Sprint Home Wifi Router [Wi-Fi Connect][Asus AC66u]

marioc21

Nothing special at all. Just connected the Airave like its another device on the router. Just make sure you connect the Airave to the WAN port. (Closes to the power plug)

Nothing special at all. Just connected the Airave like its another device on the router. Just make sure you connect the Airave to the WAN port. (Closes to the power plug)

While that setup has worked for me in the past, it is not working since I got all this new equipment. Thanks for verifying that it should be possible to get it working, at least. (Sprint customer service said their two boxes would not be able to work together going modem-router-airave)

While that setup has worked for me in the past, it is not working since I got all this new equipment. Thanks for verifying that it should be possible to get it working, at least. (Sprint customer service said their two boxes would not be able to work together going modem-router-airave)

That's what I was told, but yet its possible. Have you also tried bridging the modem and passing everything to the router?

That's what I was told, but yet its possible. Have you also tried bridging the modem and passing everything to the router?

Yes my modem is bridged. I tried switching my routers so the TP-Link Archer C8 is the main router, and the Airave connects through that just fine. So it is definitely an issue with the Sprint router, or at least how I configured it.

I might do a factory reset and give it another shot, but I also can just use the WiFi connect as a second access point until all the phones in the house have WiFi calling and I can ditch the Airave.

I've often wondered, what is the minimum upload speed to use for voice over WiFi calling?

Voice over IP (VOIP) services will work with as low a 30kbps upload and download.  VOIP sounds best with 90Kbps upload and download and requires a low ping rate to work properly.  This means your ping time must be less than 250ms (1/4 of a second).  Satellite internet does not work well because of the high ping time and the ping time must also be fairly steady.  Home broadband connections (not dial-up) are a minimum of 128Kbps upload and 512Kbps download on even the slowest plan and most have a slowest speed that is at least 4 times those speeds so almost everyone can run VOIP.

If you do not have QOS voice prioritization on your home network, VOIP will break up horribly if you are doing things like downloading large files, streaming, torrenting, or anything that maxes out either your upload or download bandwidth while talking on the telephone.  QOS fixes this problem by re-ordering your data packets so that the packets your router thinks are high priority are uploaded first.  QOS does very little on the download side but that is usually fine since upload speeds are often much slower than download speeds on home internet connections.

Thanks for the reply radem. I don't have the fastest speed 12mbps/1.5mbps up but from what sounds like that speed is more than enough for voice over WiFi calling. And I just got off the phone and will get the new Sprint Asus router!

Yes my modem is bridged. I tried switching my routers so the TP-Link Archer C8 is the main router, and the Airave connects through that just fine. So it is definitely an issue with the Sprint router, or at least how I configured it.

I might do a factory reset and give it another shot, but I also can just use the WiFi connect as a second access point until all the phones in the house have WiFi calling and I can ditch the Airave.

I would try that and along with factory resetting the Airave after the router is setup. (If I remember correctly, that is what I had to do when I first tried this setup) I would love get rid of the Airave 2 years ago if I had the chance.

I set it up as an access point and all good. Not sure what to do with my evenings now if I'm really all done messing with networking stuff...

Actually, scratch that. I am having all kinds of problems with the handoff from one router to the other. Log shows "received packet with own address as source address". Some reports on snbforums that firmware updates from Asus have fixed this but who knows if we'll get those on the Sprint version.

Anyone else seeing this?

Just ordered the router for my parents.  How easy is this to set up for themselves or should I drive all the way over there to set up?

It redirects you to set it up once it's hooked up via LAN cable.  But, I don't know how tech literate your parents are.  :frantic:

• Like 1

To display and turn on AP Mode see the attached image for the section of code that you should comment out (the Green section of code).

I used Chrome's Developer Tools to do it.

The change doesn't persist outside of that page. If you navigate away from that page and return, it will load the page without the commented section and the AP Mode option won't be available.

post-15449-0-45310700-1432429512_thumb.png

To display and turn on AP Mode see the attached image for the section of code that you should comment out (the Green section of code).

I used Chrome's Developer Tools to do it.

The change doesn't persist outside of that page. If you navigate away from that page and return, it will load the page without the commented section and the AP Mode option won't be available.

Any luck with bridge mode?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Any luck with bridge mode?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I've not attempted it. Don't have a need for it and don't really have the time to tinker with it currently. 

Might play around with it in a few weeks time, though.

It was mentioned a few pages back, you can get to AP mode without messing around like that, just by clicking on the quick setup and then "configure manually". I had it set up that way earlier but was having issues with handoff between access points.

Edited by djw39
  • Like 1

It was mentioned a few pages back, you can get to AP mode without messing around like that, just by clicking on the quick setup and then "configure manually". I had it set up that way earlier but was having issues with handoff between access points.

When I do the Quick Setup, I don't see the configure manually option.  I can set this up as a main router in the basement but would rather use it in my living room as an Access Point to boost my network there rather than having the WIFI function unused.  My current G router in the living room is rather unsatisfactory.

Can someone help or post a guide on how to get the AP mode to show?

For the mods, this is for my intents and purposes using the router according to Sprint's target, which is to have us use the WIFI calling at home.  Having this as my main router sort of defeats the purpose.  I have a Netgear WNDR3700 as my main router now and I basically turned off the WIFI for that since I can't even get reliable connection in the basement room next to the garage, which is where it is located.  I used that as the main previously also because of the Gigabits ports so this Sprint/Asus router would be a significant upgrade to my Linksys 54G in the living room if I can use it as an AP.

Thanks!!

When I do the Quick Setup, I don't see the configure manually option.

Maybe disconnect the network before you hit quick setup so it doesn't automatically configure?

Maybe disconnect the network before you hit quick setup so it doesn't automatically configure?

I did it two ways, I tried connecting the computer directly to one of the LAN ports (1-4) to set it up meaning no internet connection at this point.  The second way is that I connect to the router using WIFI then connect a cable from a LAN port from the main router to LAN1 port on the router.  Maybe I need to connect it to WAN for it to show the option?  I'll try that tonight but didn't yesterday since WAN port is generally used for router and we have to use LAN to use as AP for other brands of routers.

Do you have a screenshot of what the configure manually button looks like?  Obviously having that option makes it easier but if not, do you mind giving a instruction on how to edit line in the console?

Edited by WhatTheSlow

Do you have a screenshot of what the configure manually button looks like?

Here you go. Second screen after hitting "Go" once. The router is not hooked up to the modem, so it cannot detect a connection automatically.

5ebadf13f9fac4830a79748721daeced.jpg

• Like 1

Here you go. Second screen after hitting "Go" once. The router is not hooked up to the modem, so it cannot detect a connection automatically.

Thanks!! I was able to get it to work after resetting the router and do it from the beginning.  This thing is so much faster than my G router. =)

Have people been able to maintain a steady connection with this router? It keeps disconnecting me from the Internet and is really slow at times. My Apple Time Capsule has a much more stable connection.

Also, since I do have 2 routers, should I set up the Asus as an access point? Unfortunately, I cannot place it in a room other than the one the Time Capsule is in but if I put the Time Capsule on one band and the Asus on another, that should minimize interference right? Is it even worth it if the routers are going to be placed right next to each other?

Have people been able to maintain a steady connection with this router? It keeps disconnecting me from the Internet and is really slow at times. My Apple Time Capsule has a much more stable connection.

Also, since I do have 2 routers, should I set up the Asus as an access point? Unfortunately, I cannot place it in a room other than the one the Time Capsule is in but if I put the Time Capsule on one band and the Asus on another, that should minimize interference right? Is it even worth it if the routers are going to be placed right next to each other?

If the routers will be in the same room, I'd remove the Time Capsule from the equation all together and see if the stability improves on the ASUS.

If not, then making sure the Time Capsule and the ASUS are on non-overlapping channels would also work to eliminate interference.

Setting the ASUS up as an AP will simplify the routing in your network. Instead of devices connected to the ASUS getting a 192.168.27.XXX address, they'll get one in the same subnet as other devices connected to the router behind the ASUS.

• Like 1

As per my earlier posts, I found it did not behave well in a network with another router. It is now sitting in the box unused. Maybe if Sprint or Asus has a firmware update I will try again.

• Like 1