Sprint International Value Roaming Plan Experience!

jamesinclair

At any rate, the Bell and Telus CDMA networks will be decommissioned soon...

I still hate those Canadian turncoats.

AJ

• Like 6

I was led to believe from SWW support chat that with my iphone6+, so long as I have IVR, and I am in an IVR country, my phone will not connect to a network that is not 'with' the IVR program.    See below from my chat transcript:

That's how I thought it would work too, but his experience differs.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I was connected for the most part to Rogers Wireless.  I don't know how just by having the IVR add-on to your account that it can prevent a phone from searching for airwaves from Bell and Telus especially if they use the same frequencies.  I find that hard to believe.  Unless my phone had to download some sort of program to use IVR and run it which can be configured in some configuration file to look for specific carriers and frequencies for each country, I don't see that happening.

Will be traveling to mexico tomorrow. Already activated my phone with his add on. The plans seems to offer data and text, does this also include MMS? Such as picture messaging?

Will be traveling to mexico tomorrow. Already activated my phone with his add on. The plans seems to offer data and text, does this also include MMS? Such as picture messaging?

Yep, there's no extra charge for MMS.

I asked them where the charges came from.  The sprint rep said it looks like you were connected to 3G at some point and that is where the charges came from.  And then when he said that it hit me that at one point, I saw my phone display the "3G" icon vs. the "GSM" icon.  I just assumed that even though it said "3G" that my speeds would be throttled to 2G speeds.  So the Sprint rep put me on hold and about 5 minutes later, the sprint rep told me that they will credit my account for the amount charged.

I should have known about it and just set my phone mode to GSM/UTMS and avoided the fiasco.  Basically the Sprint rep told me that normally when people are going to travel internationally, they advise calling their phone number to give you the run down steps on how to prep your phone to use the International Value Roaming data plan to avoid connecting to non GSM networks.

This is why I made sure to call twice (see the OP) to guarantee if I was charged Id be credited. I was told it would be impossible to incur a charge,

Also, if you look at the OP, youll see my phone also displayed 3G at some point, along with H+ and E

This is why I made sure to call twice (see the OP) to guarantee if I was charged Id be credited. I was told it would be impossible to incur a charge,

Also, if you look at the OP, youll see my phone also displayed 3G at some point, along with H+ and E

My account was credited for the my Canada 3G usage...so Sprint did follow through with what they said.

• Like 3

Reporting back after my trip, very satisfied with the service. Was connected to Movistar, speeds were decent, as I was able to use Google Maps for navigation, check facebook, upload a few pics to instagram and reply to texts I received as well as sending some MMS.

My Moto X required me to go under settings and toggle GSM/UMTS to connect to the network.

No settings change under the iPhone only thing I had to do was toggle airplane mode a few times as it displayed No Service.

• Like 1

My daughter just flew through Dublin to London, and she  was able to send and receive texts on her GS5 on the first try in both places. Apparently her boyfriend's iPhone 5c also worked. 

One question: Is the $0.20 per minute only for calls to international numbers, or also to/from USA numbers? 

• Like 1

My daughter just flew through Dublin to London, and she was able to send and receive texts on her GS5 on the first try in both places. Apparently her boyfriend's iPhone 5c also worked.

One question: Is the $0.20 per minute only for calls to international numbers, or also to/from USA numbers?

If they call USA from wherever, it's $0.20 per minute too. And believe me, that adds up fast.

Sent from Josh's iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk

If they call USA from wherever, it's $0.20 per minute too. And believe me, that adds up fast.

Sent from Josh's iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk

What about if I call them?

Just got back from a trip to israel. When I got there Israel wasn't included but when I found out it was it wouldn't work. A quick call to Sprint fixed the problem. Only problem was that i couldn't receive calls. They couldn't figure it out and wanted to reset my network connection but said they couldn't unless i was in the US. Speeds were capped at .06Mbps but the upload speeds weren't capped at all and would reach over 1Mbps. PIng was constantly ~477 and I think this was due to using a sprint server/APN to cap speeds. The roaming partner there is Partner or Orange as its marketed in Israel. I had a local Orange sim card and Ping was much lower with speed tests but the upload speeds were about the same. I managed to use about half a Gb while I was there. 

I also use the service during my layover in Moscow Russia both on the way there and home. Download speeds where capped at .06 and upload speeds would maxout a little slower. Ping was high as well. 

• Like 3

• 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

2G roaming in Australia provided the bare usability as expected.  Good.  Better than nothing! :)

I did buy the $25 7-day 200MB of 3G data, though, because I needed to use Uber to go on a date with a visiting New Zealand woman.   :D

• Like 3

2G roaming in Australia provided the bare usability as expected. Good. Better than nothing! :)

I did buy the $25 7-day 200MB of 3G data, though, because I needed to use Uber to go on a date with a visiting New Zealand woman. :D

Why not just switch to open world and get 1GB of 3G data for 30$?
  • Like 2

• 1 year later...