Dual Band MIMO deployment

Some markets (particularly in Ericsson territory) saw quite a few 2.5 permits filed 2H 2014 which were approved but never actually built out. Many of those have been rapidly re-filed in 1H 2015 with the addition of RRUS 31 swapout and second set of PCS antennas. The additional antennas don't really make sense as being necessary for a second carrier, nor do they make sense as being for >3-sector sites with having the same azimuth.

They only really make sense as being either for higher order MIMO or for getting more antenna elements in the air to improve the B25 uplink when inter-carrier aggregation launches.

Another possibility is that they're doing high capacity setups like Samsung and is dropping the usage of rf combiners. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Is the 4T4R/2T4R upgrade only happening for B25 sites? any idea how many got upgraded in 2014 vs projections for 2015?

The RRUS31 from Ericsson is 4x40W vs a 2x40W RRUS11 it is replacing. So you end up swapping two RRUS11s for one RRUS31 unit. The heat fins on the RRUS31 are huge compared with the RRUS11.

Is the 4T4R/2T4R upgrade only happening for B25 sites? any idea how many got upgraded in 2014 vs projections for 2015?

The RRUS31 from Ericsson is 4x40W vs a 2x40W RRUS11 it is replacing. So you end up swapping two RRUS11s for one RRUS31 unit. The heat fins on the RRUS31 are huge compared with the RRUS11.

Ericsson is replacing all existing band 25 rrus 11s with rrus 31s in what is known as the 65 mhz project since early 2014. Has got to exceed more than half by now. Probably close to 2/3rd s if I had to do a guess. I'd wager 2/3 to 3/4 done by EOY.

Sent from my Nexus 5

• Like 1

Ericsson is replacing all existing band 25 rrus 11s with rrus 31s in what is known as the 65 mhz project since early 2014. Has got to exceed more than half by now. Probably close to 2/3rd s if I had to do a guess. I'd wager 2/3 to 3/4 done by EOY.

Sent from my Nexus 5

So this would be all NV Ericsson sites? Thanks

Wait Ericsson's new rrus do 4t4r on B25??!!

I recently noticed a new panel on each sector of this Sprint site, it was already broadcasting band 25 and 26 prior to the addition. Is this part of the MIMO upgrade or is it done to minimize interference compared to CDMA and LTE being on the same antenna?

tower.jpg

I recently noticed a new panel on each sector of this Sprint site, it was already broadcasting band 25 and 26 prior to the addition. Is this part of the MIMO upgrade or is it done to minimize interference compared to CDMA and LTE being on the same antenna?

High Capacity 1.9 setup for Ericsson with RRUS31s are now set up this way. This is primarily done because running a second radio in single technology mode enables much more carriers of either type to be broadcasted compared ot running the radio in dual mode. So having a second set of PCS antenna and radio enables additional CDMA carriers to be deployed where needed.

A side effect of it is that, if Sprint / Ericsson ever decides to do so, they can set each antenna / radio set to one technology apiece so one antenna + radio runs LTE and one antenna + radio runs CDMA. Thus you can have up to 4 LTE carriers on PCS and dozen or so on CDMA. This also enables Sprint the capability to deploy 4x2 MIMO for PCS LTE as they don't need to split the PCS radio into 2T2R for LTE and 2T2R for CDMA. 

• Like 3

Interesting how they threw up second PCS antennas before B41 8t8r antennas.

How common are these setups? Perhaps a trend may be forming?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It baffles me that they would do this, the CDMA network here doesn't need extra capacity but the LTE network is seriously over burdened. Band 41 would do a lot more good than throwing up another PCS panel.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

Interesting how they threw up second PCS antennas before B41 8t8r antennas.

How common are these setups? Perhaps a trend may be forming?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think I have only seen a couple of these setups, since the substantial completion of phase one the upgrades came to a screeching halt here. No band 41 and the remaining unupgraded sites haven't been touched. So I kinda lost hope and stopped paying attention.

It baffles me that they would do this, the CDMA network here doesn't need extra capacity but the LTE network is seriously over burdened. Band 41 would do a lot more good than throwing up another PCS panel.

Running split mode reduces it to something like 2 PCS LTE carriers + up to 6 CDMA carriers. Then you gotta split those limited number of CDMA carriers between voice and EVDO. So if they require more EVDO or 1x carrier then by all means they need to deploy it. Hence why they deploy the additional radio. 

Also keeps Ericsson busy which is always a good thing.... 

Sprint sold 10MHz of their PCS B license to deathstar back in 2009. 6 CDMA carriers is all that can be deployed on PCS. So split mode would not be a bottleneck ever unless they acquired more PCS spectrum.

Sprint sold 10MHz of their PCS B license to deathstar back in 2009. 6 CDMA carriers is all that can be deployed on PCS. So split mode would not be a bottleneck ever unless they acquired more PCS spectrum.

:shrug:

Only two non contiguous 10 MHz (5 MHz FDD) blocks would be limited to six CDMA2000 carriers.  A 20 MHz (10 MHz FDD) contiguous block can support up to seven CDMA2000 carriers -- because of the need for fewer guard bands.

AJ

Only two non contiguous 10 MHz (5 MHz FDD) blocks would be limited to six CDMA2000 carriers. A 20 MHz (10 MHz FDD) contiguous block can support up to seven CDMA2000 carriers -- because of the need for fewer guard bands.

AJ

Regardless, one additional CDMA carrier isn't going to make a difference in a network that is not experiencing voice congestion nor is one additional EV-DO carrier going to alleviate data congestion.

Regardless, one additional CDMA carrier isn't going to make a difference in a network that is not experiencing voice congestion nor is one additional EV-DO carrier going to alleviate data congestion.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>:shrug: <<<<<<<<<<<<<<

A side effect of it is that, if Sprint / Ericsson ever decides to do so, they can set each antenna / radio set to one technology apiece so one antenna + radio runs LTE and one antenna + radio runs CDMA. Thus you can have up to 4 LTE carriers on PCS and dozen or so on CDMA. This also enables Sprint the capability to deploy 4x2 MIMO for PCS LTE as they don't need to split the PCS radio into 2T2R for LTE and 2T2R for CDMA.

So they have 2 antennas and are still running at least one in dual mode? Or are you referring to if they decide to add a second antenna to all sites for this? I would assume all high capacity sites have one antenna that's just LTE (and 4x2 MIMO) and another that's just CDMA?

Sent from my Nexus 6

So they have 2 antennas and are still running at least one in dual mode? Or are you referring to if they decide to add a second antenna to all sites for this? I would assume all high capacity sites have one antenna that's just LTE (and 4x2 MIMO) and another that's just CDMA?

Sent from my Nexus 6

at Traditional high capacity sites the additional radio and antenna is only for additional cdma capacity to augment the primary dual rat configured radio.

How much additional cdma capacity needed can be estimated by how many additional jumpers they connect to the second antenna + radio set.

Sent from my Nexus 5

With the upgrade, the new Ericsson radios are far superior and can broadcast at a higher power. Also, this will allow 4x2 MIMO. So really, this isn't so much about added CDMA capacity, it's just one benefit.

The first generation Ericsson NV radios were crap. Ericsson is basically having to switch them out free of charge. All this is bonus for Sprint to do this switch. The only thing is it should have been done this way from the beginning. So I'm not sure why people are against this.

Using Tapatalk on BlackBerry Z30

• Like 2

With the upgrade, the new Ericsson radios are far superior and can broadcast at a higher power. Also, this will allow 4x2 MIMO. So really, this isn't so much about added CDMA capacity, it's just one benefit.

The first generation Ericsson NV radios were crap. Ericsson is basically having to switch them out free of charge. All this is bonus for Sprint to do this switch. The only thing is it should have been done this way from the beginning. So I'm not sure why people are against this.

Using Tapatalk on BlackBerry Z30

Who's paying the tower crew Sprint or Ericsson?