Firstnet.gov / AZfirstnet.gov

Hypeo

Have you guys heard of this project by the feds??

https://azfirstnet.az.gov/about

in reading some of the literature on the project, seems like the feds are dumping a bunch of money on a public safety network and might make contracts with cell providers.

If this has been discussed please feel free to delete this post. 

That sure sounds like an expensive project that isn't really needed. A nationwide broadband network only to be used for public safety, ugh! such a waste of tax dollars.

I'm all for cutting costs, but if done correctly it could end up very useful to the public.

A private Public Safety network is essential to national security and first response. Recall 9/11... Cellular networks were overwhelmed with ppl trying to call loved ones.

This is something I want my tax dollars spent on and I'm disappointed it hasn't already been built.

• Like 3

FirstNet will operate, to my knowledge, on LTE Band 14.  Do any consumer devices support that band?  The answer to that is the answer to your question.

- Trip

It's a laudable goal, but unless the federal government builds it and then hands it over, it will be rife with delays, cost overruns and corruption. Will it ever be inoperable? Maybe, but doubtful. 

• Like 1

It's a laudable goal, but unless the federal government builds it and then hands it over, it will be rife with delays, cost overruns and corruption. Will it ever be inoperable? Maybe, but doubtful.

It'll definitely be INoperable lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

FirstNet will operate, to my knowledge, on LTE Band 14. Do any consumer devices support that band? The answer to that is the answer to your question.

- Trip

Zero. Too bad we can't do band 28 like the rest of the world.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Isn't each state responsible for their own deployments if they want to be? 

Seems like they should of had more spectrum.  LTE is nice and all, but range....  Im all for keeping around something like 1xAdvance just for the pure coverage area.  That way all the nooks and crannies don't have to be covered, and if that isn't even the goal, CDMA will just help fill in.

You'd also think that the feds could just put in some clause that if you are a two-way wireless operator, during time of emergency a tower needs to automatically reserve 30% of its capacity or something like that.  Then pass out devices that support every US band in operation be it LTE, CDMA, GSM, iDEN, WiMax, etc depending on the market area the device is going in.

• Like 1

You'd also think that the feds could just put in some clause that if you are a two-way wireless operator, during time of emergency a tower needs to automatically reserve 30% of its capacity or something like that.  Then pass out devices that support every US band in operation be it LTE, CDMA, GSM, iDEN, WiMax, etc depending on the market area the device is going in.

The spectrum in question was originally auctioned to be used in this sort of way, where a private operator would use it unless an emergency occurred in which case the public safety communications would take priority.  The bids didn't come anywhere close to the reserve price because nobody wanted to do it.

- Trip

• Like 4

The bids didn't come anywhere close to the reserve price because nobody wanted to do it.

- Trip

This is why the Government HAS to be the entity to build the network out. It is the only party with the infrastructure and financial wherewithal to do something like this. The government isn't a corporation - despite what certain...NewsCorp...channels would lead you to believe.

The spectrum in question was originally auctioned to be used in this sort of way, where a private operator would use it unless an emergency occurred in which case the public safety communications would take priority.  The bids didn't come anywhere close to the reserve price because nobody wanted to do it.

- Trip

Only a 5x5 slice was auction off that way. The other 5x5 was unencumbered. So they now have a 10x10 slice for LTE.

Isn't each state responsible for their own deployments if they want to be? 

Seems like they should of had more spectrum.  LTE is nice and all, but range....  Im all for keeping around something like 1xAdvance just for the pure coverage area.  That way all the nooks and crannies don't have to be covered, and if that isn't even the goal, CDMA will just help fill in.

This is only for broadband. There is a 700Mz public safety voice allocation as well (a 6x6 MHz band that's adjacent to it).

The TVWS auction is largely to get the funds for building FirstNet. FirstNet has been a concept for over ten years and isn't much closer to fruition. I do like how they are engaging local partners for towers, backhauls, etc. I haven't seen much for details on the leasing of network access during non-emergencies, so it probably hasn't had much effort put into it. Undetermined if little guys have a seat at the table or if its only the national guys.

The Firstnet project has been in discussions for years since the 700 MHz auction in 2008, hence why there is a dedicated reserved block of 700 MHz for Firstnet use. This is why the govt has been busy trying to raise a ton of money in spectrum auctions to fund it so that it can eventually be built. It will be nice to have a unified public safety system and network in the 700 MHz band so that all the different emergency services don't have to relay information the old fashioned way since they all have their own unique communication system. Personally I would love to see all public safety in the US move to Firstnet and eventually vacate the 800 MHz spectrum to be reused for other purposes but it is wishful thinking on my part.

• Like 2

There's still a use for a voice only network as it would propagate better.

There is one in 700Mhz, adjacent to the broadband 10x10 allocation. Eventually they will merge the two into a 16x16MHz band. Six years later and nothing has been done. Having dealt with PS it's so frustrating, the delays and the bureaucratic red tape.

The government already has a post- disaster ready network. It's called Ham Radio! #N8SYJ

If the government is going to spend billions on a network, why not reinvest it into public use wireless that can be shared by wireless carriers, with a set aside portion of it given to governmental use.

This current plan seems like a ridiculous amount of money just for governmental services which already have good enough communications technologies in place.

If the government is going to spend billions on a network, why not reinvest it into public use wireless that can be shared by wireless carriers, with a set aside portion of it given to governmental use.

This current plan seems like a ridiculous amount of money just for governmental services which already have good enough communications technologies in place.

Except they don't.

• Like 1