T-Mobile LTE & Network Discussion V2

lilotimz

You can see a nice map at: http://www.spectrumgateway.com/t-mobile-700a-spectrum

Owned spectrum is in pink, pending transactions with FCC are in gold. They won't be finalized until after quiet period due to 600 auction, but T-Mobile filed for concurrent leases, so they can use the spectrum until FCC formally ok's it.

That's an interesting map. It's no wonder why it seems like the general sentiment about T-Mobile in the Midwest doesn't match the enthusiasm about them elsewhere in the Country.

Incorrect. The FCC will approve the transaction within the next few weeks and only then can T-Mobile actually use the spectrum. Concurrent operations agreements are for handing television stations which broadcast adjacent to the A block downlink.

I said nothing about concurrent operations agreements. Concurrent: adj. existing, happening, or done at the same time. T-Mobile filed for leases and also transfer of ownership at the same time. T-Mobile will be able to use the licenses now, instead of waiting for the FCC to finalize the transactions. If that process was only to take a few weeks, I doubt they would have bothered.

I'm not sure that the FCC will be approving transfers of spectrum during the 600 quiet period, although that may only extend to the broadcast spectrum, I'm not so sure they'll be approving transfers of spectrum currently encumbered by the auction.

That's an interesting map. It's no wonder why it seems like the general sentiment about T-Mobile in the Midwest doesn't match the enthusiasm about them elsewhere in the Country.

Unfortunately, US Cellular exists. I'm sure T-Mobile will be going hard there in the 600 auction.

Wow. So pretty much with all the buying T-Mobile has been doing with 700, it's pretty much nationwide?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's a big improvement and will be welcome to millions of customers. However, Tmo still will have no 700 in Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Louis, Des Moines, Omaha, as well as everywhere US Cellular, C-Spire and Commnet hold licenses (and they are using them). Also Wyoming (Union Wireless) and 3/4 of Montana. And don't forget the millions still affected by remaining Ch. 51 exclusion zones.

Using Tapatalk on Note 8.0

• Like 1

It's a big improvement and will be welcome to millions of customers. However, Tmo still will have no 700 in Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Louis, Des Moines, Omaha, as well as everywhere US Cellular, C-Spire and Commnet hold licenses (and they are using them). Also Wyoming (Union Wireless) and 3/4 of Montana. And don't forget the millions still affected by remaining Ch. 51 exclusion zones.

These will likely be markets that T-Mobile plan on covering with the 600Mhz licenses.

• Like 1

Gotcha. Thanks for that info!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

However, Tmo still will have no 700 in Chicago...

T-Mobile is the natural buyer of the spectrum, it's just a matter of time.

Laser is forced to sell it, and AT&T can't buy or use it. Verizon doesn't have or want A-block holdings. It wouldn't make sense for Sprint to buy it. USCellular doesn't want to roll out coverage in Chicago (they sold their other market holdings previously).

T-Mobile officially purchasing all of the 700 A-block spectrum held by Continuum and Cavalier, as filed with FCC.

Wow. So pretty much with all the buying T-Mobile has been doing with 700, it's pretty much nationwide?

Not really nationwide.  But it is getting there.

However, what is the purchase price?  I bet the spectrum holding companies are making a nice profit.

T-Mobile, if you want to be the pied piper, you have to pay the piper.  Or, more accurately, pay to be the piper.

And will these Lower 700 MHz expenditures affect participation in the problematic 600 MHz auction?

AJ

You can see a nice map at: http://www.spectrumgateway.com/t-mobile-700a-spectrum

Owned spectrum is in pink, pending transactions with FCC are in gold. They won't be finalized until after quiet period due to 600 auction, but T-Mobile filed for concurrent leases, so they can use the spectrum until FCC formally ok's it.

Map links are inconclusive.

Do you have a link covering this news. Officially!

FierceWireless, Wall Street Journal, etc

Not really nationwide. But it is getting there.

However, what is the purchase price? I bet the spectrum holding companies are making a nice profit.

T-Mobile, if you want to be the pied piper, you have to pay the piper. Or, more accurately, pay to be the piper.

And will these Lower 700 MHz expenditures affect participation in the problematic 600 MHz auction?

AJ

Was just thinking Tmo would rather buy 700 as 600 will prolly get real expensive and 700 can be deployed faster..

With all the people jumping in 600 I don't see Tmo leaving with much.

Unfortunately, US Cellular exists. I'm sure T-Mobile will be going hard there in the 600 auction.

iWireless also complicates the issue in some parts.

Since this is both T-Mobile related and Samsung Galaxy S7 related, I'll post this in both forum sections, not trying to violate double posting policies, but this is information I think is relevant for both areas.

I pre-ordered the Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge through T-Mobile Executive Relations, whom were able to give me the Jump On Demand program for it. The important aspect to this I've read a lot of questions about online, which I thought would be important to mention here, is that the Gear VR and free year of Netflix is included with Jump On Demand, making it a very good deal!

• Like 2

Not really nationwide.  But it is getting there.

However, what is the purchase price?  I bet the spectrum holding companies are making a nice profit.

T-Mobile, if you want to be the pied piper, you have to pay the piper.  Or, more accurately, pay to be the piper.

AJ

To a degree.  Say it costs 20% more to overlay additional cells with PCS and AWS vs. deploying 700 for coverage.  At the end of the day, that's all the spectrum is worth.  Given that T-Mobile is the only natural buyer at this point, the price of 700 is effectively capped.

So, they sell and move on.

As for 600, with sprint out, you know exactly how that's going to go.

• Like 1

As for 600, with sprint out, you know exactly how that's going to go.

We do?  We know how the complicated 600 MHz incentive auction is going to play out?  I think that it has the prospects to and hope that it does fail spectacularly.  We just are throwing way too much spectrum at a problem in the hopes that the free market will solve it.  I have been saying that for years.  And if the auction does produce little more than a whimper, I may never stop laughing.

AJ

• Like 1

We do?  We know how the complicated 600 MHz incentive auction is going to play out?  I think that it has the prospects to and hope that it does fail spectacularly.  We just are throwing way too much spectrum at a problem in the hopes that the free market will solve it.  I have been saying that for years.  And if the auction does produce little more than a whimper, I may never stop laughing.

AJ

I very much agree with you that we should lease spectrum like Japan does.

A wildcard could be Comcast or dish but I can't imagine that tmob isn't going to talk away with a fairly large chunk covering the majority of the US. At a minimum, anywhere they can't get 700 now, they will have to buy 600.

At any rate, should be interesting to watch.

I very much agree with you that we should lease spectrum like Japan does.

A wildcard could be Comcast or dish but I can't imagine that tmob isn't going to talk away with a fairly large chunk covering the majority of the US. At a minimum, anywhere they can't get 700 now, they will have to buy 600.

At any rate, should be interesting to watch.

I was under the impression that T-Mo's C team said they would focus on non 700A areas for 600 purchase, not overlap, correct?

That too with a limited purse should be interesting to see. Pricing will be key.

The profits the Feds have thought they were getting ($50 bil) have already halved. What a crash of auction values would do is play into T-Mobile's hands. They might be able to get 600 MHz for cheaper than they sought out in the first place.

I don't think the spectrum auction will fail altogether. What it may bring is regret on Sprint's end, especially if vales crash.

What some define as "failure" I would define as "be careful what you wish for".

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I still don't understand why sprint isn't at least entering.. However I suppose by the time they get done densifying it will be 2020 and 600 will be coming onboard so smart move short term for sprint.

But what's gonna happen with 800? It creeps around here at -92.

If they do densify like they say is it worth keeping 800?

I still don't understand why sprint isn't at least entering.. However I suppose by the time they get done densifying it will be 2020 and 600 will be coming onboard so smart move short term for sprint.

But what's gonna happen with 800? It creeps around here at -92.

If they do densify like they say is it worth keeping 800?

I don't see why sprint wouldn't want 800. It would be like a backup band. Ideally most traffic should be over 1900 and 2500.

I don't see why sprint wouldn't want 800. It would be like a backup band. Ideally most traffic should be over 1900 and 2500.

They have so little of 800 it can't handle much traffic. Once they have added all the macro, mini macro and small cells 1900/2500 should hopefully eliminate the need for 800. Unless someone wants to sell them more of 800, idk who that would be. Maybe Verizon trades 800 for some 2500? After they acquire 600?

They have so little of 800 it can't handle much traffic. Once they have added all the macro, mini macro and small cells 1900/2500 should hopefully eliminate the need for 800. Unless someone wants to sell them more of 800, idk who that would be. Maybe Verizon trades 800 for some 2500? After they acquire 600?

Verizon won't let the cellular band leave its hands.

I am so glad that Tmobile was able to snatch up all the Cavalier and Continuum 700 block licenses since they badly needed it.  Now they just need to get the Chicago license from Laser, Inc.  I wonder how long it is going to take for Tmobile to negotiate with the TV stations to relocate all those areas that currently have interference.  Hopefully by the end of 2016.  

I am curious to see how these acquisitions affect their 600 MHz plans.  I think it helps relieve some pressure to having to spend a ton of money on 600 MHz and purchase at the very minimum markets that they were not able to acquire 700 MHz and probably a sliver of the top 20 markets.

I am so glad that Tmobile was able to snatch up all the Cavalier and Continuum 700 block licenses since they badly needed it. Now they just need to get the Chicago license from Laser, Inc. I wonder how long it is going to take for Tmobile to negotiate with the TV stations to relocate all those areas that currently have interference. Hopefully by the end of 2016.

I am curious to see how these acquisitions affect their 600 MHz plans. I think it helps relieve some pressure to having to spend a ton of money on 600 MHz and purchase at the very minimum markets that they were not able to acquire 700 MHz and probably a sliver of the top 20 markets.

I heard that Laser has already reached an agreement with Fox over that issue. So when T-Mobile gets the spectrum it should be usable right away.