Network Vision/LTE - Swiftel Market (Sioux Falls/Sioux City/Brookings)

saxman

Where on this site was that said? What was actually said is it came out during the Shentel nTelos deal that there is a clause in Sprint's affiliate deal with Shentel that allows Sprint to purchase Shentel's wireless business if the deal isn't renewed. We do not know if Sprint has similar language in their Swiftel contract and or how Swiftel being owned by a public utility might affect that.

Either in the ntelos thread or the shentel thread someone asked if shentel could buy swiftel. And someone else said they could make shentel-west. I think it was more a joke but figured it could be possible for shentel to buy swiftel

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

Either in the ntelos thread or the shentel thread someone asked if shentel could buy swiftel. And someone else said they could make shentel-west. I think it was more a joke but figured it could be possible for shentel to buy swiftel

It was a joke.  Like Swiftel, Shentel is one of the last standing Sprint affiliates.  The general perception, though, is that Shentel has been well run.  But for Shentel to buy Swiftel is no more possible than for Sprint to buy Swiftel.

AJ

• Like 1

It was a joke. Like Swiftel, Shentel is one of the last standing Sprint affiliates. The general perception, though, is that Shentel has been well run. But for Shentel to buy Swiftel is no more possible than for Sprint to buy Swiftel.

AJ

Alright thanks for clarifying

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

I said it. I'm the one who joked Shentel West. But I definitely was not speaking about what is possible from a legal perspective. And maybe it wasn't so much as a joke, but a wish.

Using Nexus 6 on Tapatalk

• 2 months later...

Hi, any updates on this? I haven't heard anything else about T-Mo moving into this area and I'm just curious.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Something is a foot. Swiftel and Sprint have before the FCC an LTE spectrum lease. So Swiftel is now working with Sprint toward some LTE deployment.

We just don't know the timing, nor how widespread it will be at this time.

Sent from OnePlus 2 using Tapatalk

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I was curious what the Sprint experience is like in SD and ND? I'm in NC and service is pretty good but I'll be out that way in May. 

Where in SD and ND? Both are fairly large states with highly varying levels of coverage depending on location.

• Like 1

Fargo and the i90 corridor specifically.

Sprint service is good in the Fargo metro area and around Grand Forks. But LTE drops 5 miles out of town when you head west on I-94. And then you leave Sprint 3G after Jamestown. All of Central and Western North Dakota is Verizon 1x Roaming. Although Sprint is working out a Protection Site network in Bismarck and Minot. But that may take a little while and it may not be very expansive outside those towns.

In South Dakota, Sprint has 3G service just around Sioux Falls, Brookings and Watertown via their affiliate Swiftel. Swiftel is adding GMO LTE to satisfy Sprint buildout requirements. But that won't likely be live before March. The rest of the state is Verizon 1x roaming.

Sprint is partnering with Golden West Wireless to build out LTE Protection Networks in Rapid City and Aberdeen too in South Dakota. But timing and scope of these buildouts is still unknown.

Sent from OnePlus 2 using Tapatalk

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

It is official. T-Mobile purchased the 700MHz A-Block from Dryad Communications a few months ago, in both the Sioux Falls and Rapid City MTA's. They have shown on their maps South Dakota expansion along the I-90/I-29 corridors, including Sioux Falls, Pierre, Rapid City and the Black Hills. See below.

It is supposed to be done by the end of the year. But I don't think they are going to hit that milestone. We haven't seen even permit activity yet here in the Rapid City area.

LTE End of 2014 to end of 2015 Comparison

gallery_1_12_1798213.png

End of 2015 LTE Coverage Blow Up

gallery_1_12_253604.png

South Dakota Blow Up

gallery_1_12_350574.png

I realize this is a bit off-topic, but I haven't seen anything about this anywhere else. Are there any new developments you're aware of regarding the T-Mo buildout in SF that you mentioned earlier?

• 2 months later...

Has anyone else noticed LTE in Sioux Falls on sensory?? Can anyone confirm that

It was expected that Swiftel would get GMO LTE live by 3/3/2016 to meet FCC Substantial Service Requirements. So it's likely accurate. I'm watching Rapid City for ours to come live too.

Using Tapatalk on Note 8.0

• Like 1

It was expected that Swiftel would get GMO LTE live by 3/3/2016 to meet FCC Substantial Service Requirements. So it's likely accurate. I'm watching Rapid City for ours to come live too.

Using Tapatalk on Note 8.0

How is there backhaul situation?

I don't currently know.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Please explain what an LTE protection site is ? I hear you mention it often in some of your posts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Please explain what an LTE protection site is ? I hear you mention it often in some of your posts.

When LTE testifies against WiMAX, that can put LTE in danger.  So, it enters the LTE protection program.  An LTE site may get a new GCI or PCI and be relocated to another state.

AJ

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

So does anyone have any info on the 4G thats been showing up in Sioux Falls on Sensorly? i also see some in brookings. what band are they using? is it decent speed? 

Swiftel in Sioux City in July:

2mnp5xx.png

vytzq1.png

AJ

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Has anyone else gotten a letter recently from the Sprint store in Sioux Falls saying that LTE is rolling out in the area but in order to get it, you'll need to trade in your phone for a compatible one? I got the letter in the mail yesterday, but I'm pretty confused by it... Both my wife and I have Galaxy S5's and we both get LTE in Omaha and up in the Cities, and even over by Beaver Creek sometimes, but never once have I seen LTE in town. So what's different about LTE in Sioux Falls compared to the other markets? Why wouldn't my S5 be compatible if I get it everywhere else? Seems fishy to me!

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • 3 years later...

So does anyone know what's gonna happen with swiftel now that the merger got approved. I have tmobile and the service is awful in sioux falls. Will swiftel continue to broadcast signal under the tmobile name or will tmobile take them over. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Camcroz said:

So does anyone know what's gonna happen with swiftel now that the merger got approved. I have tmobile and the service is awful in sioux falls. Will swiftel continue to broadcast signal under the tmobile name or will tmobile take them over. 

That's a great question.  There has been talk about the options that will happen with Shentel market.  Nothing about Swiftel.  Since Swiftel is actually Brookings Municipal Utilities and not a private company, it will likely be a very different scenario.  We just don't really know anything at this point. 

Other than Sioux Falls and Brookings, T-Mobile definitely has the better South Dakota network though.  Hopefully they will be merged.

Robert

• Like 1

1 hour ago, S4GRU said:

That's a great question.  There has been talk about the options that will happen with Shentel market.  Nothing about Swiftel.  Since Swiftel is actually Brookings Municipal Utilities and not a private company, it will likely be a very different scenario.  We just don't really know anything at this point. 

Other than Sioux Falls and Brookings, T-Mobile definitely has the better South Dakota network though.  Hopefully they will be merged.

Robert

Ya merging the two would definitely be the best case scenario. I've only been back in sioux falls for a short while so I haven't had a chance to see how tmobile holds up anywhere else in the state but I'm glad to hear that it's at least better outside of sioux falls.

And not to get off the topic of this thread but what options have been talked about with shentel. I know when the merger was announced, I saw an article that said shentel would either continue with the original deal they had with sprint or allow tmobile to buy them.