Google Nexus 5X by LG (codename "Bullhead")

PythonFanPA

What's old is new again in phone design, I take it.

Samsung with the glass backs on the GS6 and Note 5, and now this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I'll note that this leaked "real life" photo matches the "unofficial" render almost perfectly, so the front may very well end up looking like the render photo.

lg-nexus-5-2015-render-6.jpg

I am curious about the silver circle.  Hopefully that is a fingerprint scanner.  Also I would like to see and confirm if the Nexus 5 2015 will use the USB Type-C port.

When the 2015 Nexus 5 comes out, will you be able to do a 24 month lease or Easy Pay to pay for the phone?  Was that available with the old Nexus 5?

Of course it will be available.  All the carriers are pushing hard for customers to do the Easy Pay or lease options vs. the 2 year subsidized model.

Put it this way, my official 2 year contract ends in Oct 2015 so I can't upgrade to a new phone via 2 year contract and is strict on that but if I chose to do a 24 month lease or Easy Pay option to buy any smartphone now, it would allow me to do so.

• Like 1

Of course it will be available.  All the carriers are pushing hard for customers to do the Easy Pay or lease options vs. the 2 year subsidized model.

Put it this way, my official 2 year contract ends in Oct 2015 so I can't upgrade to a new phone via 2 year contract and is strict on that but if I chose to do a 24 month lease or Easy Pay option to buy any smartphone now, it would allow me to do so.

Ok.  Just wondering since I think the new Moto X won't be sold by Sprint, so you won't be able to pay for that with easy pay or lease.  I didn't know if Google was going to sell their phone the same way.

I am curious about the silver circle. Hopefully that is a fingerprint scanner. Also I would like to see and confirm if the Nexus 5 2015 will use the USB Type-C port.

According to almost every leak that is a fingerprint scanner. Almost all are also stating that the device will ship with USB-C. I think Google said at the Chromebook Pixel launch that all of its devices going forward would have USB-C.

Sent from my Tab 4

Also I would like to see and confirm if the Nexus 5 2015 will use the USB Type-C port.

Meh.  I like my high powered USB 2.0 charger from my old HP TouchPad.  It charges all of my devices well -- that is, until USB Type-C makes an inconvenient appearance.  Some of you guys excited about the reversible plug seem to be lazy or klutzes.

31eeFOuODPL.jpg

AJ

Meh. I like my high powered USB 2.0 charger from my old HP TouchPad. It charges all of my devices well -- that is, until USB Type-C makes an inconvenient appearance. Some of you guys excited about the reversible plug seem to be lazy or klutzes.

31eeFOuODPL.jpg

AJ

I'm all for new things, but I do agree with this. I have numerous chargers available to me, even at work. I'll need to purchase new cables if I want to charge my next phone in those same places.

Sent from my M8

Meh.  I like my high powered USB 2.0 charger from my old HP TouchPad.  It charges all of my devices well -- that is, until USB Type-C makes an inconvenient appearance.  Some of you guys excited about the reversible plug seem to be lazy or klutzes.

AJ

I'm all for new things, but I do agree with this. I have numerous chargers available to me, even at work. I'll need to purchase new cables if I want to charge my next phone in those same places.

Sent from my M8

As you already know, its not just about reversibility:

http://www.howtogeek.com/211843/usb-type-c-explained-what-it-is-and-why-youll-want-it/

You can still use that trusty power brick AJ, no problems.  Just going to need a billion little adapter pieces for your current cords so they can charge to the USB-C.  They will be probably $0.01 from Amazon just like the USB mini to micro adapters were a few years back.  I actually prefer these little adapters because not all my devices will miraculously be USB-C, so popping off a little adapter is easier than having a second cord.  

EMBRACE THE FUTURE! :) 

You can still use that trusty power brick AJ, no problems.  Just going to need a billion little adapter pieces for your current cords so they can charge to the USB-C.

Because the HP TouchPad actual high power transformer can be separated from the USB cable, I know that I can continue to use it.  But I do not want to have to use adaptors.  That is the antithesis of convenience.

Little adaptors on the nightstand.

Little adaptors made of ticky tacky.

AJ

Because the HP TouchPad actual high power transformer can be separated from the USB cable, I know that I can continue to use it.  But I do not want to have to use adaptors.  That is the antithesis of convenience.

Little adaptors on the nightstand.

Little adaptors made of ticky tacky.

AJ

a3b613a0a227d0b5615887ec44622b3dcf35a10f

Having a little adapter in a couple locations will help bridge the gap.  When they had the mini to micro ones, I had a couple that were a short cord with a little string attached to them that you could wrap around the mini USB cord.  Made it real handy if I had another device to charge with a mini versus the micro.  It's a temporary solution until the other devices in your life go to USB-C.  I for one mainly use wireless charging so its rare that I plug mine in. 

Sent from my M8

I do agree that having to get new cables will be a PITA but in this case the change is for the better. Eventually we will have to migrate there anyways so at some point you will have to move. There will be adapters to enable the transition and like any of us who use multiple electronic device you will have a ton of spare cables to sacrifice with usb-c adapters attached to them.

I dont think the iphone users are complaining about letting go of the 30- pin connector for the lightning port connector.

I dont like the fingerprint scanner on the back, this means you must be holding the phone to use your fingerprint, versus it laying on your desk or in your car phone holder.

However on the back scanner is better than none!

• Like 1

31eeFOuODPL.jpg

AJ

Out with the old, in with the new.

You are still maxed out with how many amps that your phone can/will take.

Better off going with a newer quick charge 2.0 charger that can send amps over 9V or 12V instead of 5V.

More efficient, less waste, faster charging.  USB Type C has faster charging (cable can handle more power) and faster data transmission speeds.  Beyond the new plug, Type C is a far superior cable that will replace the antiquated microUSB (finally).

• Like 1

Out with the old, in with the new.

You are still maxed out with how many amps that your phone can/will take.

Better off going with a newer quick charge 2.0 charger that can send amps over 9V or 12V instead of 5V.

More efficient, less waste, faster charging.  USB Type C has faster charging (cable can handle more power) and faster data transmission speeds.  Beyond the new plug, Type C is a far superior cable that will replace the antiquated microUSB (finally).

That does not change the fact that my 2013 Nexus 7, 2013 Nexus 5, and possibly my 2014 Moto X are not going anywhere.  They are sticking around, and both the Nexus 5 and Moto X already charge quite rapidly.  In my arsenal, the iPad mini 2 is the outlier, and it is a pain in the ass with its proprietary charger.  Fortunately, the iPad mini never leaves the house, mostly sits alone and sleeps.

AJ

• Like 1

That does not change the fact that my 2013 Nexus 7, 2013 Nexus 5, and possibly my 2014 Moto X are not going anywhere.  They are sticking around, and both the Nexus 5 and Moto X already charge quite rapidly.  In my arsenal, the iPad mini 2 is the outlier, and it is a pain in the ass with its proprietary charger.  Fortunately, the iPad mini never leaves the house, mostly sits alone and sleeps.

AJ

No love for Qi charging?  I do not use my phone's charging port for anything other than fastboot / abd.  Even have one in my car.  Love it.

I saw those supposed specs on reddit. If those are true, this would be the first nexus that not only competes from a price to performance ratio, but from a purely spec based battle with most (if not all) of the flagships. Especially if the price is <500, if it's closer to 400 this phone will be a steal and I'll likely try to get two of them.

• Like 1

Here's a link to the original twitter post of the display panels.

Note that it does contain the panels for each nexus. https://mobile.twitter.com/OnLeaks/status/636907568489721856

A more 'normal' website reporting it here (found via reddit): http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/08/31/source-new-nexus-5-by-lg-will-feature-snapdragon-808-5-2-1080p-display-3gb-ram-2700mah-battery-usb-c-and-more/

Same SD808, 1080p, 3GB ram, USB-C. 2700mAh battery and some other tidbits seem newly confirmed

Arggh 2700.  It's at least better than 2300, but why can't it just be in the 3000s?

• Like 1

Arggh 2700.  It's at least better than 2300, but why can't it just be in the 3000s?

I mean, it is 400mAh better than the current Nexus 5 and while it is less than the LG G4 (3000mAh) the screen resolution is also lower so it should see comparable battery life.

I do wish that Google would offer 32/64GB capacities rather than 16/32. I actually use the larger storage  :(

There's still rumors floating around of an SD card slot. I'd actually prefer removable storage myself. Also the 2700 mAh battery is better than the s6.