WiMax and network stress

MacinJosh

Wow. You are getting better download speeds than I do.

The sad part is, the ping time on Sprint 3G is between ~65ms and ~95ms and the consistency of speed between speedtest servers is MUCH better. Speeds are typically between 1.5mbit and 2.2mbit depending on the server.

WiMAX latency is 95ms at best. Speeds can be as low as 500kbps depending on server and time of test. Sometimes even in the middle of the night, WiMAX speedtest to certain servers is extremely slow.

This is why I am nervous about LTE-Advanced and getting kicked onto Clearwire's TD-LTE network. Performance is just so variable. I am not sure how they built out their network, but it doesn't seem very robust.

Edited by irev210

The sad part is, the ping time on Sprint 3G is between ~65ms and ~95ms and the consistency of speed between speedtest servers is MUCH better. Speeds are typically between 1.5mbit and 2.2mbit depending on the server.

WiMAX latency is 95ms at best. Speeds can be as low as 500kbps depending on server and time of test. Sometimes even in the middle of the night, WiMAX speedtest to certain servers is extremely slow.

This is why I am nervous about LTE-Advanced and getting kicked onto Clearwire's TD-LTE network. Performance is just so variable. I am not sure how they built out their network, but it doesn't seem very robust.

When Clearwire rolls out LTE they will do so better than they did with WiMax. With all the protection sites they were in a major hurry to finish, and I think they sometimes got a little sloppy even with full deployment. Also, I think Clearwire also only rolled out WiMax in a 10x10 config, and LTE should probably be in a 20x20 config, which makes for even greater data speeds. I know that with Sprint pumping in so much money to fund the LTE upgrade, they will make sure that Clearwire does it right this time.

When Clearwire rolls out LTE they will do so better than they did with WiMax. With all the protection sites they were in a major hurry to finish, and I think they sometimes got a little sloppy even with full deployment. Also, I think Clearwire also only rolled out WiMax in a 10x10 config, and LTE should probably be in a 20x20 config, which makes for even greater data speeds. I know that with Sprint pumping in so much money to fund the LTE upgrade, they will make sure that Clearwire does it right this time.

Sadly, I don't think the spectrum they allocated is actually full. I think it has more to do with backhaul and routing.

Since it is TDD, it's just 10MHz for uplink and downlink, not 10x10. When they launch LTE-Advanced clearwire said they will do "fat pipes" using TD-LTE 20MHz + 20MHz (aggregating). They might even go 20MHz+20MHz+20MHz or something crazy. I've read that LTE-Advanced can aggregate up to 5 20MHz channels.

Sadly, I don't think the spectrum they allocated is actually full. I think it has more to do with backhaul and routing.

Since it is TDD, it's just 10MHz for uplink and downlink, not 10x10. When they launch LTE-Advanced clearwire said they will do "fat pipes" using TD-LTE 20MHz + 20MHz (aggregating). They might even go 20MHz+20MHz+20MHz or something crazy. I've read that LTE-Advanced can aggregate up to 5 20MHz channels.

So you think they only did a 5x5 config for WiMax?

As for LTE Advanced on Clearwire, I know for sure from what I've read here and elsewhere on the internet, they are planning for a 20x20 config for LTE, and if they do more than that, and eventually expand into Pahrump, I will be one very happy camper. :D

So you think they only did a 5x5 config for WiMax?

As for LTE Advanced on Clearwire, I know for sure from what I've read here and elsewhere on the internet, they are planning for a 20x20 config for LTE, and if they do more than that, and eventually expand into Pahrump, I will be one very happy camper. :D

not 5MHz upx5MHz down (that's FDD), just 10MHz for up and down (TDD)

If I remember correctly, there was no WiMAX FDD option until WiMAX 2. You need paired spectrum to do FDD, which clearwire doesn't have. They could do FDD but it would waste a ton of spectrum that they have.

TDD-LTE is good for data and is the most efficient way to deploy LTE on Clearwire's spectrum.

The 20MHz+20MHz is actually two 20MHz channels aggregated together. Both the uplink and downlink share the same spectrum. Think of a giant 40MHz block that does both upload and download.

not 5MHz upx5MHz down (that's FDD), just 10MHz for up and down (TDD)

If I remember correctly, there was no WiMAX FDD option until WiMAX 2. You need paired spectrum to do FDD, which clearwire doesn't have. They could do FDD but it would waste a ton of spectrum that they have.

TDD-LTE is good for data and is the most efficient way to deploy LTE on Clearwire's spectrum.

The 20MHz+20MHz is actually two 20MHz channels aggregated together. Both the uplink and downlink share the same spectrum. Think of a giant 40MHz block that does both upload and download.

Oh, now I understand. Thanks for correcting me on that.

Oh, now I understand. Thanks for correcting me on that.

I was wondering how it would work a while ago and AJ clarified that when Sprint fires up LTE on 800MHz ESMR spectrum - Sprint will be able to aggregate 800MHz + 1900MHz since they are both FD LTE-Advanced

However, since Clearwire is deploying TD LTE-Advanced, that would be a different network and would essentially have to reconnect (like 4G WiMAX does now).

I was hoping for a seamless switch between all three, but that doesn't seem to be the case :(

I was wondering how it would work a while ago and AJ clarified that when Sprint fires up LTE on 800MHz ESMR spectrum - Sprint will be able to aggregate 800MHz + 1900MHz since they are both FD LTE-Advanced

However, since Clearwire is deploying TD LTE-Advanced, that would be a different network and would essentially have to reconnect (like 4G WiMAX does now).

I was hoping for a seamless switch between all three, but that doesn't seem to be the case :(

Maybe they will be able to figure out how to do so in the near future before Clearwire turns on their LTE network.

Maybe they will be able to figure out how to do so in the near future before Clearwire turns on their LTE network.

I'm sure it can be done, but for a cost. If no other carrier has plans similar to Sprint with using their own spectrum and Clearwire as well, the technology will be very expensive and not feasable. It would be very complicated and break up your data request. It might not work for things like streaming, and the required parts may not fit into a phone, so Sprint may not ever attempt to combine their LTE and Clearwire's LTE.

I'm sure it can be done, but for a cost. If no other carrier has plans similar to Sprint with using their own spectrum and Clearwire as well, the technology will be very expensive and not feasable. It would be very complicated and break up your data request. It might not work for things like streaming, and the required parts may not fit into a phone, so Sprint may not ever attempt to combine their LTE and Clearwire's LTE.

Ok. That makes more sense. But if Sprint switches to TDD LTE later down the road, then it could be done, couldn't it?

It would still be pretty much trying to combine two isp's into one data pipe unless clearwire pretty much broadcasts sprint data over their spectrum.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Oh. :( So much for a seamless network. Of course, the only way that would ever happen is when Sprint finally buys out Clearwire. That is, if that ever happens.

I hear a lot of pessimism and jumping to conclusions. One of the chief goals of the Clearwire/Sprint LTE collaboration is to prepare the TD-LTE and FD-LTE networks to seamlessly handoff to each other for devices for both carriers.

Sprint and Clearwire are completing their initial testing and preparing design parameters for OEM's. There is no indication in what I've seen that there were any issues between the two LTE networks.

Much ado about nothing.

Robert via NOVO7PALADIN Tablet using Forum Runner

• Like 3

I hear a lot of pessimism and jumping to conclusions. One of the chief goals of the Clearwire/Sprint LTE collaboration is to prepare the TD-LTE and FD-LTE networks to seamlessly handoff to each other for devices for both carriers.

Sprint and Clearwire are completing their initial testing and preparing design parameters for OEM's. There is no indication in what I've seen that there were any issues between the two LTE networks.

Much ado about nothing.

Robert via NOVO7PALADIN Tablet using Forum Runner

They really are working toward that goal? That is even better news than the ants that invaded the kitchen tonight because of the rain, rain, and more rain.

:)

They really are working toward that goal? That is even better news than the ants that invaded the kitchen tonight because of the rain, rain, and more rain.

:)

The ants go marching one by one, Hurrah! Hurrah!

Forget that. These ants are marching 20 by 20! :twitch:

Are you being a good host? The least that you could do is play some music for them.

AJ

Are you being a good host? The least that you could do is play some music for them.

AJ

Forget it! I've been trying to kill them and the stupid things don't want to die. :angry:

• Like 1

Forget it! I've been trying to kill them and the stupid things don't want to die. :angry:

Note to self: never be houseguest of Josh. Might try to kill you. ;)

AJ

• Like 1

Hey, if you're in California like me, you know that the ants here are the Borg.

I spray them with Windex. It has ammonia in it and it attacks their skin. They die quickly and you erase the scent tracks.

Then I use Grant's Ant Stakes, Ortho Home Defense Max Ant baits, and Hot Shot MaxAttrax Ant Bait 2 around the house. The ants eat the poison bait, take it back to the queen, and kill her and the entire colony.

Then I try to find the cracks and holes the ants are using to come inside. I sprinkle cinnamon on the cracks and holes. Ants hate cinnamon and will avoid it.

Good luck! Battle on!

Edited by simcha

Back on topic... Wimax is almost useless by me. I hate Clearwire and I wish Sprint would dump them completely. The Wimax rollout was a disaster. Sprint has some of the blame for that. Clearwire was clearly incompetent to handle Wimax rollout.

Back on topic... Wimax is almost useless by me. I hate Clearwire and I wish Sprint would dump them completely. The Wimax rollout was a disaster. Sprint has some of the blame for that. Clearwire was clearly incompetent to handle Wimax rollout.

It all depends on where you live. In Visalia WiMax works great. In parts of LA it works decent.

Sent from Joshs Evo Shift using Forum Runner

I wonder if Clearwire ever intends to max out their spectrum holdings for LTE-Advanced. They have ~140MHz per market, maybe do a full blown 20+20+20+20+20 config(since LTE-A Rev.10 only supports up to 100MHz).

Imagine the speeds... :D

I wonder if Clearwire ever intends to max out their spectrum holdings for LTE-Advanced. They have ~140MHz per market' date=' maybe do a full blown 20+20+20+20+20 config(since LTE-A Rev.10 only supports up to 100MHz).

Imagine the speeds... :D[/quote']

80-140MHz per market. Their EBS holdings are highly variable. BRS is much more consistent.

Robert - Posted from my E4GT with ICS using Forum Runner

• Like 1