T-Mobile LTE & Network Discussion V2

lilotimz

If that's the case then AT$T will be loaded with debt too. If the Direct TV deal is approved.

Sent from my Nexus 6

After the Vodafone buyout Verizons debt ballooned to about $100 billion. I'm sure that Verizon can still tap the credit markets. The question is, for how much? Have not kept up with the rumored Dish deal but I don't think it  would raise AT&T's debt to the same levels.

Still not understanding how an abundance of MVNOs explains higher information requests...

I think he is going along the lines of criminals using burner phones which would typically be on a mvno rather than post paid account.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

A theory from the TMoNews commenter Archieran that makes sense on the reasoning why T-Mobile got the most requests: MetroPCS. MetroPCS always got a disproportionate number of government requests due to the cheap service they offered, even pre-T-Mobile, even when they were CDMA. MetroPCS these days still sells cheap burner phones, it just turns out there's burners on GSM/WCDMA/LTE instead of CDMA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Still not understanding how an abundance of MVNOs explains higher information requests...

And the answer is...

The reason why there are higher numbers possibly in relation to the MVNOs, is because typically there are a lot less security loopholes for MVNO customers to go through than with the main carriers.

I remember in HS, the local 'dealer' used to carry 2 phones. One for personal use and another for his 'business' (and this was way before mobile data). His business phone was a burner he had bought at a gas station.

MVNOs are very popular among drug dealers and other not exactly 'legal' enterprises. I remember seeing a small documentary about human smuggling in South Texas and how in each safe house they store female illegal aliens in one room, males in another, and food/supplies in another. Among the supplies were dozens of TracPhone boxes they had purchased at a Dollar General.

Also, not to turn this into a political issue, but its no secret that crime is more rampant in lower income neighborhoods. And as we all know, MVNOs are usually popular among low income households and individuals. Then consider that some of the most popular MVNOs use T-Mobile and Sprint, and the answer becomes a lot clearer.

• Like 3

And the answer is...

I remember in HS, the local 'dealer' used to carry 2 phones. One for personal use and another for his 'business' (and this was way before mobile data). His business phone was a burner he had bought at a gas station.

MVNOs are very popular among drug dealers and other not exactly 'legal' enterprises. I remember seeing a small documentary about human smuggling in South Texas and how in each safe house they store female illegal aliens in one room, males in another, and food/supplies in another. Among the supplies were dozens of TracPhone boxes they had purchased at a Dollar General.

Also, not to turn this into a political issue, but its no secret that crime is more rampant in lower income neighborhoods. And as we all know, MVNOs are usually popular among low income households and individuals. Then consider that some of the most popular MVNOs use T-Mobile and Sprint, and the answer becomes a lot clearer.

Very well said!

This is one of the reasons I have for wanting Sprint and T-Mobile to merge and have a stronger position to where they can afford to shed such MVNOs, which harm their reputation, since they won't be as reliant on those MVNOs for financial and subscriber reasons.

Some added T-Mobile news to post here. Apparently, there is going to be another Amped announcement today :

http://www.tmonews.com/2015/07/t-mobiles-next-un-carrier-amped-move-will-be-announced-july-8-at-900-am-et/

There are different rumors, including a possible change in their rate plans which may begin to include fees and taxes. I believe this is possible they may do this, and I've formulated a potential rate plan I imagine they might implement. So, here is what I think we could see done :

Unlimited Plan with 9gb full-speed tethering then unlimited slow throttle for $90 monthly or 10gb full-speed tethering then unlimited slow throttle for $100 monthly. If neither those plans, the rate could be $90 or $100 monthly for unlimited everything with a tether throttle rate at a more usable speed, such as 3-9mbps, though my guess would be 3mbps. The $90 or $100 monthly rates including fees and taxes, possibly even insurance, all as a way in an attempt to outshine Sprint's Allin.

The other ideas I have for them would be to add three per gb data plans including fees and taxes, again possibly even insurance. One being 15gb for $75 monthly. The other being 10gb for $60 monthly. Then 5gb for $45 monthly. I imagine those will include T-Mobile's service offerings, such as Data Stash, Music Freedom, etc.

The fine print doesn't state much besides saying that they aren't responsible for the roaming carrier's network performance. Your service might be cancelled if most of your data usage occurs across the border. Sppeeds should be at least 128kbps, etc. It doesn't mention any speed cap on LTE at all which is interesting.

• Like 1

Sprint is going to have a tough time replicating this, because of technical reasons. Not much CDMA in Canada and Mexico anymore. And Sprint LTE bands are not in use. Maybe something can be done with CCA devices, but then there would be no voice. Messy.

Just WCDMA capable devices could do something like this on Sprint.

Using Nexus 6 on Tapatalk

• Like 7

Sprint is going to have a tough time replicating this, because of technical reasons. Not much CDMA in Canada and Mexico anymore. And Sprint LTE bands are not in use. Maybe something can be done with CCA devices, but then there would be no voice. Messy.

So, essentially, until VoLTE is the standard Sprint's only response is a proverbial tip o' the cap to T-Mobile? i.e. there is no real chance for a like-for-like counter, correct?

So, essentially, until VoLTE is the standard Sprint's only response is a proverbial tip o' the cap to T-Mobile? i.e. there is no real chance for a like-for-like counter, correct?

Not really. They can copy a lot of it, but its going to be wildly dependant on what device customers are using across the borders.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

It doesn't seem like it would be *too* terribly difficult going forward at least with newer iPhones, Nexus phones and CCA capable phones like you mentioned. Most of the current LTE deployments in Canada and Mexico appear to be on Bands 2, 4 & 17 with a smattering of Band 7 & 38 deployments. While offering LTE roaming would be great even upgrading from "2G speeds" to HSPA/HSPA+ should be quite usable. Most mid range and all high end handsets include GSM/W-CDMA radios nowadays. International value roaming on Movistar in Mexico already uses GSM or W-CDMA for voice roaming since, as you noted, there's not much in the way of CDMA left (in either country); the same would almost certainly be true in Canada whenever international voice roaming gets added there. Maybe a little extra legwork, but it seems doable if the bean counters could make it palatable. 

I know they have international value roaming there, but in addition to Canada and Mexico, it would be a no-brainer to also give Japan the free 'Mobile without Borders' treatment. Kinda crazy that they haven't already actually.

It doesn't seem like it would be *too* terribly difficult going forward at least with newer iPhones, Nexus phones and CCA capable phones like you mentioned. Most of the current LTE deployments in Canada and Mexico appear to be on Bands 2, 4 & 17 with a smattering of Band 7 & 38 deployments. While offering LTE roaming would be great even upgrading from "2G speeds" to HSPA/HSPA+ should be quite usable. Most mid range and all high end handsets include GSM/W-CDMA radios nowadays. International value roaming on Movistar in Mexico already uses GSM or W-CDMA for voice roaming since, as you noted, there's not much in the way of CDMA left (in either country); the same would almost certainly be true in Canada whenever international voice roaming gets added there. Maybe a little extra legwork, but it seems doable if the bean counters could make it palatable. 

I know they have international value roaming there, but in addition to Canada and Mexico, it would be a no-brainer to also give Japan the free 'Mobile without Borders' treatment. Kinda crazy that they haven't already actually.

http://www.softbank.jp/mobile/service/global/america-hodai/

That's SoftBank's America Unlimited plan, if you have Chrome, translate it to read it. 

On a side note, part of the strategy doesn't seem to be in tune here between Sprint and their corporate parent. That's the type of strategic issue that concerns me going forward. On the network side, having Miyikawa in Overland Park is a big aid, but there's still other areas where it seems like Old Sprint and SoftBank aren't always in tune. 

• Like 2

The Sprint free data thing is limited to GSM anyway. I dont see why adding free voice limited to GSM would be an issue as well.

Most users are on Iphones or premium androids that have GSM right?

I am very glad to see Tmobile do this. Cant wait for the rest to eventually follow.

• Like 1

T-Mobile's porting ratio with Sprint rose from 2.45 to 2.50 this past quarter.

http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/despite-t-mobiles-never-settle-campaign-fewer-verizon-subs-ported-t-mobile/2015-07-09

This gives oomph to all those folks saying Marcelo's burst on twitter was related to 2Q numbers.

I don't really see how this is a big deal in terms of the whole "reveloutionary" aspect of what T-Mobile claims to do with its "Uncarrier" and now "Amped" initiatives. T-Mobile could see AT&T preparing for this, so all T-Mobile did was beat them too it. Also, this could end up being very costly to T-Mobile, which once again keeps throwing all these extra "freebies" in which it may not be able to afford in the long run. Besides in the short term, T-Mobile needs to begin building more revenue to fund for its part in the 600mhz auction, rather than spending money on getting more free perks for its customers.

Seems to me the analysts and commented who mentioned T-Mobile's pressuring the government for more spectrum really is so T-Mobile can get a free ride out of it. T-Mobile needs more spectrum so it can get a better network here in the U.S. Now is not the time for T-Mobile to be spending money on getting more free international perks for it customers T-Mobile should be spending here in the U.S., rather than competing against AT&T international. With this latest move, seems T-Mobile gave up competing against Verizon in their ridiculous ripoff campaign, now instead focusing on AT&T.

Sprint is being much smarter in their moves. Fewer international deals that satisfy a need, without wasting money. Instead focusing that money on a real need with its network here. I really wish my experience with Sprint had been better, because overall I think they have the best business strategy and are doing the best with it.

• Like 2

T-Mobile's porting ratio with Sprint rose from 2.45 to 2.50 this past quarter.

http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/despite-t-mobiles-never-settle-campaign-fewer-verizon-subs-ported-t-mobile/2015-07-09

Five hundreths is flat.  That's statistically no change.  Glad to see it's not really rising.

• Like 5

I think it's super dope what he announced but I just wish he would announce more stuff pertaining to the network here in the U.S.

I think everyone gets the point that T-Mobile is the king is perks but lets also make the network a perk too.

• Like 2

I think it's super dope what he announced but I just wish he would announce more stuff pertaining to the network here in the U.S.

I think everyone gets the point that T-Mobile is the king is perks but lets also make the network a perk too.

To me, it seems as T-Mobile has given up with announcements pertaining to actual U.S. benefits, especially with their network here. Even some of their supporters on TmoNews and on other sites have been complaining about the lack of updates regarding the 2g upgrades.

It actually seems like, to me anyways, T-Mobile reversed itself from trying to compete with Verizon by being about the network here in the U.S., skipping to what is easier for them by making more deals internationally, particularly in Mexico where they'll compete (in a way, though not directly) with AT&T.

• Like 3

T-Mobile is now claiming to cover 290 Million people with LTE. Where exactly? It's my understanding that to reach this number they needed to have expanded their network significantly however I can say with confidence that in my area T-Mobile hasn't expanded anything.

• Like 3

T-Mobile is now claiming to cover 290 Million people with LTE. Where exactly? It's my understanding that to reach this number they needed to have expanded their network significantly however I can say with confidence that in my area T-Mobile hasn't expanded anything.

I was just about to post about that. I don't know where they're getting 290mil pops from. Nobody has discovered any new major expansion.
  • Like 2

I don't really see how this is a big deal in terms of the whole "reveloutionary" aspect of what T-Mobile claims to do with its "Uncarrier" and now "Amped" initiatives. T-Mobile could see AT&T preparing for this, so all T-Mobile did was beat them too it. Also, this could end up being very costly to T-Mobile, which once again keeps throwing all these extra "freebies" in which it may not be able to afford in the long run. Besides in the short term, T-Mobile needs to begin building more revenue to fund for its part in the 600mhz auction, rather than spending money on getting more free perks for its customers.

Seems to me the analysts and commented who mentioned T-Mobile's pressuring the government for more spectrum really is so T-Mobile can get a free ride out of it. T-Mobile needs more spectrum so it can get a better network here in the U.S. Now is not the time for T-Mobile to be spending money on getting more free international perks for it customers T-Mobile should be spending here in the U.S., rather than competing against AT&T international. With this latest move, seems T-Mobile gave up competing against Verizon in their ridiculous ripoff campaign, now instead focusing on AT&T.

Sprint is being much smarter in their moves. Fewer international deals that satisfy a need, without wasting money. Instead focusing that money on a real need with its network here. I really wish my experience with Sprint had been better, because overall I think they have the best business strategy and are doing the best with it.

Touche' Touche' Touche'

That's well said and on point!  On both accounts. 

What many who live in denial is the fact that legere and the so called uncarrier business model (short term) is setting up tmobileus for a buyout. Anyone who's bought into this have had the wool pulled over their eyes in believing what he's selling is nothing but smoke and mirrors. A Pipe Dream! 

In two years time it will be sold or hostile takeover. 

• Like 2