Sprint Home Wifi Router [Wi-Fi Connect][Asus AC66u]

marioc21

The device was mentioned in a blog post. Not sure if this was really meant to be something ready for the masses. Really, who outside of this forum reads Sprint blog posts?

Rep said he'll call me back after talking to his supervisor. He knew exactly what I was talking about and saw everything that's needed to order it except there's no option to actually order it. Literally he said it showed "shipping soon" for the order option.

Looks like most people will need to wait til next week before everything is sorted out internally. 

lilotimz, did they ask you about your phone at all? she kept telling me my phone wasn't compatible (nexus 5) with WiFi calling, which ofc it isnt, but the router would be great.

lilotimz, did they ask you about your phone at all? she kept telling me my phone wasn't compatible (nexus 5) with WiFi calling, which ofc it isnt, but the router would be great.

Nope but I do have wifi calling capable devices on my account and the reps checked my account during the call.

I think they do require you to have active wifi calling devices in order to get one.

Sent from my Nexus 5

e-care is useless so far.... Might have to wait a few days for the info to flow down the ranks. 

Edit: sales chat reps don't have information yet. 

This is why I do not get you guys beating your heads against the wall by forcing the issue about a niche service or product on the very first couple of days.  Give it at least a week.  Or do you expect to die in that time?  I doubt it -- because I also suspect that many of you are young.  On the other hand, once you get past about 35, you understand that gratification next week or even next month is just fine.  Life goes on.

AJ

• Like 6

I figured I would try. The guy had no idea what I was talking about. It's apparently not in their system yet. As a good salesman though, he still tried to sell me that netgear router that connects to the cellular network.

Sent from my Note 4.

I got one ordered tonight. I initially called Airave support because the power supply on my unit died and was trying to get it replaced. After setting up an order for a replacement Airave I asked them about the WiFi Connect and they did mention that I had an offer on my account for a free WiFi connect. I was told I needed to have at least one WiFi calling device on my account and because I was already using an Airave for in home coverage I qualified. I was told I should receive it in 2-3 days. It makes sense the Airave team would be sending them out and not sales since it is to boost in home coverage.

I got one ordered tonight. I initially called Airave support because the power supply on my unit died and was trying to get it replaced. After setting up an order for a replacement Airave I asked them about the WiFi Connect and they did mention that I had an offer on my account for a free WiFi connect. I needed to have at least one WiFi calling device on my account to and because I was already using an Airave for in home coverage I qualified. I was told I should receive it in 2-3 days. It makes sense the Airave team would be sending them out and not sales since it is to boost in home coverage.

Do you have a phone number for them?

Sent from my Note 4.

I got one ordered tonight. I initially called Airave support because the power supply on my unit died and was trying to get it replaced. After setting up an order for a replacement Airave I asked them about the WiFi Connect and they did mention that I had an offer on my account for a free WiFi connect. I needed to have at least one WiFi calling device on my account to qualify. I was told I should receive it in 2-3 days. It makes sense the Airave team would be sending them out and not sales since it is to boost in home coverage.

I got bumped all around the departments earlier today trying to get one ordered after I read someone was able to order it.

Meh.

Sent from my Nexus 5

Do you have a phone number for them?

Sent from my Note 4.

I don't have a direct number. I called customer service and told them I was having problems with my Airave and they transferred me directly.

I got bumped all around the departments earlier today trying to get tone ordered after I read someone was able to order it.

Meh.

Sent from my Nexus 5

You could try the Airave support team. Call customer service and ask about the Airave for in home coverage and you'll get transferred. The Airave support team isn't something you would normally get transferred to unless you ask about it specifically.

I don't have a direct number. I called customer service and told them I was having problems with my Airave and they transferred me directly.

You could try the Airave support team. Call customer service and ask about the Airave for in home coverage and you'll get transferred. The Airave support team isn't something you would normally get transferred to unless you ask about it specifically.

I was transfered there after I requested since the telesales agent couldn't order it. Rep said it was the wifi connect support team but I knew it was the airave support number when the rep gave it to me.

Airave Rep transfered me out of there once she figured out I wanted a wifi connect router and not an airave and the phone call disconnected during the transfer so I'm not sure where I was being transferred but I'm pretty sure it would be the whole circle back to the number on the sprint site.

Their number is 1-866-556-7310

Sent from my Nexus 5

I was transfered there after I requested since the telesales agent couldn't order it. Rep said it was the wifi connect support team but I knew it was the airave support number when the rep gave it to me.

Airave Rep transfered me out of there once she figured out I wanted a wifi connect router and not an airave and the phone call disconnected during the transfer so I'm not sure where I was being transferred but I'm pretty sure it would be the whole circle back to the number on the sprint site.

Their number is 1-866-556-7310

Sent from my Nexus 5

That sucks, I did get transferred around a few times before I ended up at Airave support. I wonder if already having an Airave on my account helped in getting the router ordered.

That sucks, I did get transferred around a few times before I ended up at Airave support. I wonder if already having an Airave on my account helped in getting the router ordered.

Luckily my account has been annotated that I need a wifi connect router so whenever they figure things out on how to actually order the damn thing I would get a call back or I can call and get one. 

That disconnect between departments ... sigh. 

At least the reps were friendly enough. It's just something that they can't control. 

Luckily my account has been annotated that I need a wifi connect router so whenever they figure things out on how to actually order the damn thing I would get a call back or I can call and get one. 

That disconnect between departments ... sigh. 

At least the reps were friendly enough. It's just something that they can't control. 

Here's what I was told via Sprint Chat:

For the signal booster. We actually have dedicated team that handles this concern. They will need to review the account, the network on the area, and coverage. They will also run diagnostics on your device and network. Once diagnostics are done and your are eligible for free signal booster our technical team will give you the booster.

Here's what I was told via Sprint Chat:

Sounds a bit too complicated. 

All the reps I talked to stated the requirements needed was basically a wi-fi calling capable device on the account that is in good standing and the subscriber calling in to inquire about it. The reps I talked to basically had everything set up and verified to get the router but no option to. 

Meh. Patience is a virtue. 

Don't contact telesales or chat. You have to contact the number on the site. 

Sounds a bit too complicated. 

All the reps I talked to stated the requirements needed was basically a wi-fi calling capable device on the account that is in good standing and the subscriber calling in to inquire about it. The reps I talked to basically had everything set up and verified to get the router but no option to. 

Meh. Patience is a virtue. 

Don't contact telesales or chat. You have to contact the number on the site. 

I had some time and was in the office for a spell, so I thought I'd fire up the chat and multi-task. I'll definitely call later this week when the reps have a little more time to suss things out.

With this ASUS router, I'll be able to effectively put my AirPort Extreme to bed and have a router with QoS so I can hook up VoIP and dump my overpriced home telephone service. In addition to this being a free router, it's also set to save me up to $20/mo in home phone dumb-ness from my Cable Company.

I had some time and was in the office for a spell, so I thought I'd fire up the chat and multi-task. I'll definitely call later this week when the reps have a little more time to suss things out.

With this ASUS router, I'll be able to effectively put my AirPort Extreme to bed and have a router with QoS so I can hook up VoIP and dump my overpriced home telephone service. In addition to this being a free router, it's also set to save me up to $20/mo in home phone dumb-ness from my Cable Company.

Im hoping to use this in conjunction with my new ISP coming in sometime this week.

Massive speed increase from 18 mbps to ~50 mbps in conjunction with better wifi connectivity throughout the house would be quite a pleasant indeed. 

• Like 1

(Off topic) I wish I could do the same. My telco requires a phone line along with their dsl. I pay about $20 for a phone that I don't use. It's my only option for broadband (other than wireless) so I'm kinda stuck. I hear they might possibly offer cable Internet later this year so I'm hoping I can drop the phone line if that ever happens.

Sent from my Note 4.

• Like 1

Im hoping to use this in conjunction with my new ISP coming in sometime this week.

Massive speed increase from 18 mbps to ~50 mbps in conjunction with better wifi connectivity throughout the house would be quite a pleasant indeed. 

I'm really looking forward to the range & capacity increases from my 4 year old 802.11n Airport router. I've been really happy with how easy it's been to print and share drives, and I'd still like to keep it connected in bridge mode for that purpose... but having the 802.11ac range, plus capacity, is going to be welcome in our house with more and more devices coming online.

I just got off the phone with CS...they had absolutely no clue what I was talking about. I directed them to the press release, and said she said she had heard absolutely nothing. She almost didn't believe they would be providing wifi routers.

So I guess we will need to wait a little more...maybe I will tweet Marcelo and ask him.

From my experience at the call center, this is how things worked:

• Press release sent out 9am
  • Tech website report at 9:30am
  • Internal reference website updated at 11am with press release and nothing else
  • Customers begin calling.

"Uh, what are you asking about???? Oh, heres the release, we know as much as you do!"

• Internal email goes out at maybe 4pm if the supervisors have been getting a ton fo questions. Essentially links to internal page.
  • Next day or so, internal reference website updated with actual details.
  • Two weeks later, mandatory training on new feature or policy.

Keep in mind any call centers reps are given zero free times to browse information on their own.

If your shift starts at 9am, you need to be talking to a customer at 9:02am (the two minutes it to allow log in and opening of software).

• Like 1

From my experience at the call center, this is how things worked:

• Press release sent out 9am
  • Tech website report at 9:30am
  • Internal reference website updated at 11am with press release and nothing else
  • Customers begin calling.

"Uh, what are you asking about???? Oh, heres the release, we know as much as you do!"

• Internal email goes out at maybe 4pm if the supervisors have been getting a ton fo questions. Essentially links to internal page.
  • Next day or so, internal reference website updated with actual details.
  • Two weeks later, mandatory training on new feature or policy.
Keep in mind any call centers reps are given zero free times to browse information on their own.

If your shift starts at 9am, you need to be talking to a customer at 9:02am (the two minutes it to allow log in and opening of software).

All of that should've been done BEFORE the announcements were made. It makes absolutely no sense to announce something and say it's available when it isn't!

And to everyone else about the RT-AC66U router, I've had one for two years now and it's been an amazing router. It just has a couple of bugs with the wifi that require me to reset the NVRAM occasionally, and another one that requires me to reboot it. I think it's some kind of a hardware problem as I've re flashed the firmware and done everything possible to troubleshoot and have come up with nothing besides that it's probably the HW.

The 2.4Ghz range is amazing, my iPhone will stay connected all the way to the neighbors house 2 doors down which is about 200 feet. In the house it works at every corner including the very opposite end in the basement about 70 feet away from the router. The 5Ghz range is pretty good too.

The 66U is the predecessor to the 68U which is what t-mobile uses for its "Cellspot router"

I'm probably going to call about it this week. I'd love to check it out. Anyone know the specifics with the Sprint firmware that differentiates it from the stock ASUS firmware?

I would imagine that the only difference in QoS would be to prioritize Sprint voice traffic. I could be wrong though - that happens frequently. :)

• Like 1

Just called and got the "wifi router" ordered! 

Looks like the reps got their monday training or at least some of them did!

Requirements AFAIK

--------------------------

1) You calling in to inquire about it

2) At least 1 Wi-Fi calling capable device on account

3) "Bad" existing wifi coverage and you complaining about crappy sprint signal

4) One of the compatible high speed internet providers (they will ask you for it and check a compatible list)

I would imagine that the only difference in QoS would be to prioritize Sprint voice traffic. I could be wrong though - that happens frequently. :)

Sprint wifi calling QoS and there's a custom software to actively swap you between 2.4ghz and 5 ghz bands. That's something that's always bugged me with wifi since the device always sticks to 2.4ghz when 5 ghz is available and just as strong.

• Like 3