Sprint International Value Roaming Plan Experience!

jamesinclair

Not unless you have the legacy AT&T Unlimited International Data add-on on a corporate liable account.

Very rare but they are out there.  I know someone with it - still unlimited to this day.

There are some hilarious legacy plans out there for every network. Verizon has one that only works in the Dakotas, Robert should try and get a hold of it

• 2 weeks later...

When do you guys think Sprint will announce more markets?  Hopefully by the Q2 earnings CC they will announce a lot more markets added.  Too bad it will be after my vacation is over  :(

When do you guys think Sprint will announce more markets? Hopefully by the Q2 earnings CC they will announce a lot more markets added. Too bad it will be after my vacation is over :(

I'm hoping they'll announce the Caribbean before the end of July.

• Like 5

I'm new here!

Just to relate my experiences with Sprint's IVR, I travel between the US, Canada and Mexico weekly. I was set to switch from Sprint (15+ yrs) to T-Mobile, but didn't want to lose my corp discount and unlimited plan. The announcement of the IVR clinched it, with the promise of future added countries.

I added IVR to my plan via a phone call to the Intl Support desk and had no problem calling and connecting in Mexico. I'm going to Cancun tomorrow, and will report my findings upon my return.

Using the S5 (and my wife's iPhone 6+) in Canada proved problematic. After an hour on the phone with Sprint Intl, we determined that IVR *MUST* be taken off your plan for your phone to roam in Canada, and "Allow Intl Calls" enabled. What's worse is that this switch cannot be done online, a phone call to Sprint is necessary. When Canada is added to the IVR plan (and Sprint told me "soon"), this services reconfiguration will no longer be necessary, but it's a royal pain until then.

To summarize:

For Mexico, add "International Value Roaming" and remove "Enable International Calls".

For Canada, remove IVR and add "enable intl calls".

Makes sense, right??? :unsure:

Is this still the case with Canada? I'm going there this weekend and it would be great to use my phone there. What's the number for international sprint support. Anyone have any experience with Toronto and Ontario in general? Will I get a roaming indicator or will it look like native coverage?

Is this still the case with Canada? I'm going there this weekend and it would be great to use my phone there. What's the number for international sprint support. Anyone have any experience with Toronto and Ontario in general? Will I get a roaming indicator or will it look like native coverage?

Are you asking about calling or data?  If its data, then Canada is not yet supported under the IVR plan.  Hopefully by the Q2 earnings call Sprint will release a decent update of new IVR markets hopefully most first and second world countries so that it can be even useful for most folks.

Are you asking about calling or data? If its data, then Canada is not yet supported under the IVR plan. Hopefully by the Q2 earnings call Sprint will release a decent update of new IVR markets hopefully most first and second world countries so that it can be even useful for most folks.

Oh man. Thanks for the heads up. I totally thought they were included. This sucks.

Oh man. Thanks for the heads up. I totally thought they were included. This sucks.

There was a rumor a while back that Canada being added was imminent, with a specific start date even, but apparently it fell through at the proverbial last minute. That may be why you thought it was already included.
  • Like 1

Speaking of Canada, the new Tmobile "Mobile Without Borders" program looks to be really good. If Hopefully Sprint steps up and tries to does the same thing eventually.

http://gizmodo.com/t-mobiles-us-phone-plan-is-expanding-to-canada-and-mexi-1716739953

It would be hard to strike a deal since Sprint won't be able to offer roaming to any potential partner due to CDMA/GSM incompatibility. Maybe LTE roaming, but LTE is still a new thing in most Mexican major cities with very few phones supporting it and Sprint has yet to announce VoLTE.

It's Marcelo's move. This is actually a good incentive from T-Mobile...too good to ignore.

It would be hard to strike a deal since Sprint won't be able to offer roaming to any potential partner due to CDMA/GSM incompatibility. Maybe LTE roaming, but LTE is still a new thing in most Mexican major cities with very few phones supporting it and Sprint has yet to announce VoLTE.

It's Marcelo's move. This is actually a good incentive from T-Mobile...too good to ignore.

I was more leaning towards the data speeds.  I could care less about the calling. I can't count the number of times when I was travelling internationally where i needed the phone calling more than the data.  

I was more leaning towards the data speeds. I could care less about the calling. I can't count the number of times when I was travelling internationally where i needed the phone calling more than the data.

You have to remember that LTE is still rather new in Mexico, so a lot of phones don't support LTE, much less Sprint's bands.

The LTE bands and use of CDMA technology will make it difficult for Sprint to negotiate with Canadian and Mexican providers.

Along with Australia, New Zealand, Israel and Palestinian Territories.

My friend got a text message bright and early this morning about IVR getting Canada roaming. I was excited to see that!

Sent from Josh's iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk

I'm in Canada at this very second! Excellent news. So I should just be able to add the service on Sprint.com and it should just work? Shouldn't look like roaming right?

Yes, you can add it and it should work. Although it can take up to 24 hours for your sim card to activate if it hasn't been used abroad before.

Your phone will be on roaming mode, so dont freak out if all the these arnings pop-up. Make sure you connect to Rogers.

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Hope they can add the Bahamas before my cruise later this year.

I wouldn't hold my breath on that one. I don't believe that T-Mobile has gotten the Bahamas added to their Global Freedom either. AFAIK there is only one wireless carrier in the Bahamas and it is partly owned by their government. They likely behave and negotiate about as well as you might expect a state sponsored entity with no competitors to.

• Like 3

Yes, you can add it and it should work. Although it can take up to 24 hours for your sim card to activate if it hasn't been used abroad before.

Your phone will be on roaming mode, so dont freak out if all the these arnings pop-up. Make sure you connect to Rogers.

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

Awesome. I saw an R indicator. Don't worry about that? How do I force Rogers if it's not on Rogers.

I got this message, should i be good to go?

Sprint s International Value Roaming provides you free unlimited text and data (up to 2G data speeds) with calls only $0.20/minute where offer is available.

Contact Sprint +1-817-698-4199 or www.sprint.com/swwsupport for roaming in other countries or for international roaming support.

Awesome. I saw an R indicator. Don't worry about that? How do I force Rogers if it's not on Rogers.

Look for a manual network selection option in the standard Settings app.

AJ

• Like 1

I don't believe that T-Mobile has gotten the Bahamas added to their Global Freedom either.

It doesn't seem like it. Looking up Bahamas on their international roaming page it says calls are $3.59/min, texts are 50 cents/ea to send but free to receive and data service is not available. With those other rates how much is data per megabyte that they won't even list the cost?

• Like 1

It doesn't seem like it. Looking up Bahamas on their international roaming page it says calls are $3.59/min, texts are 50 cents/ea to send but free to receive and data service is not available. With those other rates how much is data per megabyte that they won't even list the cost?

Lol it can't be pretty, probably why they don't even make it available. Sprint lists data in the Bahamas as $0.005/KB which, of course, can add up pretty quickly if you're not careful.