lilotimz

T-Mobile LTE & Network Discussion V2

13 hours ago, chamb said:

How does 5G fix the band 41 upload issue???  I have to see that.  The only way I can fix it is turn off Band 41. Maybe moving to another carrier where there is no band 41 would fix the issue too.   At Sprint, 5G uses band 41 for both 4G and 5G.  So 5G on Sprint probably has the same issue. Poor upload. 

Maybe MIMO on 5G helps, but the phones just can not transmit a strong enough signal on band 41.

TDD-NR supports flex timeslots which LTE does not. In LTE, timeslots were either DL-only or UL-only, and Sprint allocated a majority of them to DL. NR allows timeslots to be dynamically allocated to DL or UL in real time. If upload is in high demand, the entire airlink can be used for uploading, and vice versa for downloading. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, dkyeager said:

5G could fix the upload issue once it is standalone, since the full channel width will be used for upload (three times faster @ 60MHz plus 5g speed boost). 

NSA ULCA can also fix this. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, chamb said:

How does 5G fix the band 41 upload issue???  I have to see that.  The only way I can fix it is turn off Band 41. Maybe moving to another carrier where there is no band 41 would fix the issue too.   At Sprint, 5G uses band 41 for both 4G and 5G.  So 5G on Sprint probably has the same issue. Poor upload. 

Maybe MIMO on 5G helps, but the phones just can not transmit a strong enough signal on band 41.

Gotta disagree with you there.. 

5G has given me pretty solid and consistent upload speeds, at the very worse Ill see between 3 and 5mbs with very little signal and 15-30mbs on a strong signal.

Y5QGrzt.png

• Like 3

T-Mobile's 600MHz 5G network in action.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Enjoyed hearing about 5G.    Couldn't care less about the car.    

• Like 1

On 12/4/2019 at 12:55 AM, nexgencpu said:

Gotta disagree with you there.. 

5G has given me pretty solid and consistent upload speeds, at the very worse Ill see between 3 and 5mbs with very little signal and 15-30mbs on a strong signal.

Y5QGrzt.png

All those speeds are at 2:30 AM from the same date. Very anecdotal data. 

2 hours ago, greenbastard said:

All those speeds are at 2:30 AM from the same date. Very anecdotal data. 

2:30am or 2:30pm has very little effect on uploads, most of the time only the peak speeds are affected by off peak vs peak times.

They are almost always stable.

http://imgur.com/gallery/B1LjEuW

• Like 1

On 12/6/2019 at 5:35 PM, nexgencpu said:

2:30am or 2:30pm has very little effect on uploads, most of the time only the peak speeds are affected by off peak vs peak times.

They are almost always stable.

http://imgur.com/gallery/B1LjEuW

My speeds during the day beg to differ. On T-Mobile, I can get 15-25 Mbps upload during the day.

Past midnight, it peaks over 50 Mbps.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, greenbastard said:

My speeds during the day beg to differ. On T-Mobile, I can get 15-25 Mbps upload during the day.

Past midnight, it peaks over 50 Mbps.

Sprint 5G upload is on 2.5 which realistically is gonna cover less people than most of TMobile's bands. 

My main point is to illustrate how much more stable 5G uploads are against Sprint current TDD config on LTE.

15 hours ago, nexgencpu said:

Sprint 5G upload is on 2.5 which realistically is gonna cover less people than most of TMobile's bands. 

My main point is to illustrate how much more stable 5G uploads are against Sprint current TDD config on LTE.

Like I said, anecdotal. All of those speeds tests where done in the span of 10 minutes past midnight, in (which is safe to assume) the same location and with extremely great signal strength/LOS.

The problem with upload speeds in the 2.5 Ghz band is that the UL speeds dramatically fall off whenever you move away from the tower. Good speeds are possible, but on a few select areas near towers.

54 minutes ago, greenbastard said:

Like I said, anecdotal. All of those speeds tests where done in the span of 10 minutes past midnight, in (which is safe to assume) the same location and with extremely great signal strength/LOS.

But he posted a second screenshot that showed that his upload speeds were consistently around 20Mbps no matter the time of day while his download speeds fluctuated a lot more.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, greenbastard said:

The problem with upload speeds in the 2.5 Ghz band is that the UL speeds dramatically fall off whenever you move away from the tower. Good speeds are possible, but on a few select areas near towers.

You obviously didn't see my second screen shot. Also M-MIMO has been great with cell edge performance especially on uploads.

• Like 1

So I've noticed that my Speed Test app always seems to show faster speeds than what I'm actually getting. Just now Speed Test showed I was getting 14Mbps down. OpenSignal and Root Metrics were showing 4Mbps and 5Mbps respectively. My Twitter, reddit and Safari apps are running like I'm on a 5Mbps connection. Just this past weekend in Chicago, Speed Test was saying I was getting 5Mbps. OpenSignal and RootMetrics were showing <1Mbps and 1Mbps respectively and my apps were running like they would on a 1Mbps connection. Has anyone else noticed this? I wouldn't be surprised if they were prioritizing speed test connections.  

1 hour ago, Brad The Beast said:

So I've noticed that my Speed Test app always seems to show faster speeds than what I'm actually getting. Just now Speed Test showed I was getting 14Mbps down. OpenSignal and Root Metrics were showing 4Mbps and 5Mbps respectively. My Twitter, reddit and Safari apps are running like I'm on a 5Mbps connection. Just this past weekend in Chicago, Speed Test was saying I was getting 5Mbps. OpenSignal and RootMetrics were showing <1Mbps and 1Mbps respectively and my apps were running like they would on a 1Mbps connection. Has anyone else noticed this? I wouldn't be surprised if they were prioritizing speed test connections.  

No, its because Speedtest has considerably more servers to ping (meaning less hops and closer in proximity) from than any of those other servers you mentioned. Typically, the fastest speed would be considered the most accurate. 

• Like 3

When it comes to multithreaded routers with PCs operating faster than 200Mbps, Speedtest dramatically under reports.  DSLreports.com/speedtest is much more accurate in that enviroment.  In the past T-Mobile was caught by the FCC giving higher priority to speed tests iirc. Journalists have taken to random movie download times to test 5g.

5 hours ago, Brad The Beast said:

The ISPs and Carriers have been setting up Speedtests on their private networks which gives inaccurate internet results. Select an outside speedtest location and the speeds generally always drop. IMO their interconnects are the bottlenecks. A few tests from other ISPs have found faster speeds to the same speedtest sites. Traceroute has shown fairly direct routes in some cases, convoluted routes in other cases.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, dkyeager said:

The ISPs and Carriers have been setting up Speedtests on their private networks which gives inaccurate internet results. Select an outside speedtest location and the speeds generally always drop. IMO their interconnects are the bottlenecks. A few tests from other ISPs have found faster speeds to the same speedtest sites. Traceroute has shown fairly direct routes in some cases, convoluted routes in other cases.

I always make sure to pick a non-carrier provided server. I usually use the same one every time that provides the fastest results. 

3 hours ago, Brad The Beast said:

I always make sure to pick a non-carrier provided server. I usually use the same one every time that provides the fastest results. 

If you are testing the site (or the modem etc for a home/office ISP), then a carrier provided speed test might be best. Multithreaded routers being the exception in many cases.