Network Vision/LTE - Swiftel Market (Sioux Falls/Sioux City/Brookings)

saxman

20 hours ago, Camcroz said:

So does anyone know what's gonna happen with swiftel now that the merger got approved. I have tmobile and the service is awful in sioux falls. Will swiftel continue to broadcast signal under the tmobile name or will tmobile take them over. 

T-Mobile needs to add Band 4 in Sioux Falls. Can you tell us what the Band layering looks like - IE-Band 12 5x5, Band 71 etc.....that would be great. I am out in Rapid City. 

19 hours ago, S4GRU said:

That's a great question.  There has been talk about the options that will happen with Shentel market.  Nothing about Swiftel.  Since Swiftel is actually Brookings Municipal Utilities and not a private company, it will likely be a very different scenario.  We just don't really know anything at this point. 

Other than Sioux Falls and Brookings, T-Mobile definitely has the better South Dakota network though.  Hopefully they will be merged.

Robert

Yes, this should be very very interesting. They definitely need the spectrum and Brookings needs actual T-Mobile coverage. Would also help out Sioux Falls immensely and maybe you would actually see stores finally. They are dragging their feet in that market on stores and judging from the comment from Camcroz, I can see why. I am sure that the Band 12/Band 71 additions at least helped, but once again they definitely need Band 4 to give it a stronger base. 

4 hours ago, brockeb1 said:

T-Mobile needs to add Band 4 in Sioux Falls. Can you tell us what the Band layering looks like - IE-Band 12 5x5, Band 71 etc.....that would be great. I am out in Rapid City. 

Band 2 5x5 is standard across the city. And usually you can find CA with either band 12 5x5 or band 71 10x10. I dont know if band 71 has always been 10x10 or if its because of that leasing deal with dish. I just got back 2 days ago so I haven't been able to test the network before the lease with dish. The coverage is actually very decent. My job has me driving all over the city all day and I always have a strong signal. The speed is just awful. Its encouraging that the signal is good because all they need now is some more bandwidth/capacity and they'll be good to go.

• Like 1

On 3/27/2020 at 9:38 PM, Camcroz said:

Band 2 5x5 is standard across the city. And usually you can find CA with either band 12 5x5 or band 71 10x10. I dont know if band 71 has always been 10x10 or if its because of that leasing deal with dish. I just got back 2 days ago so I haven't been able to test the network before the lease with dish. The coverage is actually very decent. My job has me driving all over the city all day and I always have a strong signal. The speed is just awful. Its encouraging that the signal is good because all they need now is some more bandwidth/capacity and they'll be good to go.

Once they add that Band4/66 layer you will definitely see a difference in speeds. 

• 1 month later...

Experienced Swiftel for the first time last night. Speeds have been pretty much symmetrical no matter where I am, but they've been slow. I haven't got more than 16 down, 16 up with averages probably at 4/4. They really need 800/2500 here. 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, RAvirani said:

Experienced Swiftel for the first time last night. Speeds have been pretty much symmetrical no matter where I am, but they've been slow. I haven't got more than 16 down, 16 up with averages probably at 4/4. They really need 800/2500 here. 

It will be interesting to see what happens to Swiftel.  Since Swiftel is owned by a government agency, I doubt it will be sold to T-Mobile.  And I don't think Tmo wants them as an affiliate.  And since Tmo already has a network inside Swiftel's territory, I don't think they need them.  My guess is they will go their own ways and Tmo should start adding n41 to their sites in Sioux Falls, Sioux City, Vermillion, Brookings and Watertown very soon.  Tmo does need to density their network though a little bit.  Especially in Brookings.

Robert

On 5/11/2020 at 11:52 AM, S4GRU said:

It will be interesting to see what happens to Swiftel.  Since Swiftel is owned by a government agency, I doubt it will be sold to T-Mobile.  And I don't think Tmo wants them as an affiliate.  And since Tmo already has a network inside Swiftel's territory, I don't think they need them.  My guess is they will go their own ways and Tmo should start adding n41 to their sites in Sioux Falls, Sioux City, Vermillion, Brookings and Watertown very soon.  Tmo does need to density their network though a little bit.  Especially in Brookings.

Robert

And that is where this potentially gets really complicated pending the agreement in place with them. I would be very surprised if they could just simply both go their own ways in the market as going concerns with any agreement still in effect. We know from the Shentel negotiations right now that with them there are basically 4 potential options: 1) Continue to be an affiliate 2) If an affilate agreement can't be worked out, T-Mobile has the option to purchase at a pre-agreed upon process price 3) If T-Mobile fails to exercise the purchase option Shentel has the option to purchase T-Mobile's network and subscribers in their service area 4) If no agreements on 1 through 3 are reached, T-Mobile has to walk away from Shentel's market. The terms may be slightly different with Swiftel, but I wouldn't be surprised if they very similar.

If that is the case, it is quite possible they literally can't go their own ways very easily. This type of situation is what led to the affiliate lawsuits that led Sprint to buy nearly everyone out after the Nextel and to some extent Clearwire acquisitions. As an aside, this is also a market where Sprint only acquired any BRS/EBS very recently due to the SpeedConnect acquisition. And in the case, of Sioux City, new T-Mobile still does not have any BRS/EBS spectrum at all.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
And that is where this potentially gets really complicated pending the agreement in place with them. I would be very surprised if they could just simply both go their own ways in the market as going concerns with any agreement still in effect. We know from the Shentel negotiations right now that with them there are basically 4 potential options: 1) Continue to be an affiliate 2) If an affilate agreement can't be worked out, T-Mobile has the option to purchase at a pre-agreed upon process price 3) If T-Mobile fails to exercise the purchase option Shentel has the option to purchase T-Mobile's network and subscribers in their service area 4) If no agreements on 1 through 3 are reached, T-Mobile has to walk away from Shentel's market. The terms may be slightly different with Swiftel, but I wouldn't be surprised if they very similar.

If that is the case, it is quite possible they literally can't go their own ways very easily. This type of situation is what led to the affiliate lawsuits that led Sprint to buy nearly everyone out after the Nextel and to some extent Clearwire acquisitions. As an aside, this is also a market where Sprint only acquired any BRS/EBS very recently due to the SpeedConnect acquisition. And in the case, of Sioux City, new T-Mobile still does not have any BRS/EBS spectrum at all.
That could be one area they go after CBRS

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

• 4 months later...