T-Mobile LTE & Network Discussion V2

lilotimz

Whoa. The unlimited plan INCLUDES 14GB of Mobile HotSpot? :o

Gotta admit, that's really tempting. Especially with the global data stuff. I may end up in China and the Philippines next month for work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gotta admit, that's really tempting. Especially with the global data stuff. I may end up in China and the Philippines next month for work.

I just couldn't switch off to either Sprint or T-Mobile where I live. Sprint because there is simply no coverage in my small backwater town, and T-Mobile due to the lack of low band in St. Louis. I know I don't chime in much anymore here, but I think that my own low perception of T-Mobile all along might have been influenced by lack of low band on their part here. Now granted, it isn't all their fault, some of it probably lies on USCC holding the 700 A license in St. Louis and Southern Illinois in what I would describe as a marginal matter, but I'd also say that maybe T-Mobile should just offer the right price and get it over with.

It really is. In my neck of the woods sprint and T-Mobile are equal. I may stop into a store and check it out and that by one get one 50% off and trade in my iPhone 6s which I'm sure will pay off that device that's 50% off.

The only question at this point from me would be:

Throttling still appears apply at the 23gb limit.  Does the 14gb of mobile hotspot count against that 23gb limit?

It was bumped up to 25GB and yes the hotspot usage counts towards that "soft limit."

• Like 1

I just couldn't switch off to either Sprint or T-Mobile where I live. Sprint because there is simply no coverage in my small backwater town, and T-Mobile due to the lack of low band in St. Louis. I know I don't chime in much anymore here, but I think that my own low perception of T-Mobile all along might have been influenced by lack of low band on their part here. Now granted, it isn't all their fault, some of it probably lies on USCC holding the 700 A license in St. Louis and Southern Illinois in what I would describe as a marginal matter, but I'd also say that maybe T-Mobile should just offer the right price and get it over with.

Just wanted to point out, T-Mobile is absolutely fantastic here in Jacksonville, FL.  And they do not have lowband here either.  St Louis might be different but I'd definitely give T-Mobile a try and see how their coverage is.  You should be able to test their speeds on an unactivated sim.

• Like 1

Just wanted to point out, T-Mobile is absolutely fantastic here in Jacksonville, FL. And they do not have lowband here either. St Louis might be different but I'd definitely give T-Mobile a try and see how their coverage is. You should be able to test their speeds on an unactivated sim.

Considering that Fraydog lives in a GMO LTE area for T-Mobile they're probably not a good choice.

As far as T-Mobile in St. Louis and the metro goes, they're decent. It's been a while since I've had my prepaid SIM in, but last I checked they had just switched on 15x15 in AWS. The problem is they don't have any room capacity additions outside of PCS refarming and more cells (expensive). For now their network seems to be holding up, but I could see it becoming stressed very soon .

Just wanted to point out, T-Mobile is absolutely fantastic here in Jacksonville, FL.  And they do not have lowband here either.  St Louis might be different but I'd definitely give T-Mobile a try and see how their coverage is.  You should be able to test their speeds on an unactivated sim.

Fraydog has tried T-Mobile prepaid in his area, so he knows the ins and outs.

As for Jacksonville, it was like a year ago that S4GRU members were saying how great Sprint had become there.  Now, that is no longer true?  Well, the same can hold for T-Mobile.  Give it a year.

AJ

As for Jacksonville, it was like a year ago that S4GRU members were saying how great Sprint had become there. Now, that is no longer true? Well, the same can hold for T-Mobile. Give it a year.

AJ

They actually were becoming great but all of the sudden (around the time they started adding subs), their speeds tanked in my area. No word on B41 upgrades, I figured it was time to switch until Sprint gets upgrades rolling.

Sent from my Nexus 5X

• Like 1

Well I went to my local tmo store and I think I may give them a try. The plus is my current iPhone 6s will pay in full the second device I get that will be 50% off so that's cool. But I did ask him about the bingeOn and he told me that it for network management.

Their staff is very friendly and greeted me at the door with a handshake and introduced himself. It was a way different experience than when I go into a sprint store. But I did have to shut his shit down. He said our speeds are faster than sprint and I did a speed test. He pulled 40 up and I pulled 63 up. He asked if your faster why switch and I told him I just want to switch it up and trying something new for a change...no harm in doing so.

He started talking about the WiMAX fiasco and I told him sprints back was against the wall with that due to being a use it or lose it situation. But the guy told me he will wave my activation fees and also give me a additional $30 credit. So imma bite the bullet next week. He did also tell me that if I'm not satisfied with the network I can call into cs and tell them and they will unlocked my phone so I can take it anywhere I want but I'll still be on the hook for the $30 monthly payment. Now that's dope. So in my eyes I'm getting a free second phone and no risk of being trapped if I don't like them.

• Like 2

If I had to take a wild guess maybe investors aren't happy about the new unlimited promo.

They had a day high of $39 and settled at $35. Thats $4 drop.

Well I went to my local tmo store and I think I may give them a try. The plus is my current iPhone 6s will pay in full the second device I get that will be 50% off so that's cool. But I did ask him about the bingeOn and he told me that it for network management.

Their staff is very friendly and greeted me at the door with a handshake and introduced himself. It was a way different experience than when I go into a sprint store. But I did have to shut his shit down. He said our speeds are faster than sprint and I did a speed test. He pulled 40 up and I pulled 63 up. He asked if your faster why switch and I told him I just want to switch it up and trying something new for a change...no harm in doing so.

He started talking about the WiMAX fiasco and I told him sprints back was against the wall with that due to being a use it or lose it situation. But the guy told me he will wave my activation fees and also give me a additional $30 credit. So imma bite the bullet next week. He did also tell me that if I'm not satisfied with the network I can call into cs and tell them and they will unlocked my phone so I can take it anywhere I want but I'll still be on the hook for the $30 monthly payment. Now that's dope. So in my eyes I'm getting a free second phone and no risk of being trapped if I don't like them.

Keep us posted on the new service in your area.

Sent from my SM-N910T

Considering that Fraydog lives in a GMO LTE area for T-Mobile they're probably not a good choice.

As far as T-Mobile in St. Louis and the metro goes, they're decent. It's been a while since I've had my prepaid SIM in, but last I checked they had just switched on 15x15 in AWS. The problem is they don't have any room capacity additions outside of PCS refarming and more cells (expensive). For now their network seems to be holding up, but I could see it becoming stressed very soon .

tmobile went wide band 15+15 but they did some hspa+ refarm...and now have 20+20

tmobile went wide band 15+15 but they did some hspa+ refarm...and now have 20+20

No, T-Mobile went from 10x10 to 15x15 in AWS with the AWS HSPA shutdown. They only own 15MHz FDD of AWS in St. Louis and 15MHz FDD of PCS.

No, T-Mobile went from 10x10 to 15x15 in AWS with the AWS HSPA shutdown. They only own 15MHz FDD of total AWS in St. Louis and 15MHz FDD of PCS.

What's their aws holdings there

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk

I have been experimenting with Sprint and T-Mobile using Google's fi project. Both of them are OK but not great in the Melbourne, FL area. Both of them have low spectrum in the area so coverage is pretty decent at least outdoors. Sprint is a little worse than T-Mobile. But I what I have noticed is that both networks are 3-6db worse than AT&T at the same place and the same time. AT&T's signal is also more steady. It does not wildly swing between good and bad.

I have been experimenting with Sprint and T-Mobile using Google's fi project. Both of them are OK but not great in the Melbourne, FL area. Both of them have low spectrum in the area so coverage is pretty decent at least outdoors. Sprint is a little worse than T-Mobile. But I what I have noticed is that both networks are 3-6db worse than AT&T at the same place and the same time. AT&T's signal is also more steady. It does not wildly swing between good and bad.

Interesting you brought that up.

Through my experience just on one of the four major carriers devices have known to function or perform differently based on manufacturer and the technology of hardware in the radio chip. So I guess what I'm trying to say is if only Google's fi would allow far more devices on its project instead of Limit it to Nexus devices. I'm a firm believer in each device performing or performance in radio chip differs immensely.

Thanks for the feedback. Great info!

As for Jacksonville, it was like a year ago that S4GRU members were saying how great Sprint had become there. Now, that is no longer true? Well, the same can hold for T-Mobile. Give it a year.

AJ

I plugged the SIM into the Note 5, coverage did improve doing this, the main issue I ran into are the 20-30 mile pockets of no coverage to my east. I'd need coverage expansion to be able to switch my driver to it. My options are AT&T and Verizon, unfortunately.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Through my experience just on one of the four major carriers devices have known to function or perform differently based on manufacturer and the technology of hardware in the radio chip. So I guess what I'm trying to say is if only Google's fi would allow far more devices on its project instead of Limit it to Nexus devices. I'm a firm believer in each device performing or performance in radio chip differs immensely.

It is not a "radio chip" issue.  It is an antenna issue.  Some antenna designs perform better than others.  And some bands perform better than others.

AJ