T-Mobile LTE & Network Discussion V2

lilotimz

Tmo work spotted in South Dakota, even before they have closed on their 700MHz purchase. http://www.t4gru.com/index.php?/topic/104-Discovered:--1st-Western-South-Dakota-Expansion-Site

Using Nexus 6 on Tapatalk

I thought Ericsson is only on coasts for TMO?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought Ericsson is only on coasts for TMO?

You thought wrong. [emoji38]

Since it is a new market, Tmo was free to choose whom they want. It may have chosen this way because of work load or for logisitical reasons, but it is definitely Ericsson. But I was surprised myself.

If T4GRU develops more news content on the site, I may start visiting their more often. Despite my issues with the company, I do read news about it. Although, I get annoyed by the bias, particularly on TmoNews, which use to be more of a fair, less biased site until Cam took over. Along with the horrible ad placements, it isn't worth reading anymore, whereas other sites not only show bias, but try to attack Sprint in these non-Sprint related T-Mobile articles they have.

So again, if T4GRU develops as a strong T-Mobile news source, besides the forum, then that would be a great replacement for the other sites.

• Like 1

I went back to check gusherb's post, and am not sure if gusherb is referring to Sprint's network or T-Mobile's network. I'd agree about T-Mobile's network being plenty dense here in Chicago, as their main problem is severe lack of spectrum around here. Although Sprint needs more towers around here, as evidenced by the complaints of there being plenty of holes in their network around here.

The good news though, is that Sprint actively is upgrading their network here with more towers and fully developed LTE Advanced. Whereas T-Mobile is not doing anything to seek more spectrum here, other than removing 5x5 HSPA from AWS, replacing it with LTE, which as I've been told by some people here on S4GRU, won't do much good for areas where currently are hit hard in speeds with enough congestion to make LTE operate around 1mbps.

By the way, these are not throttled speeds. This is happening throughout a major portion of Schaumburg during the evenings through 5pm to around 11pm. So, while Chicago will be limited to 15x15 LTE, plenty of other markets much smaller than Chicago have 20x20 LTE on AWS and around 5x5 LTE on 700. Some areas have even more AWS LTE, 25x25 or more.

I went back to check gusherb's post, and am not sure if gusherb is referring to Sprint's network or T-Mobile's network. I'd agree about T-Mobile's network being plenty dense here in Chicago, as their main problem is severe lack of spectrum around here. Although Sprint needs more towers around here, as evidenced by the complaints of there being plenty of holes in their network around here.

The good news though, is that Sprint actively is upgrading their network here with more towers and fully developed LTE Advanced. Whereas T-Mobile is not doing anything to seek more spectrum here, other than removing 5x5 HSPA from AWS, replacing it with LTE, which as I've been told by some people here on S4GRU, won't do much good for areas where currently are hit hard in speeds with enough congestion to make LTE operate around 1mbps.

By the way, these are not throttled speeds. This is happening throughout a major portion of Schaumburg during the evenings through 5pm to around 11pm. So, while Chicago will be limited to 15x15 LTE, plenty of other markets much smaller than Chicago have 20x20 LTE on AWS and around 5x5 LTE on 700. Some areas have even more AWS LTE, 25x25 or more.

I'm referring to T-Mobile. Sprints network density is somewhere between AT&T and T-Mobile, but closer to AT&T's IMO.

• Like 1

I am sure Tmobile has been eyeing to snatch up the Chicago 700 MHz A-block from Leap (AT&T) but I am sure AT&T has been asking for a huge premium for that market.  There is only so much AWS spectrum swapping that Tmobile can do with the other major carriers.  I think at this point Tmobile needs to accumulate more spectrum, hence 700 MHz A-block market additions and 600 MHz auction.

I'm referring to T-Mobile. Sprints network density is somewhere between AT&T and T-Mobile, but closer to AT&T's IMO.

And this needs to change for Sprint.  Definitely send Network Issue reports everywhere there is a weak spot on the Sprint Zone app to get their attention.  I have certain areas which I know are weak and now I try to send Network Issue reports on the Sprint Zone app.  Whether that works or not ...who knows.  Hopefully it gets the attention of somebody.

• Like 1

I am sure Tmobile has been eyeing to snatch up the Chicago 700 MHz A-block from Leap (AT&T) but I am sure AT&T has been asking for a huge premium for that market. There is only so much AWS spectrum swapping that Tmobile can do with the other major carriers. I think at this point Tmobile needs to accumulate more spectrum, hence 700 MHz A-block market additions and 600 MHz auction.

At this point all the low hanging fruits are acquired. The remaining ones are legit users or squatters that are extremely emboldened by the aws auction and is demanding extortionate fees.

Tmobile may want 700mhz desperately but they will not pay hundreds of millions to every single squatter.

Sent from my Nexus 5

I am sure Tmobile has been eyeing to snatch up the Chicago 700 MHz A-block from Leap (AT&T) but I am sure AT&T has been asking for a huge premium for that market. There is only so much AWS spectrum swapping that Tmobile can do with the other major carriers. I think at this point Tmobile needs to accumulate more spectrum, hence 700 MHz A-block market additions and 600 MHz auction.

There's still small cells, gsm shutdown/refarming.

At this point all the low hanging fruits are acquired. The remaining ones are legit users or squatters that are extremely emboldened by the aws auction and is demanding extortionate fees.

Tmobile may want 700mhz desperately but they will not pay hundreds of millions to every single squatter.

Sent from my Nexus 5

Good thing the 700a buildout deadline is 1q2017 (I think).

I hope TMO waits it out to stick it to the speculators. They got millions of adds with no lowband anywhere; they'll be fine with ONLY 190mil lowband plus small cells.

I am sure Tmobile has been eyeing to snatch up the Chicago 700 MHz A-block from Leap (AT&T) but I am sure AT&T has been asking for a huge premium for that market.  There is only so much AWS spectrum swapping that Tmobile can do with the other major carriers.  I think at this point Tmobile needs to accumulate more spectrum, hence 700 MHz A-block market additions and 600 MHz auction.

And this needs to change for Sprint.  Definitely send Network Issue reports everywhere there is a weak spot on the Sprint Zone app to get their attention.  I have certain areas which I know are weak and now I try to send Network Issue reports on the Sprint Zone app.  Whether that works or not ...who knows.  Hopefully it gets the attention of somebody.

I do hope T-Mobile is looking into the 700 here from the AT&T/Leap/Cricket deal, as I've been supportive of in that since I heard of it. The frustrating thing is, I'm not hearing anything about it in the news, regarding T-Mobile trying for it. They are busy with their other projects elsewhere in the country, but it isn't good for them to be so far behind here. Sprint being so active in their network development, is much more assuring. Though Sprint definitely needs to get their tower density up as they are discussing, so those holes get fixed. One that happens and their 2.5 is widely and densely deployed, it'll be amazing! Already seeing it at 20mbps-40mbps in congested areas, even Schaumburg where and when T-Mobile could barely do 1mbps, was really promising of Sprint, on their 2.5, which seems to only be getting better.

On another thread here on S4GRU, a screenshot was shown on a link, where Sprint got nearly 100mbps. If/when I see it on my new Sprint service starting on Friday, I'll definitely post it. Even the slower tests too.

I do hope T-Mobile is looking into the 700 here from the AT&T/Leap/Cricket deal, as I've been supportive of in that since I heard of it. The frustrating thing is, I'm not hearing anything about it in the news, regarding T-Mobile trying for it. They are busy with their other projects elsewhere in the country, but it isn't good for them to be so far behind here. Sprint being so active in their network development, is much more assuring. Though Sprint definitely needs to get their tower density up as they are discussing, so those holes get fixed. One that happens and their 2.5 is widely and densely deployed, it'll be amazing! Already seeing it at 20mbps-40mbps in congested areas, even Schaumburg where and when T-Mobile could barely do 1mbps, was really promising of Sprint, on their 2.5, which seems to only be getting better.

On another thread here on S4GRU, a screenshot was shown on a link, where Sprint got nearly 100mbps. If/when I see it on my new Sprint service starting on Friday, I'll definitely post it. Even the slower tests too.

They need 700 here badly too, mainly for the deep in-building coverage of Chicago's heavy masonry structures. They seem to do ok with indoor coverage on AWS in the suburbs though.

Knowing them, they won't say anything til they have it. That way it'll seem like "poof", like Legere just raised his magic wand and made it so. lmao. (not a bad idea for Sprint to do from now on IMO)

• Like 1

They need 700 here badly too, mainly for the deep in-building coverage of Chicago's heavy masonry structures. They seem to do ok with indoor coverage on AWS in the suburbs though.

Knowing them, they won't say anything til they have it. That way it'll seem like "poof", like Legere just raised his magic wand and made it so. lmao. (not a bad idea for Sprint to do from now on IMO)

They won't say anything because they most likely won't have it. As I mentioned earlier, T-mobile has acquired basically all of the easy to pick low hanging fruits. 

The remaining ones are the cutthroat speculators who are not going to let go without making tmobile bleed dearly or legit users who tmobile can't really force to hand over the spectrum. Basically what T-mobile has now is the majority of what they can use for a while. 

Same type of squatters that Sprint had to litigate into submission and it doesn't help that the AWS-3 auction prices emboldened them. 

• Like 1

They won't say anything because they most likely won't have it. As I mentioned earlier, T-mobile has acquired basically all of the easy to pick low hanging fruits. 

The remaining ones are the cutthroat speculators who are not going to let go without making tmobile bleed dearly or legit users who tmobile can't really force to hand over the spectrum. Basically what T-mobile has now is the majority of what they can use for a while. 

Same type of squatters that Sprint had to litigate into submission and it doesn't help that the AWS-3 auction prices emboldened them. 

While I'd hope T-Mobile could get the 700mhz spectrum here , I doubt they will, which makes a huge impact on my opinion of them doing this at all with the 700mhz in the U.S. I understand and support their need to replace their 2G area with 4G LTE, but their need for in-building coverage wasn't that much of a priority to where they needed to spend their money on the 700mhz. Better for them to have used that money for funding network buildout in 2g areas where needed that could have been done more quickly if not for the 700mhz they are focusing on right now. Besides, it is more money they'd have to spend on the 600mhz spectrum where they have a better chance at getting a wider range of markets on, including Chicago.

Good thing the 700a buildout deadline is 1q2017 (I think).

I hope TMO waits it out to stick it to the speculators. They got millions of adds with no lowband anywhere; they'll be fine with ONLY 190mil lowband plus small cells.

Wait it out?  HA...they need 700 MHz spectrum now.

T-Mobile needs more AWS spectrum. Sprint needs more towers. AT&T wants more Acquisitions, while Verizon just wants more money.

Edit note : I had more to add to this, but in my tiredness I forgot where I was going with this and posted it by mistake unfinished. For some reason, my energy and mental awareness are both very weak the past several hours. I'll say this though, as unpopular as it is, I supported and still support the idea of a T-Mobile merger with AT&T, though keeping T-Mobile as a subsidiary, similar to what Cricket is now.

Now while I don't like Comcast much, I can see them in the future purchasing Sprint, or Softbank purchasing Comcast, then if Dish were to get in somewhere, however such a deal were to come about and if it were approved, AT&T could make a strong case for wanting an acquisition of T-Mobile, as there would be a Comcast/Dish/Sprint vs AT&T/DirecTv/T-Mobile. Actually thinking about it, they could spin all the wireless services under the T-Mobile name, the way Comcast uses the Xfinity name. Then Dish vs DirecTv and also Comcast vs AT&T.

Verizon seems content just being Verizon, though they may purchase other cable companies to add strength against a scenario such as this, which is why I doubt Dish would work much with Verizon, unless Verizon and Comcast were to merge, instead of with Sprint.

They were only carrier to add postpaid phone customers 1q so they must not need it.

Or, do they now need it because they are adding more customers?

• Like 2

Or, do they now need it because they are adding more customers?

Of course they need it long term but they don't need to pay an arm and a leg TODAY.

Off the top of your head, do you know when the buildout deadlines are and the procedures?

Buildout for 700-A? It's 2017, and they have to cover 30% of the geographic area. Once they meet coverage before the deadline, they file with the FCC that they have met build out requirements and provide simple maps showing coverage areas and population counts. That's about it.

Buildout for 700-A? It's 2017, and they have to cover 30% of the geographic area. Once they meet coverage before the deadline, they file with the FCC that they have met build out requirements and provide simple maps showing coverage areas and population counts. That's about it.

So what are the speculators thinking? That TMO will pay them before 2017?

So what are the speculators thinking? That TMO will pay them before 2017?

That's exactly what they are thinking. But if they don't have a deal by Mid 2016, the tables start to turn on the speculators. Because it starts to get too late to do anything about it in time.

However, the FCC has not been taking licenses from speculators in the past who do not meet build out requirements. And given them chance after chance. So there is precedence that the speculators may make it past build out with license still firmly clenched in hand.

I'm kind of jaded by the whole build out requirement by the FCC. I hope they do something this time. Speculators need to be caught with their pants down and be made examples, losing their investment. Then the licenses should be reauctioned. It's right and fair for all. Especially the taxpayer.

• Like 8

That's exactly what they are thinking. But if they don't have a deal by Mid 2016, the tables start to turn on the speculators. Because it starts to get too late to do anything about it in time.

However, the FCC has not been taking licenses from speculators in the past who do jot meet build out requirements. And given them chance after chance. So there is precedence that the speculators may make it past build out with license still firmly clenched in hand.

I'm kind of jaded by the whole build out requirement by the FCC. I hope they do something this time. Speculators need to be caught with their pants down and be made examples, losing their investment. Then the licenses should be reauctioned. It's right and fair for all. Especially the taxpayer.

What's the point of a buildout deadline if it's not enforced?

• Like 1

I understand the reason T-mobile is the most likely buyer, but it would be ironic (or funny) if AT&T sold that 700-A block in Chicago to someone else.

Besides the buildout requirement wasn't the sale of that spectrum a condition of one of their mergers...

• Like 1