T-Mobile LTE & Network Discussion V2

lilotimz

Seriously 2TB, that is a lot of fapping... 

Jacking it, jacking it

Jackity, jack

Spanking it, spanking it

Smackity, smack

AJ

• Like 4

http://newsroom.t-mobile.com/issues-insights-blog/video-calling.htm

T-Mobile has announced Video Calling over LTE, here's the full blog post by CTO Neville Ray:

Announcing T-Mobile Video Calling

Being the Un-carrier™ means never settling for the status quo. And that’s as true for our technology as it is for our industry-rocking Un-carrier benefits. We now reach over 290 million people with America’s fastest 4G LTE network. And we’re working relentlessly to extend the benefits of our Data Strong™ network and roll out more groundbreaking features to Un-carrier customers.

Last year, we were first to roll out nationwide Voice over LTE (VoLTE), and I promised more rich communications services to come. Then, last month, we gave messaging a massive upgrade and brought SMS and MMS into the mobile Internet age with T-Mobile Advanced Messaging. Today, we’re doing the same for phone calls with the launch of T-Mobile Video Calling.

Of course, there are apps that do video calling. But this isn’t another app. T-Mobile Video Calling represents a huge step forward in how Americans make mobile phone calls.

First, T-Mobile Video Calling works right out-of-the-box from your smartphone’s dialer. There’s no need to search out, download, configure and register additional apps.

And, as you’d expect from the Un-carrier, T-Mobile Video Calling couldn’t be simpler to use. Place and receive calls as you normally would—simply choose either the video call button or voice call button. Really. It’s that easy.

On devices with T-Mobile Video Calling, small camera icons appear next to contacts with devices able to receive video calls. If the person you’re calling can’t take video calls, the video call icon is greyed out. We’re working with others so you can eventually enjoy built-in video calling across wireless networks.

You can make T-Mobile Video Calls to and from capable devices on any available LTE connection − using data straight from your high-speed data bucket − as well as over Wi-Fi. Like HD Voice calls, T-Mobile Video Calling moves seamlessly between LTE and Wi-Fi. And, if you move off LTE or Wi-Fi to a slower connection, your video call seamlessly switches over to a voice call. If you move back to LTE or Wi-Fi, switch it back to video with a single tap.

Samsung Galaxy S6 edge+ and Samsung Galaxy Note 5 now have T-Mobile Video Calling available through simple software updates, while the Galaxy S6 and Galaxy S6 edge updates will be available next week. (To update your Samsung device with Video Calling, go to Settings > “About Device” > “Software Update”.)  By the end of the year, you’ll be able to make video calls on three more of our Video Calling-enabled devices, for a total of seven.

This is just the latest example of how the Un-carrier’s driving change in wireless. We were first to offer an Android phone and Wi-Fi Calling, first with HD Voice on both LTE and Wi-Fi, first with nationwide VoLTE calling and next-gen Wi-Fi Calling. Last month, we became the first and only in the U.S. to offer Advanced Messaging, upgrading regular SMS with real-time chat and the ability to share photos and videos up to 10MB right out of the box. And today, T-Mobile Video Calling marks the next stage in the evolution of our IP technology and Data Strong network.

It’s all part of our total commitment to delivering a next-gen wireless experience to a new generation of wireless customers.

• Like 2

All of this new stuff TMobile is coming out with sounds like iMessage and Facetime to me.  I'm sure it will be more readily available on multiple devices instead of just one (i.e. iPhones), but I don't see Apple implementing this either so it will just be an Android on TMobile thing.

All of this new stuff TMobile is coming out with sounds like iMessage and Facetime to me.  I'm sure it will be more readily available on multiple devices instead of just one (i.e. iPhones), but I don't see Apple implementing this either so it will just be an Android on TMobile thing.

I tend to believe they release it just to release it first. It's also another treat for their urban customers to scream about. And a distraction. How's their 2G to 3G overlay going? Oh yeah. 2G to LTE...?

• Like 1

There are critics, to be fair. 

https://twitter.com/disruptivedean/status/639490887823847424

That said, I don't see how there would be 17 users given it's going to be in all the T-Mobile phones. 

<history lesson> In the UK video calling was supposed to be a huge thing when '3g' was released. Calls were set at 50p (~75c) per minute, only worked between a few phones and mostly had to be on the same network, the whole concept died as only about 3 people used it, but the celcos had spent a lot of money on spectrum and deployment. They had huge amounts of unused capacity. Around this time, maybe a year or so later, netbooks started to be released and the 'dongles' for 3g internet which had been a niche product suddenly took off like a pigeon landing on a bbq.  

I did actually have a 'video phone' but only because I got it very cheap and could use it for mobile data. Tried a video call once and it was beyond terrible. 

</history lesson>

Basically we tried 3g calling before (not sure if the USA did), compatibility and price killed it, if its the same cost as a normal call and works between all phone makes and cell companies then there is a small chance it might take a bite out of the facetime \ skype market but how are they going to monetize it? Or is it just going to be a 'feature' or just use it to drive data usage?

Basically we tried 3g calling before (not sure if the USA did), compatibility and price killed it, if its the same cost as a normal call and works between all phone makes and cell companies then there is a small chance it might take a bite out of the facetime \ skype market but how are they going to monetize it? Or is it just going to be a 'feature' or just use it to drive data usage?

I assume this is being driven by cross carrier support in the future along with QoS.

The wife and I tried FaceTime a few times and we tried to do video Skype. After the newness wore off, we just did not use it anymore.

Really? I find myself using FaceTime all the time with my wife, usually when I'm off getting groceries and she's at home.

Really? I find myself using FaceTime all the time with my wife, usually when I'm off getting groceries and she's at home.

FaceTime.  The new way you can be annoying in the grocery store aisles now that Nextel Direct Connect is dead.

AJ

• Like 9

FaceTime.  The new way you can be annoying in the grocery store aisles now that Nextel Direct Connect is dead.

AJ

Yep, except that I am always cognizant of my surroundings and use headphones. ;)

• Like 1

AJ

For Video over LTE, they should blast the jingle before and after conversations begin for added effect by default. 

Edited by cortney

Yep, except that I am always cognizant of my surroundings and use headphones. ;)

I did not know that walking around looking at the screen of your phone attached to the end of a golf club now had become "cognizant of [your] surroundings."

20150104-SELFIESTICK-slide-PD67-jumbo.jp

AJ

• Like 2

The only time we use it now is when I am out of town and I remotely troubleshoot her computer!

I'm guilty of using FaceTime in the store! It has utility though, if you are buying for someone and aren't sure what you need to get, the rear facing camera can erase all doubt. That has saved me more than a few times.

Nextel had legit business cases too, it wasn't just "where you at" type deutschebaggery.

• Like 6

The wife and I tried FaceTime a few times and we tried to do video Skype. After the newness wore off, we just did not use it anymore.

Ditto for me.

Nextel had legit business cases too, it wasn't just "where you at" type deutschebaggery.

Nein!  The German government did not own part of Nextel.

And, besides, the name "Legere" sounds French.  The word "douche" is most definitely French.

AJ

Nein!  The German government did not own part of Nextel.

And, besides, the name "Legere" sounds French.  The word "douche" is most definitely French.

AJ

I always pronounce the French way but he insists it's pronounced "Ledger." It irks me slightly.

• Like 7

I'm using FaceTime a lot when I'm traveling. It's nice to be able to talk with and see the kids when I'm stuck in a hotel room somewhere.

My wife and I now do almost 90% of our communication via text. I hate talking on the phone.

• Like 2

I'm using FaceTime a lot when I'm traveling. It's nice to be able to talk with and see the kids when I'm stuck in a hotel room somewhere.

My wife and I now do almost 90% of our communication via text. I hate talking on the phone.

My job often requires contacting clients...I always try via Email or IM first.  But some of them prefer phone calls. ugh haha