-out requirements for ESMR at the time. That said, I believe the FCC could theoretically take action against Sprint for failing to maintain substantial service if there are licensed ESMR markets where it previously met the build-out requirement (when Nextel service was live) but is no longer doing so, although they're unlikely to do so until well after rebanding is done. Certainly the lawyers for the other three major carriers won't let the FCC forget this requirement, even if the commission itself wants to.

However, the PCS G block that Sprint received as part of its compensation for vacating some of ESMR has its own, independent build out requirement, at the vague "substantial service" standard. Hence Sprint's purchase of wireless assets in Montana and the western Dakotas.

• Like 1

As noted before, the Nextel coverage sufficed to meet the build-out requirements for ESMR at the time. That said, I believe the FCC could theoretically take action against Sprint for failing to maintain substantial service if there are licensed ESMR markets where it previously met the build-out requirement (when Nextel service was live) but is no longer doing so...

Here is the rebanded SMR 800 MHz X block license for the home office in Overland Park:

http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/UlsSearch/license.jsp?licKey=8190

Spot checking other rebanded licenses, it is representative of them, too.  So, license renewal/expiration in most BEAs is almost exactly three years to the day from now.  Around that time, the FCC may look at any loss of service, but it would have to be egregious for the FCC not to grant renewal.

AJ

SMR 800 MHz (Part 90) is limited to 100 W. Cellular 850 MHz (Part 22) is limited to 7 W. PCS 1900 MHz (Part 24) is limited to 2 W. AWS-1 1700+2100 MHz (Part 27) is limited to 1 W.

No matter. Mobile output is measured in milliwatts, not watts. No modern device really pushes the envelope or gains an advantage based on those regulations.

AJ

Not that it has any real meaning, but why is SMR allowed so much more output power?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Not that it has any real meaning, but why is SMR allowed so much more output power?

High site, low density dispatch.

AJ

• Like 2

hmm ok that makes sense and also does the nexus 6 work great on Sprint I may want to get one ...and also ESMR is there a power output limit mandated by the fcc

Works very well on Sprint especially in the SNR department

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

It seems as though what you said isn't exactly true. The link provided says "Created and maintained by the NTIA, in collaboration with the FCC" at the bottom of the page. It's more of a guesstimation that they do for nearly every carrier and cable co in the country. The numbers are fairly accurate considering what the carriers advertise.

As someone whose network is represented on that map, I can tell you that the government did not produce the data for that map. They aggregated it from the different state-directed non-profits or agencies. Those agencies may have generated the mapping data or the provider may have submitted it to them.

It is not like the FCC is aggressive in going after those who fail to build out anyway. There are plenty of spectrum squatters around.

That's on the list of things to get to for my trade association.

• Like 1

As someone whose network is represented on that map, I can tell you that the government did not produce the data for that map. They aggregated it from the different state-directed non-profits or agencies. Those agencies may have generated the mapping data or the provider may have submitted it to them.

I realize that. I was simply stating that the government does in fact keep some sort of info about POP's as made evident by the existence of the site. Not that they get it for themselves.

I realize that. I was simply stating that the government does in fact keep some sort of info about POP's as made evident by the existence of the site. Not that they get it for themselves.

I don't believe so. They keep coverage areas and said coverage areas are available for people to download as shapefiles and come up with their own statistics.

I don't believe so. They keep coverage areas and said coverage areas are available for people to download as shapefiles and come up with their own statistics.

The thing is though, the POP count is really explicit as well as seems rather correct which is why I keep repeating that it isn't just people downloading and coming up with numbers. There is a method to this madness and I think it involves the gov't much more than you're willing to give credit for. NTIA claims to have created and maintained this map themselves.

The thing is though, the POP count is really explicit as well as seems rather correct which is why I keep repeating that it isn't just people downloading and coming up with numbers. There is a method to this madness and I think it involves the gov't much more than you're willing to give credit for. NTIA claims to have created and maintained this map themselves.

Where are these pop counts that you are talking about coming from this website? I have never seen any pop counts on the website. They are pretty easy to calculate, however. You load in the census shapefiles as well as the National Broadband map shapefiles. You select by attributes on the National Broadband map files and search for the company of interest and the technology of interest. You save that as a separate layer. Using clip the census shapefiles to the company and technology coverage layer, which will give you call census blocks that provider covers. You then simply add up All of the population count fields.

Where are these pop counts that you are talking about coming from this website? I have never seen any pop counts on the website. They are pretty easy to calculate, however. You load in the census shapefiles as well as the National Broadband map shapefiles. You select by attributes on the National Broadband map files and search for the company of interest and the technology of interest. You save that as a separate layer. Using clip the census shapefiles to the company and technology coverage layer, which will give you call census blocks that provider covers. You then simply add up All of the population count fields.

The site is more than just maps. Here's one for example.

I was actually wrong. I'm reading into it a bit more and I see that NTIA aggregates the data that they get from the broadband providers.

As a broadband provider who submitted his own network coverage data....  ;-)

PS: I didn't know they have the population counts on the ISP pages. I guess I never got that far on their site.

• Like 1

I was actually wrong. I'm reading into it a bit more and I see that NTIA aggregates the data that they get from the broadband providers.

I am here to accept your apology at any time.

;)

AJ

• Like 1