T-Mobile LTE & Network Discussion V2

lilotimz

b85342b2f0eb91d0c3f377274b9e5192.jpg

So T-Mobile sent me a email talking the unlimited video steaming for my line. What was weird was at the bottom it says limited time offers. Maybe I'm reading too deep into it but this possibly could be around for long...maybe I could be wrong too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 weeks ago. And by he I'm thinking someone at FW. 30 days of its posts were removed, so someone at FW got pissed or fed up. That looks like a ban. (Look at the comments on articles from ~October to verify). 

It's obviously not moderated much if any. Even worse, it's like a dodgeball match when it gets heated and they do nothing (unless I'm wrong but I rarely ever visit HF). 

Anyone know some brief history on that site? 

Oh wow I can finally add FW back to my favorites.

• Like 1

So the BingeOn kicked on where I'm located. Based on how it looks it's still of good quality and will get the job done for the average person. But I will say that the sound is kinda hallow though. For me I'll be turning it off since I have the truly unlimited package.

• Like 1

I got it activated on my account too.

1750kbps 480p on Netflix. Turn wifi on and it jumps to 1080p at 5800kbps. So quite a bandwidth savings. Quality looks good on my iPhone 6s Plus. I rarely watch mobile video, but I'll probably keep it on.

In other news, T-Mobile finally brought back gradient coverage maps. It still sucks a bit because you have to zoom very far in to see it. For example, they say they have pretty much all of Michigan's lower peninsula covered but when I zoom in, so much of it is "Fair Signal", otherwise known as you might get coverage but probably not. Even in Upstate New York, I'm finding vast swaths of fair LTE.

I feel like this goes back to AJ's thoughts a while back stating that in order for T-Mobile to achieve their goal, they're probably going to have poor site density.

In other news, T-Mobile finally brought back gradient coverage maps. It still sucks a bit because you have to zoom very far in to see it. For example, they say they have pretty much all of Michigan's lower peninsula covered but when I zoom in, so much of it is "Fair Signal", otherwise known as you might get coverage but probably not. Even in Upstate New York, I'm finding vast swaths of fair LTE.

I feel like this goes back to AJ's thoughts a while back stating that in order for T-Mobile to achieve their goal, they're probably going to have poor site density.

They also added a toggle to view without 700MHz coverage if you click on an area where 700MHz is deployed.

I'm still not a fan of their maps and how you are first shown this great map. You literally have to zoom far in to see real coverage. When I zoomed it it was really patchy between excellent lte and fair. I'm going to assume T-Mobile changed up their map to cover theirselves if someone was to complain or challenge the claim that they cover 302 million pops and according t their map I should have excellent coverage but I don't. But even still you have to zoom in really close to see your actual coverage.

• Like 1

Maybe it will vary across areas but I've been in a good bit of the "fair" coverage spots on T-Mobile and received better than what I would consider "fair" coverage. 1-3 bars LTE usually. Sometimes even indoors. So perhaps maybe "fair" isn't trying to be ultra optimistic like AT&T's "fair" where it really means "NO SERVICE".

I am happy to see they fixed the maps. I still liked the 2G/LTE layers on the old map better though.

• Like 1

"Since Binge on started today, my speeds have dropped to about .5-1MBPS. I got over 30MbPs from my house yesterday.

I am on the Unlimited LTE plan

I can't get video streams to load at all or they are loading super slow and terrible quality.

Anyone else having these issues with video?"

It's happening :)

Already happened in my area, 8:52 AM

Not de-prioritized, not throttled..

4834913174.png

• Like 1

Hmm... that's interesting. I didn't think BingeOn became available to existing customers until the 19th. So unless they have a ton of new adds, most likely existing customers are mistaken and burning through their data plans at full speed.

My speeds have taken a hit also. I normally pull atleast 40mbps at my house and now I can't even get past 7 mbps.

I have bingeing activated on my account already. It's listed under services. And I can confirm Netflix limited to 480p resolution at 1750kbps (1080p on wifi runs 5800kbps). Quality looks great on iPhone 6s Plus.

My speeds at home have not changed at all either...still over 60Mbps.

Does everyone here have a second T-Mobile line or something? I didn't realize so many Sprint users were using T-Mobile side by side. (Thought it was only me and a few others!)

Seeing this makes me very happy I didn't choose T-Mobile as my new primary carrier when I was shopping. Just yesterday I was out driving around and pretty much anywhere that was even remotely dense in this suburb of mine was running a little on the slow side (was usable but walking a fine line where adding just a few more users would make it crash). As I got closer to home, where population density drops down a little but network density stays the same, it got back up into the 30s-40s.

I wonder how T-Mobile is handling the added traffic in Chicago. It was already teetering on the line between usable and unusable before...

T-Mobiles maps updated with gradients now. Much better than before.

Sent from my Nexus 5X

I agree, having gradients is much better. Plus now from desktop you can toggle 700MHz on or off by selecting "device" at the top right corner. Pick "Other phones" and then "My device is not in the list". (I think from Mobile you can do something similar)

• Like 1

T-Mobiles maps updated with gradients now. Much better than before.

FINALLY. And wow do certain previously all dark pink areas now look ugly -- even by their standards. And yes, even worse than Sprint (although they now just claim massive amounts of land have a "fair" signal, but at least we can take that for what it's worth). 

Much better. They are simply not on Verizon or AT&T's level, so glad they got off that pedestal.

BingeOn 480p vs wifi 1080p

Device: iPhone 6S Plus. T-Mobile LTE averages 60Mbps at my house. FiOS wifi averages 55Mbps.

http://m.imgur.com/RqelK1g,cyxEBYd

Pretty significant bandwidth savings.

How do you get your phone to show that information. I'm assuming this is Netflix, but I am uncertain.

Does everyone here have a second T-Mobile line or something? I didn't realize so many Sprint users were using T-Mobile side by side. (Thought it was only me and a few others!)

Seeing this makes me very happy I didn't choose T-Mobile as my new primary carrier when I was shopping. Just yesterday I was out driving around and pretty much anywhere that was even remotely dense in this suburb of mine was running a little on the slow side (was usable but walking a fine line where adding just a few more users would make it crash). As I got closer to home, where population density drops down a little but network density stays the same, it got back up into the 30s-40s.

I wonder how T-Mobile is handling the added traffic in Chicago. It was already teetering on the line between usable and unusable before...

I'm trying to decide between the two of them as my go-to as well. Sprint offers more overall rural coverage in my area (southern Wisconsin) and is cheaper. However their voice quality to me just doesn't sound as good, and I can pick up on Sprints media re-compression often enough that it bugs me. Although T-Mobile has enough EDGE/dead spots to be annoying at times (building penetration), I tend to be happier with their service quality.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1