T-Mobile LTE & Network Discussion V2

lilotimz

7 minutes ago, RedSpark said:

T-Mobile seems to do a better job of planning and deploying backhaul than Sprint has.

I wonder if the New T-Mobile will have greater leverage or economies of scale for backhaul deployment.

From talking with cell site firms, T-Mobile prefers to have their own back haul. It will be interesting to see what they choose to do with Sprint's internet provider holdings -- do they sell given it is a offchute business or do they build it up?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, dkyeager said:

From talking with cell site firms, T-Mobile prefers to have their own back haul. It will be interesting to see what they choose to do with Sprint's internet provider holdings -- do they sell given it is a offchute business or do they build it up?

I didn’t know T-Mobile ran its own backhaul. That’s interesting.

Good question. If Sprint was ever given enough resources to run its own backhaul, it would have been a stronger competitor. There are rumors/stories out there about deliberate “incompetence” by the big two on Sprint’s backhaul orders. Are they true?

33 minutes ago, RedSpark said:

I didn’t know T-Mobile ran its own backhaul. That’s interesting.

Good question. If Sprint was ever given enough resources to run its own backhaul, it would have been a stronger competitor. There are rumors/stories out there about deliberate “incompetence” by the big two on Sprint’s backhaul orders. Are they true?

My understanding is Sprint often does not place backhaul orders until the site is up and running, however I have seen that change is some cases lately.  The cell site providers have started to run their own fiber in areas where zoning, pole access, and crossings (railroad, main highways) are problems.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, RedSpark said:

Why did they do this?

Probably because they realize that 5G on a channel of 20MHz or less is stupid so they're trying to give NR on 600MHz as much spectrum as possible. I've seen quite a few posts about them going from 10x10 to 5x5 on r/tmobile. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Brad The Beast said:

Probably because they realize that 5G on a channel of 20MHz or less is stupid so they're trying to give NR on 600MHz as much spectrum as possible. I've seen quite a few posts about them going from 10x10 to 5x5 on r/tmobile. 

Can confirm. We started at 10MHz here, I went to test out if my embedded cat18 radio would pick up band 71 and it sure went right down to 5MHz.

• Like 1

Band 71 in  north Denver like Thornton and Westminster sucks.  I can't get above .5 on upload.  Download with a 286 ping was under 1mbps. Mind you I was say 150 yards away from the site,  went inside the store and it switched to sprint for a couple seconds then at&t

9iw7.png

Band 71 @5MHz aggregated with band 2 @10MHz, these are the only channels available on this site. Interstate 95 N of Florence SC.

I don't know why everyone keeps spreading misinformation about these bands not aggregating, just like certain roaming bands being restricted, this is untrue. Y'all should stop.

• Like 1

9iw7.png
Band 71 @5MHz aggregated with band 2 @10MHz, these are the only channels available on this site. Interstate 95 N of Florence SC.
I don't know why everyone keeps spreading misinformation about these bands not aggregating, just like certain roaming bands being restricted, this is untrue. Y'all should stop.
It doesn't make sense for me why T-Mobile only has it deployed in certain areas in 5 megahertz slots.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Just now, danlodish345 said:

It doesn't make sense for me why T-Mobile only has it deployed in certain areas in 5 megahertz slots.

Pretty sure the idea is to preserve maximum bandwidth for the New Radio launch.

• Like 1

Pretty sure the idea is to preserve maximum bandwidth for the New Radio launch.
I mean I understand that idea now. But they were touting the 600 megahertz as a new form of LTE in terms of coverage. They shouldn't be bragging about it if it's only a 5 megahertz chunk deployment. Because for my area only it's a 10 megahertz slice of band 71. Why even bother putting it to LTE if it's only 5 megahertz?

5 minutes ago, danlodish345 said:

I mean I understand that idea now. But they were touting the 600 megahertz as a new form of LTE in terms of coverage. They shouldn't be bragging about it if it's only a 5 megahertz chunk deployment. Because for my area only it's a 10 megahertz slice of band 71. Why even bother putting it to LTE if it's only 5 megahertz?

Like WiMAX, it was the right and available technology at the time of launch. New Radio offers a bit more capacity and will be widely available sooner than a lot of folks expected, while dynamic spectrum sharing is something that about 2 of many vendors have a product for, or will soon so this is what we end up with. Throw in the clearance schedule for digital dividend spectrum and you have a lot of rules, vectors and variables.

Like WiMAX, it was the right and available technology at the time of launch. New Radio offers a bit more capacity and will be widely available sooner than a lot of folks expected, while dynamic spectrum sharing is something that about 2 of many vendors have a product for, or will soon so this is what we end up with. Throw in the clearance schedule for digital dividend spectrum and you have a lot of rules, vectors and variables.
Okay I can understand now. Also how's T-Mobile coverage in your area?

Just now, danlodish345 said:

Traveling from the coast to capital city today. 

Great until you get off the beaten path. Fair as you get off the beaten path. Gone once you make a new path.

• Like 1

Once the two networks are combined, will it honestly be competitive with the big two? Especially in areas where both Sprint and T-Mobile struggle or have no coverage?

Also, in a area where Sprint is stronger and T-Mobile is weak, will the T-Mobile tower get decommissioned or will the Sprint tower still go? These are my concerns and why I don’t want the merger if I take a hit in coverage because of T-Mobile favoring their own towers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Once the two networks are combined, will it honestly be competitive with the big two? Especially in areas where both Sprint and T-Mobile struggle or have no coverage?

Who knows only time will tell.

Who knows only time will tell.

You got that right. I’m just can’t wait to see the promos that the carriers are going to have to try and suck in Sprint customers and what T-Mobiles plan will be to retain Sprint customers.

You got that right. I’m just can’t wait to see the promos that the carriers are going to have to try and suck in Sprint customers and what T-Mobiles plan will be to retain Sprint customers.

So I don't believe in anything anyone or any company says ...I m a believe it when I see it type of guy.

7 hours ago, danlodish345 said:

TMobile is good here in Beaufort.  I couldn't get a signal in my house on Sprint but I am consistently getting good speed on TMobile.

Beaufort SC.  Just south of Charleston SC.
I'm in the New Jersey market. I'm in Central New Jersey. T-Mobile's coverage where I go in South and Central New Jersey is pretty decent. Could use a little bit of work but it's pretty good for the most part.

• Like 1

That's where my mom lives! I was just there like two weeks ago. T-Mobile was good for the most part. I saw a couple of sites with 600MHz panels up. 
I found out that T-Mobile is doing coverage expansion and coverage hole fillings in my area.

• Like 1