Sprint Home Wifi Router [Wi-Fi Connect][Asus AC66u]

marioc21

I'll concede that QOS is a great thing here..if it works!  I guess I'm a lucky one in that I have

6 bars of strong 3G signal so we never have issues with voice or text at the house...wasn't

always that way before NV arrived..we went thru years of almost zero Sprint or Verizon

signal here where I live..wi-fi calling in those days would have helped out plenty altho we

used voip with a land line for awhile

I'll concede that QOS is a great thing here..if it works!  I guess I'm a lucky one in that I have

6 bars of strong 3G signal so we never have issues with voice or text at the house...wasn't

always that way before NV arrived..we went thru years of almost zero Sprint or Verizon

signal here where I live..wi-fi calling in those days would have helped out plenty altho we

used voip with a land line for awhile

I have solid LTE coverage at my house, so I don't use wifi calling for coverage (at least not at home). I use it because it has a positive impact on battery life. But the wifi calling option is a huge help at some other locations.

I was just about to order this, when I realized that I already own the AC66U, without the Sprint sticker and QoS settings. I guess there is no point in getting a second for a 650 sqft apartment.

I was just about to order this, when I realized that I already own the AC66U, without the Sprint sticker and QoS settings. I guess there is no point in getting a second for a 650 sqft apartment.

Sell yours and use the Sprint one...lol

Please clarify what the "awesome decision" that Sprint made really means..someone still needs a wi-fi calling capable

phone..correct?  So are they giving away this router for "free" to those poor souls who have no 3G signal at home

for voice calling?  I believe my wife is the only person left who actually uses a phone for voice..I would guess most

of us in here already have wireless routers in our homes using incoming fiber for internet and thusly a generous

smattering of wifi thru our abodes..PR move?  Must be something here I'm missing...another piece of hardware

in my house and my wife will put me out with the trash along with this router..

I live in a "best" service area according to Sprint's maps, but actually have a fairly poor signal in my house. Since I moved here, I have had issues with dropped calls due to weak signal. 1x800 helped a little, but the sites nearest my house still haven't been upgraded, so WiFi calling has done wonders. However, even with a good router and internet connection, it's still a little iffy. Hopefully with this router, my dad will no longer complain about the quality of the calls when my family comes to visit. 

• Like 1

Just took delivery and have the router set up with my current AirPort Extreme so I won't need to set up parents and babysitters with a new network/password. :lol:

The Wu-Tang LAN is open for business (with appropriate WPA2 authentication, that is - I gotta protect my neck).

I just called again today. The rep had no idea what I was talking about. She said she knew about the airave and the mobile hotspots, but had to go ask her supervisor about the Wifi Connect. She came back and told me that I had to have an offer available to me on my account in order to get one, which is what the person I talked to on Wednesday said. She looked up my account and said the offer was not there, again, what the other rep had told me. So she tells me that she has to fill out a template and it has to get approved by a supervisor, which could take 24 hours, and that I would be contacted if I still want to approve it. I am currently waiting on hold while (I guess, she didn't tell me what she was doing) she pulls up the template. I will post again on what comes of it.

-Anthony

I got mine ordered after being bounced between 4 reps. When someone comes up with the best way to order it would be great if the OP can update the first post so people don't have to dig through the thread to figure it out

I just called again today. The rep had no idea what I was talking about. She said she knew about the airave and the mobile hotspots, but had to go ask her supervisor about the Wifi Connect. She came back and told me that I had to have an offer available to me on my account in order to get one, which is what the person I talked to on Wednesday said. 

Not sure what prompts the offer, it was apparently on my account because the rep saw it right away, and had it ordered in minutes. 

• Like 1

Not sure what prompts the offer, it was apparently on my account because the rep saw it right away, and had it ordered in minutes. 

Yeah we are currently on hold while we wait to talk to her supervisor. Apparently it is a retention offer according to what she is reading. She told me that our account isn't listed as a "retention account" so we don't qualify for it. Told her "what if this was to cause me to decide that I want to leave Sprint because I'm not allowed to get this? Wouldn't that make me a retention customer?" We then asked to speak to her supervisor, so we'll see what comes of it.

-Anthony

I got mine ordered after being bounced between 4 reps. When someone comes up with the best way to order it would be great if the OP can update the first post so people don't have to dig through the thread to figure it out

Calling sprint advanced network support is the best way as it is number listed in the technical document for assistance. 

Also my friend just recieved both an airave AND a wifi connect from UPS & sprint. I helped him set up the new router as another AP connected to an AC87 while another line from the 87 goes to an AC68u doing router goodies for multiple lan connections (gotta configure it as an AP for him in the future). 

Meanwhile I'm still waiting for mine... :S

Callomg sprint advanced network support is the best way as it is number listed in the technical document for assistance. 

Which is exactly what I have been doing. I keep getting told that my account doesn't qualify because I'm not a "retention customer." I guess my family and I are not worth retaining?

I'm not too up in arms about it. I mean I either get an amazing router for FREE, or I just go back to my normal life as it was. So it's not a big deal if they don't give it to us. I just think the reasoning behind them not giving it to us is dumb.

-Anthony

I live in a "best" service area according to Sprint's maps, but actually have a fairly poor signal in my house. Since I moved here, I have had issues with dropped calls due to weak signal. 1x800 helped a little, but the sites nearest my house still haven't been upgraded, so WiFi calling has done wonders. However, even with a good router and internet connection, it's still a little iffy. Hopefully with this router, my dad will no longer complain about the quality of the calls when my family comes to visit. 

Yup...totally appropriate in your case and Sprint should get some kudos for

reaching out to folks in your shoes...before NV came along I was there also and

my wife kept asking why we stayed with Sprint.. I asked her to have faith,,it

paid off for us..hope things get better for you on your home signal..

Which is exactly what I have been doing. I keep getting told that my account doesn't qualify because I'm not a "retention customer." I guess my family and I are not worth retaining?

I'm not too up in arms about it. I mean I either get an amazing router for FREE, or I just go back to my normal life as it was. So it's not a big deal if they don't give it to us. I just think the reasoning behind them not giving it to us is dumb.

-Anthony

That is so weird. I had no issues with getting one, and I don't think that I have "retention customer" stamp on my account, seeing as I still owe over $650 for my iPhone 6+. :scratch:

• Like 1

That is so weird. I had no issues with getting one, and I don't think that I have "retention customer" stamp on my account, seeing as I still owe over $650 for my iPhone 6+. :scratch:

Yeah it confuses me too. But oh well. We convinced the rep to put a request through to his supervisor and we got a call back within 20 minutes that said that it's ordered and will be on it's way. I'll call that as a win :)

-Anthony

• Like 3

MEH!

Rep messed up my original order and now I wait another 1-3 business days for the new order to come through...

Patience is a virtue. I would also feel the same way though.

Sent from my Note 4.

Patience is a virtue. I would also feel the same way though.

Sent from my Note 4.

Account annotations says an order was placed on monday and then nothing ever happened. 

:| 

At least the advanced network support guy telesales transfered me over got it all fixed in 5 minutes... sigh.

Edit:

C5xFUXc.jpg?1

vzeuvtT.png?1

• Like 2

I disabled the Smart Connect feature because it was putting my iPads on the crowded 2.4Ghz wifi band and causing streaming issues. 5.0Ghz is super fast even with fewer bars!

• Like 1

I disabled the Smart Connect feature because it was putting my iPads on the crowded 2.4Ghz wifi band and causing streaming issues. 5.0Ghz is super fast even with fewer bars!

Ill have to do the same. It saves the 5ghz for only high bandwidth content. On 2.4 i top out around 100mb down around the house. On 5 i can max out my connection 155mb down.

Ill have to do the same. It saves the 5ghz for only high bandwidth content. On 2.4 i top out around 100mb down around the house. On 5 i can max out my connection 155mb down.

It sounds like such a great idea, just doesn't seem to work well in practice. As I said earlier, I separated the bands because it wouldn't let me pick a channel and it self-selected to occupied channels. I thought routers were smarter than that but I guess not.

Sent from my Note 4.

• Like 2

Is it possible to run this router in AP mode?

I don't know. I don't recall seeing a setting for that. My linksys didn't have a setting for bridge or AP mode either and it works just leaving it in router mode. My linksys is my secondary access point which I won't use as much.

Sent from my Note 4.

Have to do manual setup to get that option. Otherwise it will keep asking for the wan port connection. I did lan to lan setup, set the asus lan ip to 192.168.1.2. On the main router set the start of dhcp lease to 192.168.1.8
  • Like 1

Got my router and installed it but have been noticing after turning my phone screen on after it hasn't been used for several minutes the phone is not connected to wifi and then suddenly reconnects after a few seconds. Has anyone noticed this issue? I have an iPhone 6. Not sure if its an iPhone issue or the router.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by AppleFanBoy