Sprint Home Wifi Router [Wi-Fi Connect][Asus AC66u]

marioc21

I have 9 lines... They should give me two of them!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

And? I got 5 lines and you don't see me complaining. If you want another one, go buy one. Sprint really doesn't have to even give this to us if they don't want to.

And? I got 5 lines and you don't see me complaining. If you want another one, go buy one. Sprint really doesn't have to even give this to us if they don't want to.

Get off my back and quit trolling.... I asked about it, tried it and was unsuccessful until you replied to an old post!

Get off my back and quit trolling.... I asked about it, tried it and was unsuccessful until you replied to an old post!

Someone needs to chill out. You replied yesterday....

Doesn't seem to be an official firmware update for this unit available, right?  Based on the firmware revision there are quite a bit of patches/enhancements in the RT-AC66U firmware that would be nice to have on this unit.

Doesn't seem to be an official firmware update for this unit available, right? Based on the firmware revision there are quite a bit of patches/enhancements in the RT-AC66U firmware that would be nice to have on this unit.

There are workarounds in the router tweaking forums. I'm sure you can find the necessary guides and files on a site like smallnetworkbuilder for the ac66.. Cough cough

Doesn't seem to be an official firmware update for this unit available, right?  Based on the firmware revision there are quite a bit of patches/enhancements in the RT-AC66U firmware that would be nice to have on this unit.

Yeah, just put stock firmware on it.  Gotta find a proper tutorial on how to.  Can't just download and update with ASUS firmware.  I spent only 30 minutes on the work around and I was half a sleep.  

The extra features and being updated are nice.  But I recommend it even just for the performance boost.  I got a massive performance boost getting off the stock Sprint firmware. 

• 3 weeks later...

Any thoughts/experiences on battery life when using wifi + airave, vs wifi calling w/o airave?

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk

My experience has been wifi calling is a battery hog though I haven't used a M9 or another wifi calling device on Marshmallow so maybe they changed that... 

• 5 weeks later...

Does sprint still offer free routers?

I'm sure they do, but to be honest wifi calling has been a slight hit and miss. It works most of the time, but on rare occasions there is a slight delay that grows as the call session goes on. I have the Sprint router paired with Time Warner Cable internet (sub 30 Ms ping to a server 50 miles away). To top it off, I also experience missed calls every blue moon when my phone switches back and forth from wifi to the Sprint Network. Unless you really need it (for example, if 1x800 doesn't cut it), then I would just avoid it.

But if a free router is what you have in mind, then by all means go for it. It's a pretty decent dual band router that gets the job done. Coverage is way better than the old Linksys that I had since mid 2006.

Your router stock? I found it to be a giant POS until I installed stock Asus firmware.

No problems with S6 WiFi calling.

Sure is.

I'm a bit of a boyscout. The router is still technically property of Sprint so I'm not messing with it until the full year is up.

You can flash it back if needed. But in my testing, Sprint really goofed up the firmware big time unless mine just had a bad image. Performance everywhere was seriously beyond poor. Iay not have flashed it if that wasn't the case and it was actually updated instep with ASUS updates.

However I respect that. To each their own. Though when that time passes, I highly encourage it get flashed just from my experience. :-D

Thanks for all the info. Didn't know if it wasn't outdated. I'll hit up Sprint and get the free router. :) and I will be flashing it. Won't be leaving Sprint

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I ordered my WiFi Connect the day it was announced to the stores and received it about 3 days later.  It blew my mind on how powerful the router was.  For the first time in a long time there was something offered for free that did not have major problems!

I have worked for Sprint since 2001 and have never seen an amazing promo like this!

I would recommend EVERYONE to go and order one of these immediately! There is absolutely no reason to suffer with poor reception in your home if there is a FREE solution to increase your cell phone service and as a benefit a router that will provide a very strong reliable signal over a great distance.

I can pickup a strong signal approximately 200 - 250 ft away from my home.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone connected their printer using this router? I can't seem to get my HP Officejet 5744 connected to my router to share it between my computers. If I use another router like my D-Link 880L I have no issues.

Has anyone connected their printer using this router? I can't seem to get my HP Officejet 5744 connected to my router to share it between my computers. If I use another router like my D-Link 880L I have no issues.

Yes.  I have two HP8600 printers connected to the router via Ethernet cords just because it was so easy to connect that way. Two laptops on Wi-Fi and two Desktops on Ethernet cord can all access the printers.

Yes.  I have two HP8600 printers connected to the router via Ethernet cords just because it was so easy to connect that way. Two laptops on Wi-Fi and two Desktops on Ethernet cord can all access the printers.

If I use the Official HP drivers it pulls the router's IP instead of the printer's IP, even though I can ping it and if I try to update the IP from the software that HP proves it still won't print or scan. The only way right now is to not use the drivers and go to Devices and Printers and click on Add Printer which uses a default driver from Microsoft.

I even tried connecting via USB from printer to router and using the USB printer software ASUS proves in the router, but that locks up my computer and still won't even print or scan.

My HP 8600 works fine on my WifiConnect about 90% of the time. The other 10% is usually fixed by rebooting my Mac.

Sent from my Gold iPhone 6s Plus 128GB using Tapatalk

If I use the Official HP drivers it pulls the router's IP instead of the printer's IP, even though I can ping it and if I try to update the IP from the software that HP proves it still won't print or scan. The only way right now is to not use the drivers and go to Devices and Printers and click on Add Printer which uses a default driver from Microsoft.

I even tried connecting via USB from printer to router and using the USB printer software ASUS proves in the router, but that locks up my computer and still won't even print or scan.

I just used the official 8600 software and installed the printers as "Network printers".  A standard network install.   I did have an issue when I obtained a new laptop with Windows 10.  I had to install a "APP" for the printer to get it to scan. The printer portion did work.

The"APP" was not on the HP website and the existence of the "APP" was not mentioned on the website at that time. I can not remember where I found the "APP", but it is available somewhere on the internet. 

I just used the official 8600 software and installed the printers as "Network printers".  A standard network install.   I did have an issue when I obtained a new laptop with Windows 10.  I had to install a "APP" for the printer to get it to scan. The printer portion did work.

The"APP" was not on the HP website and the existence of the "APP" was not mentioned on the website at that time. I can not remember where I found the "APP", but it is available somewhere on the internet. 

Ah! Well if you know where I can download that, let me know.

Ah! Well if you know where I can download that, let me know.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-Officejet-4500-All-in-One-Printer-Series---G510/3919445/model/3919446/document/c04675206

I am not positive that I used this exact link to find the APP, but it was something very close to this.

The APP I installed to make the Scan feature work was an official APP and not a hack by some unknown individual.   My printers are 8600 model, so I am not sure this one that might be for a different model is what I used or what you need.  Might be worth a try.