T-Mobile LTE & Network Discussion V2

lilotimz

How long will band 12,(5×5mhz)band 4(20×20mhz, band 2(20×20mhz) aggregated.. before t mobile runs into congestion(is it even possible to have congestion with that much spectrum dedicated to lte

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

You'd have to shutdown all EDGE and everything else and be totally LTE before you get to that amount of deployment. 

How long will band 12,(5×5mhz)band 4(20×20mhz, band 2(20×20mhz) aggregated.. before t mobile runs into congestion(is it even possible to have congestion with that much spectrum dedicated to lte

It's possibe to hit congestion with that much. Verizon had to deploy a 10x10 block of band 2 to support the 20x20 band 4 and 10x10 band 13 blocks in NYC. It depends on the specific market we're talking about and the kind of data use in it. Of course NYC could be bogged to hell even with 80MHz of LTE live, but in smaller markets like Pittsburgh, it would be harder to hit congestion unless there's a convention or parade there.

It's possibe to hit congestion with that much. Verizon had to deploy a 10x10 block of band 2 to support the 20x20 band 4 and 10x10 band 13 blocks in NYC. It depends on the specific market we're talking about and the kind of data use in it. Of course NYC could be bogged to hell even with 80MHz of LTE live, but in smaller markets like Pittsburgh, it would be harder to hit congestion unless there's a convention or parade there.

It's 15x15 Band 2.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

You'd have to shutdown all EDGE and everything else and be totally LTE before you get to that amount of deployment.

What would be the the first amount deployed.. t mobile swapped pcs 20×20mhz with sprint here In El paso.. the transaction cleared last month

Im in El paso 803 thousand population not close to NYC

Im in El paso 803 thousand population not close to NYC

So long as there's fiber optic backhaul and a reasonably dense network then, you probably won't ever see it get congested unless everyone and their mother switches in flocks.

So long as there's fiber optic backhaul and a reasonably dense network then, you probably won't ever see it get congested unless everyone and their mother switches in flocks.

See that's the thing. The market manager said " they are number in market share here " how big that is idk, but it's seems to wear down the network

See that's the thing. The market manager said " they are number in market share here " how big that is idk, but it's seems to wear down the network

Then it's the amount of data each individual sub consumes that's slowly bringing down the network. As streaming gets bigger, congestion becomes more of a problem.

Then it's the amount of data each individual sub consumes that's slowly bringing down the network. As streaming gets bigger, congestion becomes more of a problem.

Ya, it makes sense! Learning more and more everyday. So, when demand is that hight , it becomes hard to controlled congestion

Ya, it makes sense! Learning more and more everyday. So, when demand is that hight , it becomes hard to controlled congestion

there is only so much spectrum to use

Apparently T-mobile thinks they will have coverage on par with Verizon within the next 12 months. Possibly sooner. http://www.cnet.com/news/t-mobile-vows-to-match-verizons-coverage-in-next-12-months/#ftag=CAD590a51e

I don't know how they plan to add rural coverage in the west...Wyoming has no T-Mobile coverage at all except Casper, Nevada, Utah and Oregon are mostly dead as well (except the highways and large cities), Montana is 95% uncovered and T-Mobile is also lagging behind Verizon in Iowa, Nebraska, West Virginia and Maine...but I don't underestimate Neville Ray's ability to get things done fast. No one thought T-Mobile would achieve their 2015 LTE projections but they managed to beat them. It will be interesting to see how things unfold.

• Like 2

I kind of feel like they are more focused on quantity over quality in this whole expansion to meet verizon thing. Now I don’t use t-mobile but from what I hear their coverage where they are expanding to tends to be not the greatest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

VZW's response is 100% correct. Talk is cheap and there is no way I can see T-Mobile adding 1 Million square miles of coverage and having the density of VZW in those areas by year end.

T-Mobile is definitely playing a numbers game where they think that by advertising that they're only a few million POP's behind VZW that people will be in awe but in reality (at least what I've seen from places like Reddit) people are quick to realize that T-Mobile's coverage is often like swiss cheese in these areas.

Even if they do come close to the goal, VZW will still have them beat in nearly every network metric in those areas making the expansion damn near pointless and only for bragging rights.

• Like 3

I don't know how they plan to add rural coverage in the west...Wyoming has no T-Mobile coverage at all except Casper, Nevada, Utah and Oregon are mostly dead as well (except the highways and large cities), Montana is 95% uncovered and T-Mobile is also lagging behind Verizon in Iowa, Nebraska, West Virginia and Maine...but I don't underestimate Neville Ray's ability to get things done fast. No one thought T-Mobile would achieve their 2015 LTE projections but they managed to beat them. It will be interesting to see how things unfold.

Agreed that there were a lot of doubters here but as time progressed I think what did prove to be right about our assumptions was that although they did expand, a number of these areas had really poor coverage and still do a year later.

• Like 1

T-Mobile is also lagging behind Verizon in Iowa, Nebraska,

Iowa is an interesting situation given the iWireless. As is Nebraska given that they've historically run a protection network here. Omaha and Lincoln are seeing mass T-Mobile building permits filed that would seem to indicate a full build out for both cities fairly soon.

• Like 1

Islands of coverage surrounded by roaming or no service probably helps roaming costs, but does little to convince people who actually live in or frequently visit those areas to switch.

My understanding is that T-Mobile is primarily doing this expansion in areas where they own B12.  In places where B12 isn't available, they're not building much.  I've been in touch with my friend at T-Mobile and sent along some recommendations on places to co-locate now that they're getting 700 in the places I need to go.  We'll see what happens.

- Trip

• Like 1

How is T-Mobile's VOLTE service? I'm switching to them once the iPhone 7 comes out. I'm kind of nervous because I haven't had T-Mobile since the sidekick 3 lol

Going to miss having Sprint. I will switch back once they have VoLTE deployed

• Like 1

How is T-Mobile's VOLTE service? I'm switching to them once the iPhone 7 comes out. I'm kind of nervous because I haven't had T-Mobile since the sidekick 3 lol

Going to miss having Sprint. I will switch back once they have VoLTE deployed

Why the switch if you don't mind me asking?

Sent from my iPhone 6s+ using Tapatalk

Why the switch if you don't mind me asking?

Sent from my iPhone 6s+ using Tapatalk

With my new job, I'm always on calls on the go and having the ability to do voice and data at the same time is a need for me. I honestly don't want to switch but Sprint hasn't announced any plans for VoLTE.

I'm assuming it will be available once markets are dense but we don't know how long that will be

• Like 2

With my new job, I'm always on calls on the go and having the ability to do voice and data at the same time is a need for me. I honestly don't want to switch but Sprint hasn't announced any plans for VoLTE.

I'm assuming it will be available once markets are dense but we don't know how long that will be

I've been needing voice and data more lately. Luckily I have an AT&T work line. I've also been considering T-Mobile for my personal line. Only it's cheaper for me to stay with Sprint and I barely get service in my home with T-Mobile. I have one of their Cell spot wifi routers for service inside my home.

Are you going with the unlimited plan or one of the metered plans with binge on?

I've almost exclusively switched to hangouts and it has worked pretty well.
  • Like 1

My sanity came back when I switched. I have never seen 3g since the day I switched and I could actually hear the person on the other end of the call. Plus, my price is 2/3 of sprint's plan which is nice.
  • Like 2