T-Mobile LTE & Network Discussion V2

lilotimz

17 hours ago, mdob07 said:

Haven't found any SA N71 yet in Louisville or southern Indiana. I did use the RAT menu (*#2263#) to force to N71SA but I kept getting this: (Also, the samsung band selector app doesn't seem to work for any NR bands, it does great for LTE though. For example I only enabled B2, B66 LTE and N41 in the app to search for N41 but still kept getting N71. RAT menu works for now. Hopefully they can get that working through the app too since its faster to do it that way. 

xyDWOf6l.jpg

Same spot with everything enabled:

RGonEh9l.jpg

Hey I just tried that code and what do you think i should try and set my s20 plus on t mobile too? I'm in Colorado.

3 minutes ago, jthawks said:

T mo brags about band71 with its great for penetrating building's and yet it's worse than than 3g. Now I'm not often on band 71 or band 12 but I except it to work when I am.  

Yep, I am still on Sprint, but I do have a T-Mobile phone to play with.  I find t-Mobile service was much worse than Sprint service in the places I traveled in the last month or two.   The T-Mobile network just does not have enough sites and therefor band 2, 4, & 66 just can not cover much of their territory.  Since those bands quite often fail to provide the service, the band 12 and band 71 have to do the lifting.  Those two bands are ave available to latch onto, but they are always totally  congested.

T-Mobile desperately needed the Spectrum owned by Sprint and also the additional cell sites that Sprint had. Even with that, they STILL need to add more NEW sites.   T-Mobile was a marketing powerhouse. People believed what T-Mobile put out.  However, it was a bunch of hype and the service was not nearly as good as claimed. They got away with this for a long time, but without more spectrum they were slowing going to have big issues. 

They do have  a chance to fix this if they ever get the Sprint and T-Mobile networks combined correctly. That remains to be seen.

Before anybody jumps all over me for this post, I do agree that T-Mobile was fine in some areas.  It sure was not fine in a bunch of other areas.  Band 71 did not fix it either. It helped, but did not really fix the issues in many places.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

16 minutes ago, chamb said:

Yep, I am still on Sprint, but I do have a T-Mobile phone to play with.  I find t-Mobile service was much worse than Sprint service in the places I traveled in the last month or two.   The T-Mobile network just does not have enough sites and therefor band 2, 4, & 66 just can not cover much of their territory.  Since those bands quite often fail to provide the service, the band 12 and band 71 have to do the lifting.  Those two bands are ave available to latch onto, but they are always totally  congested.

T-Mobile desperately needed the Spectrum owned by Sprint and also the additional cell sites that Sprint had. Even with that, they STILL need to add more NEW sites.   T-Mobile was a marketing powerhouse. People believed what T-Mobile put out.  However, it was a bunch of hype and the service was not nearly as good as claimed. They got away with this for a long time, but without more spectrum they were slowing going to have big issues. 

They do have  a chance to fix this if they ever get the Sprint and T-Mobile networks combined correctly. That remains to be seen.

Before anybody jumps all over me for this post, I do agree that T-Mobile was fine in some areas.  It sure was not fine in a bunch of other areas.  Band 71 did not fix it either. It helped, but did not really fix the issues in many places.

I was with sprint for 12 plus years and switched to t mo about a year ago cause going on my girlfriend's plan with now 4 lines was cheaper than what I had with sprint.  

I couldn't agree more with you about the areas I frequent with sprint was and is better than t mobile when I switched.  

But I see alot of sprint sites that will be prefect for t mo taking over.  I sure hope they do.  

You are also correct on band 71 not fixing the gaps.  

6 hours ago, chamb said:

6 hours ago, jthawks said:

I couldn't agree more with you about the areas I frequent with sprint was and is better than t mobile when I switched.  

But I see alot of sprint sites that will be prefect for t mo taking over.  I sure hope they do.  

You are also correct on band 71 not fixing the gaps.  

I agree as well for the most part. In the last month, I have noticed it getting a tiny bit better but still feel Sprint was better in a lot of the areas I go to. One thing for certain, I am surely going to miss the chat feature on Sprint. Rarely ever need to go to the store or call for an issue. Always resolved via chat. T-Mobile forces you to go to the store or call. 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, twospirits said:

I agree as well for the most part. In the last month, I have noticed it getting a tiny bit better but still feel Sprint was better in a lot of the areas I go to. One thing for certain, I am surely going to miss the chat feature on Sprint. Rarely ever need to go to the store or call for an issue. Always resolved via chat. T-Mobile forces you to go to the store or call. 

Actually I do the chat with them and they usually get it resolved.  But every case is different.  Well finally band 71 at Denver international Airport is working

1 hour ago, jthawks said:

Actually I do the chat with them and they usually get it resolved.  But every case is different.  Well finally band 71 at Denver international Airport is working

Glad I still have Sprint then for my Denver visit this weekend ha. 

I finally experienced SA N71 earlier for the first time. Caught it just outside of Louisville headed back into town, I was able to force my phone to SA N71 only and held it until I got to my office. I set everything back to enabled when I went into my office so I could use our CellSpot. On my way home I forced SA N71 again but never connected to it. The MM5G update line always says "Roaming not allowed". I passed several N71 towers on my way home and cycled both airplane mode and toggling between everything enabled and just SA N71 with no luck. I wonder if they are still testing and configuring the core or something. aba942cb9674ea367aa6a014e797732c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I finally experienced SA N71 earlier for the first time. Caught it just outside of Louisville headed back into town, I was able to force my phone to SA N71 only and held it until I got to my office. I set everything back to enabled when I went into my office so I could use our CellSpot. On my way home I forced SA N71 again but never connected to it. The MM5G update line always says "Roaming not allowed". I passed several N71 towers on my way home and cycled both airplane mode and toggling between everything enabled and just SA N71 with no luck. I wonder if they are still testing and configuring the core or something. aba942cb9674ea367aa6a014e797732c.jpg

And its back up today. Speeds seem good for 10x10. I did test calling, I was able to get my phone to ring while on SA N71 but no audio passed either way. b3ce95923c609ba0c66d2d68793a50bc.jpg43881c37975cd804e2f5f3e9a2f07eff.jpg8380493688a5fa483c6dd86dc49d987f.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mdob07 said:

And its back up today. Speeds seem good for 10x10. I did test calling, I was able to get my phone to ring while on SA N71 but no audio passed either way.

And... its gone again. Back to no connection with the roaming not allowed message. WTF. 

On 8/5/2020 at 5:43 PM, twospirits said:

The only time I've ever been forced to go to the store was to prove my identity for a transaction I was making - I have almost always been able to get any issues or account changes resolved via Twitter messaging with @TMobileHelp or via the chat in the T-Mobile app.

• Like 1

I've now noticed three T-Mobile sites around me that I believe to now have 2.5 GHz antennas.  I've seen plenty more that don't appear to have been upgraded yet, though, so I won't suggest my area is where they're aggressively upgrading.

The first time I spotted one, I posted pictures:  https://imgur.com/a/kD5lUkr

- Trip

1 minute ago, Trip said:

I've now noticed three T-Mobile sites around me that I believe to now have 2.5 GHz antennas.  I've seen plenty more that don't appear to have been upgraded yet, though, so I won't suggest my area is where they're aggressively upgrading.

The first time I spotted one, I posted pictures:  https://imgur.com/a/kD5lUkr

- Trip

What market?  I'm in Colorado and I believe I've seen sites like that but don't think 2.5 is on. 

26 minutes ago, dewbertdc said:

Have you seen any permits for these sites?  I've noticed a few in DC that seem to be upgraded without having had permits pulled with DCRA.

No, I haven't, and I'm not clear why that is.  I was tempted to contact the Fairfax County permitting people to ask about it, but haven't felt like making the effort yet.

- Trip

6 minutes ago, Trip said:

No, I haven't, and I'm not clear why that is.  I was tempted to contact the Fairfax County permitting people to ask about it, but haven't felt like making the effort yet.

- Trip

*nods* I hope T-Mobile isn't working in an "Act Now, Apologize Later" mode... I could see that biting them in the you-know-what.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, jthawks said:

What market?  I'm in Colorado and I believe I've seen sites like that but don't think 2.5 is on. 

I'm fairly certain I saw a T-Mobile site with the N41 antennas added near 6th and I-25. Unfortunately couldn't really stop to take a closer look. Still have a device locked to the Sprint network so couldn't tell what signal was there.

I'm fairly certain I saw a T-Mobile site with the N41 antennas added near 6th and I-25. Unfortunately couldn't really stop to take a closer look. Still have a device locked to the Sprint network so couldn't tell what signal was there.
T-Mo has been adding the N41 panels to their sites in Phoenix the past couple of weeks. I would imagine they will be either stealing a couple of the Sprint carriers or killing my MB relay channel soon. I think they have enough bandwidth here to keep it all running for now though. We will see, I'm on Sprint and I'm connected to B41 90% of the time outdoors. To lose that would suck to say the least.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Dkoellerwx said:

I will have to check it out.  I've seen sites with a long skinny antenna next to two other's.  I'll to and get pics.  Wondering what the new 2.5 antenna look like. I did get an update on my phone for 5g nr. Oh wait or was out standalone? Long day yesterday.  

Ok so I'm trying to understand all this 5g nr, 5g standalone and band nr41, nr71. I did the code 2263 to where I can change band settings and do on. Here is a screen shot of the nr5g band priority. Should I mess with these? 89bfde9d9b5442a6e34adf93e1dd331f.jpg

PC's for People, Calyx and other EBS reseller subscribers are telling me they have lost the public IP address; that was the benefit of the routable APN. Mostly over the last few weeks and they will not be getting it back.

If you have the option to add a public IP to your device plan and you find this service valuable I recommend you do so quickly. T-Mobile's availability of routable addresses is mostly limited to business plans and the pricing is downright outrageous.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, jthawks said:

I will have to check it out.  I've seen sites with a long skinny antenna next to two other's.  I'll to and get pics.  Wondering what the new 2.5 antenna look like. I did get an update on my phone for 5g nr. Oh wait or was out standalone? Long day yesterday.  

The N41 antennas are small squares. There are few examples posted, but I'm not sure where at the moment. I'll link back to them if I come across them.