Sprint Home Wifi Router [Wi-Fi Connect][Asus AC66u]

marioc21

Got my router and installed it but have been noticing after turning my phone screen on after it hasn't been used for several minutes the phone is not connected to wifi and then suddenly reconnects after a few seconds. Has anyone noticed this issue? I have an iPhone 6. Not sure if its an iPhone issue or the router.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do not have this issue at all. I have a strong signal all over my home and it stays connected all day. Wi-Fi calling has been working great so far.  I have a Samsung Galaxy s-5

Got my router and installed it but have been noticing after turning my phone screen on after it hasn't been used for several minutes the phone is not connected to wifi and then suddenly reconnects after a few seconds. Has anyone noticed this issue? I have an iPhone 6. Not sure if its an iPhone issue or the router.

That happens a lot with iPhones in general.

-Anthony

I downloaded an app from Play Store, WiFi Analyzer.  It showed me my neighbor's WiFi Channel they're broadcasting on.  Surprisingly, they're mostly on Channel 6 and 11, so I switched mine to 1 and now my use to be unstable network is rock solid. This router is great.

That happens a lot with iPhones in general.

-Anthony

It didn't happen with my previous router but then again it wasn't dual channel. But also not going to argue that the iPhone isn't the issue.

• Like 1

I downloaded an app from Play Store, WiFi Analyzer. It showed me my neighbor's WiFi Channel they're broadcasting on. Surprisingly, they're mostly on Channel 6 and 11, so I switched mine to 1 and now my use to be unstable network is rock solid. This router is great.

I have been using that app for a long time now. It is a great resource for that purpose.

Sent from my Note 4.

• Like 1

I have been using that app for a long time now. It is a great resource for that purpose.

Sent from my Note 4.

Yes, second the recommendation. For WiFi analyzer app. It is also good for figuring out where in your house to put the router(s)
  • Like 1

I downloaded an app from Play Store, WiFi Analyzer.  It showed me my neighbor's WiFi Channel they're broadcasting on.  Surprisingly, they're mostly on Channel 6 and 11, so I switched mine to 1 and now my use to be unstable network is rock solid. This router is great.

I use the Wi-Fi analyzer app too.  Great app. Every techie should have it.

The Sprint Asus router placed me on Channel 1 by default.  My nearest neighbor was on channel 1.   I had several other "G" channels that worked much better.   It did the same thing with the "N' band too. Two nearby neighbors were on Channel 149 and I was placed there too. Channel 157 was unused, so I moved there. 

• Like 1

I guess I'm fortunate to only have a few wifi routers in my neighborhood. My router is on Channel 6 for 2.4 GHz and 153 for 5 GHz. No one else in my area is on those channels.

Sent from Josh's iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk

Have to do manual setup to get that option. Otherwise it will keep asking for the wan port connection. I did lan to lan setup, set the asus lan ip to 192.168.1.2. On the main router set the start of dhcp lease to 192.168.1.8

This is the information I needed.

Wanted to forward all DHCP and DNS responsibilities to the main router in the house. Assuming this configurations allows this?

For the guys who want to run this router in ap mode the option is hidden in the web code. If you're good with your browsers developer console you can change it from hidden to active by delete the hidden/disabled tag in the code. I did it with chrome with the developer tools. Also media bridge and repeater mode seem to be present but don't work correctly when when enabled. It goes to a unknown page like it's not even in the firmware. I'm going to try more to open the router up but I would like to eventually flash merlin on it so everything is enabled and more. This is essentially a ac66 with hard core tools locked down.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

For the guys who want to run this router in ap mode the option is hidden in the web code. If you're good with your browsers developer console you can change it from hidden to active by delete the hidden/disabled tag in the code. I did it with chrome with the developer tools. Also media bridge and repeater mode seem to be present but don't work correctly when when enabled. It goes to a unknown page like it's not even in the firmware. I'm going to try more to open the router up but I would like to eventually flash merlin on it so everything is enabled and more. This is essentially a ac66 with hard core tools locked down.

That's done easily enough. Thanks for the info.

Getting some custom firmware on this device would be ideal.

f72871997ce62f70ed9cc1ccd37c4fb1.jpg

..... ????

There may some different hardware with this router. This and the 3200 are the only Asus routers with smart connect. There has to be some hardware difference with that.

Edited by david279

There may some different hardware with this router. This and the 3200 are the only Asus routers with smart connect. There has to be some hardware difference with that.

Smart Connect didn't work well for me.  It placed me on the same channel as neighbors which caused interference.   I think it's the firmware, though.  Some models have firmware that supports it, others don't.

Smart Connect didn't work well for me. It placed me on the same channel as neighbors which caused interference. I think it's the firmware, though. Some models have firmware that supports it, others don't.

I turned it off as well. I know in regular Asus firmware you can tweak the threshold levels. I turn it off and the 2.4 Band. I'm looking for performance and ac does just fine by itself.

Edited by david279

huh, i'm running mine in AP mode and didn't have to do any of that to get there. it asked me in the initial setup wizard which mode i wanted to run it in and i picked it from there. at the top of the screen it says what mode its in and you can click on that to get to the screen to change it.

asus.JPG

[Mine comes tomorrow!] Does this generally prioritize all voice traffic, or does it have something specific to Sprint's WiFi calling prioritized? I also have an Airave and a Voip box (Ooma Telo), have to decide whether to put them upstream or downstream of the router, and if I need to forward UDP ports etc. I think if the WiFi Connect router is setting all voice to high priority, I will just attach the extra boxes and not worry about it

huh, i'm running mine in AP mode and didn't have to do any of that to get there. it asked me in the initial setup wizard which mode i wanted to run it in and i picked it from there. at the top of the screen it says what mode its in and you can click on that to get to the screen to change it.

That's in the initial wizard if you didn't do it from there its hidden. Also on your pic it shows only one mode, that because the others are hidden. There should be 3 other choices there. Media bridge, access point and repeater mode.

This is what it should look like at all times.

For some reason my screen does not look like that. All i have is router option. Listed

@david279 to be clear you are describing what it "should" look like if it were running stock Asus firmware instead of the Sprint setup, is that correct?

Yes...

which one if you don't mind my asking? There are a ton with the name "WiFi Analyzer" in Play Store!

thanks - I seem to have some dead zones at home and my kids are always complaining about drops so will put this to good use before installing more powerline adapters.