Network Vision/LTE - Swiftel Market (Sioux Falls/Sioux City/Brookings)

saxman

Why wouldnt sprint pay for swiftel to upgrade there towers, when they are willing to pay CCA carriers like James Valley to upgrade.. makes no sense to me...

Why wouldnt sprint pay for swiftel to upgrade there towers, when they are willing to pay CCA carriers like James Valley to upgrade.. makes no sense to me...

Who said Sprint has not offered?  Swiftel is owned by a Municipal Government.  They cannot take on debt the way a private business can and are subject to debt limitations, types of debt and debt servicing as allowed in South Dakota law.

• Like 4

I was a Sprint customer in Sioux Falls until May of last year, when I took all 5 of my lines to Verizon mid-contract. The service was so intolerably slow (less than 20kbps a lot of the time) that I decided to contact Sprint in writing (online) to see what I could do. I had no expectations - I was mainly just taking a shot in the dark. After several emails back and forth with the lower-level reps, I finally asked to have my communication forwarded to a supervisor. I then went back and forth with this supervisor several more times (about 15 emails in total between the reps and the sup), who finally agreed to let me out of my contract and waive our ETFs. This was after I sent him several screenshots of speed tests I had run, which demonstrated how abysmally slow Sprint/Swiftel's data speeds really are here (a few of them actually showed results of 0.0kbps and were run outdoors in a well-populated area).

The end result was that we were able to get away from Sprint without paying a cent. All told, they waived over $1300 in ETFs because their network really is just that bad here. My data speeds with Verizon are literally on the order of 300x faster on average than they were with Sprint. After reading through this thread, I can see that Swiftel has made no progress with updating their network in the intervening year and that I made the right decision. Good riddance. I'll gladly pay more for service I can actually use.

• Like 1

Swiftel is not likely going to do anything through the end of their agreement. It would almost be better if Sprint offered no service in Sioux Falls/Sioux City.

Using Tapatalk on Nexus 6

• Like 2

Swiftel is not likely going to do anything through the end of their agreement. It would almost be better if Sprint offered no service in Sioux Falls/Sioux City.

Using Tapatalk on Nexus 6

It would definitely be better, especially as time goes on. Their 3g network here would have been unacceptably slow in 2009, let alone now.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...

For Sioux Falls, SD, would you guys rate Verizon > ATT > T-MO >>> Sprint?

Yes. However, AT&T has some serious issues in Sioux Falls. They are spectrum starved there. Unfortunately, until Tmo builds out the area in the next year, Verizon really is the only option in FSD. I go bonkers using AT&T in about half the city.

Until AT&T buys out spectrum from Kennebec Telephone, it just won't get better. And Sprint/Swiftel won't likely build out an LTE network anytime soon.

Using Nexus 6 on Tapatalk

Yes. However, AT&T has some serious issues in Sioux Falls. They are spectrum starved there. Unfortunately, until Tmo builds out the area in the next year, Verizon really is the only option in FSD. I go bonkers using AT&T in about half the city.

Until AT&T buys out spectrum from Kennebec Telephone, it just won't get better. And Sprint/Swiftel won't likely build out an LTE network anytime soon.

Using Nexus 6 on Tapatalk

Currently, Sioux Falls isn't even a T-mobile market (there are no towers and no stores, although I believe 2g roaming may be available). You've heard that they're planning to build out their network here? Not that I don't believe you, but I'm really curious where you heard that. Does that mean they have plans for SF to be an "official" Tmo market then? If so, that's great news.

Currently, Sioux Falls isn't even a T-mobile market (there are no towers and no stores, although I believe 2g roaming may be available). You've heard that they're planning to build out their network here? Not that I don't believe you, but I'm really curious where you heard that. Does that mean they have plans for SF to be an "official" Tmo market then? If so, that's great news.

It is official.  T-Mobile purchased the 700MHz A-Block from Dryad Communications a few months ago, in both the Sioux Falls and Rapid City MTA's.  They have shown on their maps South Dakota expansion along the I-90/I-29 corridors, including Sioux Falls, Pierre, Rapid City and the Black Hills.  See below.

It is supposed to be done by the end of the year.  But I don't think they are going to hit that milestone.  We haven't seen even permit activity yet here in the Rapid City area.

LTE End of 2014 to end of 2015 Comparison

gallery_1_12_1798213.png

End of 2015 LTE Coverage Blow Up

gallery_1_12_253604.png

South Dakota Blow Up

gallery_1_12_350574.png

It is official. T-Mobile purchased the 700MHz A-Block from Dryad Communications a few months ago, in both the Sioux Falls and Rapid City MTA's. They have shown on their maps South Dakota expansion along the I-90/I-29 corridors, including Sioux Falls, Pierre, Rapid City and the Black Hills. See below.

It is supposed to be done by the end of the year. But I don't think they are going to hit that milestone. We haven't seen even permit activity yet here in the Rapid City area.

LTE End of 2014 to end of 2015 Comparison

gallery_1_12_1798213.png

End of 2015 LTE Coverage Blow Up

gallery_1_12_253604.png

South Dakota Blow Up

gallery_1_12_350574.png

That's fantastic news - I had no idea. Does this include HSPA+ as well, since there's currently no Tmo 3g service here?

That's fantastic news - I had no idea. Does this include HSPA+ as well, since there's currently no Tmo 3g service here?

Based on their spectrum holdings, they may do one HSPA+ carrier.  But it will likely be 2G/LTE only, if I were to guess.

Based on their spectrum holdings, they may do one HSPA+ carrier. But it will likely be 2G/LTE only, if I were to guess.

That would suck, but I'd still probably switch to them from Verizon as long as their LTE buildout covers the whole city decently well. They're a much more customer-friendly company. Sprint/Swiftel won't stand a chance in this town if Tmo moves in with LTE and has reasonably good coverage.

That would suck, but I'd still probably switch to them from Verizon as long as their LTE buildout covers the whole city decently well. They're a much more customer-friendly company. Sprint/Swiftel won't stand a chance in this town if Tmo moves in with LTE and has reasonably good coverage.

Since Tmo will be deploying LTE on B12 (700MHz) and B4 (AWS), LTE coverage, capacity and performance will be great.  If they add a HSPA+ carrier, it will come out of LTE B4 performance, reducing it by 5MHz.  Less capacity and performance.  HSPA+ will be redundant, and LTE on B12 will provide more coverage than HSPA+ on B4.  No one will miss HSPA+ in South Dakota over LTE, unless they have non LTE device.  Which Tmo doesn't even sell anymore.

• Like 1

Since Tmo will be deploying LTE on B12 (700MHz) and B4 (AWS), LTE coverage, capacity and performance will be great. If they add a HSPA+ carrier, it will come out of LTE B4 performance, reducing it by 5MHz. Less capacity and performance. HSPA+ will be redundant, and LTE on B12 will provide more coverage than HSPA+ on B4. No one will miss HSPA+ in South Dakota over LTE, unless they have non LTE device. Which Tmo doesn't even sell anymore.

Thanks a bunch for all the info. This is really helpful.

• 1 month later...

Disclaimer this might be a long post.

Is there any news on the sioux falls market. I lived there for the first 15 years of my life until i moved to Atlanta 2 years ago. All i remeber is that the network was extremely slow. Calls and texts worked whenever i needed it but data was a lost cause. I think there is a clear protection site up there in the middle of downtown. Any chance sprint converts that into a native tower or can they not do that because of swiftel. Also speaking of swiftel, is there any news on them. I know basically everyone hates them but are they really not doing anything. There has to be a ceo or someone running the company making decisions but that company seems to be at a standstill. Will they ever upgrade there equipment. If they refuse than sprint is gonna leave them and then they would have nothing holding them up so what will they do then. If anyone has any news on the sioux falls market and if theres any changes that would be great. Im only curious becuase it was my home market for 15 years and i might also be going back next summer so i want to know if it will improve by then.

Thanks

Cam

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

Is there any news on the sioux falls market. Also speaking of swiftel, is there any news on them. I know basically everyone hates them but are they really not doing anything.

There is currently no news on the Swiftel market or Sioux Falls.  :(

There is currently no news on the Swiftel market or Sioux Falls. :(

That really sucks. Ive read this entire thread at least a couple times and i fail to understand how the stalemate between these companies could go on for so long.

That really sucks. Ive read this entire thread at least a couple times and i fail to understand how the stalemate between these companies could go on for so long.

Two reasons:  municipal utility and contract law.

AJ

Efficient government. [emoji107][emoji107][emoji107]

Eh, I would not exactly fault the Brookings Municipal Utility.  It got into the wireless business as a Sprint affiliate over 15 years ago -- times have changed.  Now, it is in over its head.  And because it is a municipal utility, Sprint cannot buy it out.  What would Sprint do with an electrical service provider in rural South Dakota?  And depending upon its structure, Brookings Municipal Utility may not have the ability to spin off Swiftel for Sprint to acquire.

Just call it a bad situation all around...

AJ

Eh, I would not exactly fault the Brookings Municipal Utility.  It got into the wireless business as a Sprint affiliate over 15 years ago -- times have changed.  Now, it is in over its head.  And because it is a municipal utility, Sprint cannot buy it out.  What would Sprint do with an electrical service provider in rural South Dakota?  And depending upon its structure, Brookings Municipal Utility may not have the ability to spin off Swiftel for Sprint to acquire.

Just call it a bad situation all around...

AJ

Sprint should just start building out its own network in Sioux Falls and turn it on as soon as the swifter contract is up - heck, include it in project cedar!

Sprint should just start building out its own network in Sioux Falls and turn it on as soon as the swifter contract is up - heck, include it in project cedar!

Not a priority area.  Low population.  And Swiftel has already sullied Sprint's good name in the area.  The ROI on a new buildout would be low.

Plus, if Sprint started building before the affiliate contract is up, Swiftel might have grounds to sue.  Not to mention, Swiftel is a rare affiliate to which Sprint actually transferred licensed control of some spectrum.  That is a liability.

AJ

Not a priority area. Low population. And Swiftel has already sullied Sprint's good name in the area. The ROI on a new buildout would be low.

Plus, if Sprint started building before the affiliate contract is up, Swiftel might have grounds to sue. Not to mention, Swiftel is a rare affiliate to which Sprint actually transferred licensed control of some spectrum. That is a liability.

AJ

I know they cant buy them out now but what about after the contract expires. Also ive heard on this site that shentel can buy them. So y not just facilitate a buyout through shentel

Also ive heard on this site that shentel can buy them. So y not just facilitate a buyout through shentel

Where on this site was that said? What was actually said is it came out during the Shentel nTelos deal that there is a clause in Sprint's affiliate deal with Shentel that allows Sprint to purchase Shentel's wireless business if the deal isn't renewed. We do not know if Sprint has similar language in their Swiftel contract and or how Swiftel being owned by a public utility might affect that.