Similar forum like this but for AT&T?

xmx1024

Plenty of areas in the Catskills and Taconics or even along the Hudson in downstate New York are not far from large population centers, but they could be considered "rural."

AJ

It could, but then again, that area is also largely considered as Upstate NY.

Could've also been easier to just say AT&T is amazing in Westchester, Putnam, etc so that we can relate. 

Plenty of areas in the Catskills and Taconics or even along the Hudson in downstate New York are not far from large population centers, but they could be considered "rural."

AJ

Thank you. You understood what I meant. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Downstate_New_York

I am in and travel around the orange, but I sometimes am around the bordering "yellow" areas sometimes (that I'd consider Upstate). Even some of the yellow is sometimes considered Downstate, although I don't personally consider it that. 

It could, but then again, that area is also largely considered as Upstate NY.

Could've also been easier to just say AT&T is amazing in Westchester, Putnam, etc so that we can relate. 

No, it is only considered Upstate by people in NYC; not by everyone else. Those counties are further south where I believe VZW does a bit better, even T-Mobile is more existent and Sprint's upgrades are currently more pronounced. 

I thought everything north of New Rochelle was Upstate? LOL

Using Moto X² on Tapatalk

• Like 1

I thought everything north of New Rochelle was Upstate? LOL

That would be a "strange, erotic journey," Milan and Minsk, aside.

AJ

• Like 1

It sounds like a good idea to me there'd be a site like this for AT&T. Is there one for Verizon I'm wondering?

Nope. If there was it would be almost immediately shut down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Why's that?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Possibly Verizon and AT&T are more strict with their information being posted on an online website than Sprint, though I don't know why Sprint wouldn't be just as concerned, if this is the case.

• Like 1

My location is not absent from my profile. You're also putting words in my mouth. I never said I had a negative experience with Sprint, so stop with the Fabian tactics. 

Mention 1: "Sprint's work-in-progress"

Mention 2: "Sprint is physically here, but they have a couple of noticeable holes and too much LTE left to deploy for my taste"

For AT&T, I even stated my experience may be anecdotal: "I might be a huge minority, but I've still yet to see the problems I know indeed do exist for others."

AT&T does suffer from congestion in some markets and they are slow with VoLTE and Wi-Fi calling.

Overall though their coverage is pretty awesome.

I have given AT&T a lot of flack for being slow to rollout new services and for their LTE speeds dropping.  However I have noticed speeds on the increase in my area of SoCal so for me that's promising.  

I've seen the good, the bad and the ugly with AT&T and other carriers.  They all go through phases where one day they are awesome then the next they are sub par awaiting the next round of upgrades.  

I will give AT&T credit for somehow getting at the very least HSPA coverage even in the middle of nowhere.  I think they have more issues in crowded markets.  They need to step up their CA efforts, REV 10 upgrade and then they should post some nice improvements in overall speeds. 

• Like 2

I believe we see eye to eye, Adonis, in fact I agree with everything in your post.  :tu:

All carriers have their good and bad. I just get tired of the magenta and red fanboy crowds thinking their shit is the best, to put it quite frankly. Namely how the more extreme of them must constantly go to bat for a hyped up primarily urban carrier, and a baby bell, because they think all good experiences on Sprint, and if not Sprint then on AT&T, are anecdotal at best. 

Don't get me wrong, there's no denying there are some areas where they both do excel (much of urban coverage for T-Mo, national coverage for VZW). However across the board, there is no true coast-to-coast, market-to-market ubiquity in performance from any of the 4 carriers.

AT&T has their clear set of problems and I seriously hope for their sake that they do get what they need to get done this year. I've called them out in a post myself, and just to reiterate, the purpose of my post was to discredit the bs notion that AT&T is crumbling nationwide and leaving all their customers unhappy. As I'm indeed in one of their better markets where they are keeping up, I'm not some unheard of minority. Otherwise, there is no way AT&T would still retain over 120 million subscribers.

Side note: I do love Sprint (if people are taking my posts on this thread the wrong way that I have some intergalactic relationship with Ma Bell through the death star mothership), but I like AT&T's service (especially in my short-term situation).

• Like 1

I believe we see eye to eye, Adonis, in fact I agree with everything in your post.  :tu:

All carriers have their good and bad. I just get tired of the magenta and red fanboy crowds thinking their shit is the best, to put it quite frankly. Namely how the more extreme of them must constantly go to bat for a hyped up primarily urban carrier, and a baby bell, because they think all good experiences on Sprint, and if not Sprint then on AT&T, are anecdotal at best. 

Don't get me wrong, there's no denying there are some areas where they both do excel (much of urban coverage for T-Mo, national coverage for VZW). However across the board, there is no true coast-to-coast, market-to-market ubiquity in performance from any of the 4 carriers.

AT&T has their clear set of problems and I seriously hope for their sake that they do get what they need to get done this year. I've called them out in a post myself, and just to reiterate, the purpose of my post was to discredit the bs notion that AT&T is crumbling nationwide and leaving all their customers unhappy. As I'm indeed in one of their better markets where they are keeping up, I'm not some unheard of minority. Otherwise, there is no way AT&T would still retain over 120 million subscribers.

Side note: I do love Sprint (if people are taking my posts on this thread the wrong way that I have some intergalactic relationship with Ma Bell through the death star mothership), but I like AT&T's service (especially in my short-term situation).

Hi cortney,

I like your posts here and on TmoNews, and find it unfair when people accuse you of being others, though that seems to happen towards anyone on TmoNews where anyone going against the tide there gets labeled as being a troll, etc. There is some population of any fan/info site who are tolerable of criticism, while others are not, and will attack no matter what, just to defend their turf/their beloved whatever it is.

Regarding networks though, I've become very unsatisfied with how the whole process the companies have taken to get spectrum has been, and its a fault of both the companies involved and the government. Always inflated prices for bits of spectrum fought by markets, where there are gaps in coverage, and unfair differences in spectrum levels between markets.

I know if it were my decision, I'd call all the companies together and take big slices of spectrum to divide equally among the carriers and have it deployed nationwide, rather than by market. Then they can focus on competing with each other by price, rather than network quality which varies so much based on where someone lives, which again, is very unfair and actually is uncompetitive in itself.

Then regarding websites again, it would be nice for there to be a forum for Verizon, if it could be safe in existence from any threat of shutdown by Verizon, as I think Verizon ought to see a benefit for such a news site/forum. I had a difficult time finding the exact spectrum for Verizon in Chicago, which a site like this for the company could provide, and even more. I may have to go to Verizon if my plan issue with Sprint isn't resolved, and it would be nice to know the spectrum of Verizon around here in detail, so I can do a fair comparison towards T-Mobile, hopefully in convincing my mother to go with Verizon instead of T-Mobile, this again if the Sprint plan transfer to Framily turns out not possible. Though I still hope the best for Sprint regardless.

AT&T isn't matching Verizon's promotions anymore, according to a store employee, which makes it an expensive option for me and many people looking between the two companies. They can't demand a price premium over Verizon while having an inferior network, where they do. I'm hoping they fix the issues though and have more success to compete with Verizon, especially if rates do get lower, as I'm also hoping for.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The thing about AT&T is that it is getting highly variable by market. My region is great (except Sioux Falls), and AT&T often out performs Verizon here. Even with a 10x10 and 5x5 over VZW's 10x10 and 15x15. However, the places I travel are a mixed bag. Some places are still good, some places are fair. But Denver is God awful for AT&T. Like Sprint circa 2012/2013.

I'm looking at at&t for better mountain coverage... How is their service in Loveland / ft Collins area? I try to stay away from Denver as much as possible. Also I assume the mvno (go phone) route is not a good idea since they use a lot of 3rd party coverage out here.

I have been pretty happy with sprint since moving back to Co but I am in the mountains a lot and any improvement there would be nice.

I'm looking at at&t for better mountain coverage... How is their service in Loveland / ft Collins area? I try to stay away from Denver as much as possible. Also I assume the mvno (go phone) route is not a good idea since they use a lot of 3rd party coverage out here.

I have been pretty happy with sprint since moving back to Co but I am in the mountains a lot and any improvement there would be nice.

If you can't get personal accounts, take a look at crowd-source maps like RootMetrics and Sensorly. I've also found people don't plot very much AT&T in most areas, so if you see plots within a mile of where you frequent, you can choose to take a gamble or not. 

Also, it seems there's no 3rd-party in that immediate area, so check AT&T's coverage map to see where they say partner coverage is and if that applies to you or if travel a lot outside that area. 

I don't know how AT&T is out west or in CO, so don't take my word for it. 

• 3 months later...

I would love a site simialr to this for AT&T network upgrades (I found this thread googling for one LOL). AT&T certainly isn't immune to issues - in my semi rural part of NJ it's Big Red or nothing, even after Sprint upgraded the towers in the area. I had a great expierence in and around Boston with Sprint, and even in NYC. But I moved to Eastern North Carolina, and Sprint unfortunately just doesn't have the tower density to serve my needs in this area - even using the RF beast that is a Nexus 5 and tower upgrades.

AT&T serves me well, but at a cost. I'm hoping that over the next year or two Sprint can get to the next level in my area so that I can stop handing money over to the Death Star. My dad had Sprint in Houston - loved it, had great call quality & data speeds (even on the Galaxy Nexus I bought him)...same story as me. He moved to rural Central PA, and had dropped calls & slow/no data.

Verizon isn't the king around here either - I have coworkers who can't use their phones inside the building, whereas I could even when I had Sprint. This past weekend I was at a music festival for work, and my coworker with VZW couldn't use data or make a call whereas I had no issue with either on AT&T.

Marketing has a lot to do with this as well - Verizon has been hammering away for years about their network, even with LTE sites overloaded in major metro areas. But my friends still refuse to leave, even with poor reception and slow data.

Thank you Robert, WiWavelength and others for this quality content on the site - well worth the money, and better than most other outlets.

• Like 5

Thank you for this post! I like to see accounts from people. Can I ask if you were closer to Northern or Southern NJ? 

Even so, I'm also not a fan of AT&T as a company, but I still have to go places Sprint won't always cover and they still have too much 3G and occasional holes. AT&T's service is fantastic for me. I share the same hope in wanting Sprint to make their way into these suburban, exurban and semirural areas so I can use them as my primary with confidence. I know it's coming but it's not here quite yet.

Verizon does have the coverage some need, but in general it is blind loyalty at this point. They really masterminded their marketing, though. In some areas they're selling absolute crap, in others mediocre. Most are just plain scared to leave. 

Thank you for this post! I like to see accounts from people. Can I ask if you were closer to Northern or Southern NJ? 

I lived in Central NJ (Monmouth County - near Great Adventure). I worked for CBS Radio NY and would take NJ Transit into and out of the city, as well as drive in the length of the NJ Turnpike. Sprint had LTE along the NE Corridor line till you got past Princeton Junction, then it didn't pick up again till New Brunswick. Same for the Turnpike - between 8 and 9 was a 3G only zone. This was on a iPhone 5, and pre upgrades for many of the sites - when I got my Nexus 5, reception improved in the area but was still not as good as Verizon. Down the shore was better - Asbury Park/Neptune/Belmar all were fine for data and voice.

The only reason I went with AT&T was that I had a hotspot thru them, as well as receiving a FAN discount thru work. So when I had to switch, I went with them. Plus, Verizon's EV-DO network was/is much slower than the HSPA that my AT&T hotspot falls back to whenever LTE is unavailable.

Over the summer I drove from Eastern NC to NJ, then out to Northern Michigan (Cadillac), over to Central PA then back to NC. And outside of a few spots on Interstate 80 in PA, I had at least HSPA thru the hotspot (my GF has Sprint, and outside of metro areas, she had to use my hotspot for data - but I blame her device moreso than the network..she has a S4 that never gets good reception...even after getting the device swapped). 

On topic (somewhat) AT&T has started rolling out AWS in Wilmington NC - it is speedy when you can get it. Still some stretches of Highway 17 between New Bern and Jacksonville that are HSPA, but I think my 5S just doesn't have the same reception as my Nexus 5 did.  

• Like 1

On topic (somewhat) AT&T has started rolling out AWS in Wilmington NC - it is speedy when you can get it. Still some stretches of Highway 17 between New Bern and Jacksonville that are HSPA, but I think my 5S just doesn't have the same reception as my Nexus 5 did.  

Thanks for the response!  :)

Yes. AT&T does have that H+ guilt around due to occasional sparsity or non-converted towers from what I've seen, but I've also seen some LTE overlays recently. Same with PCS / AWS-1, that's also been quickly rolling out all over and I've seen both. Works for the time being. 

I'm disappointed to continue to hear of Samsung's poor RF performance. And also that's one point I think some forget. Sometimes, it isn't even the network. A phone with crappy performance can leave a poor taste and give a bad impression for a carrier. 

Some Samsung devices sure have regretfully ruined a provider's reputation, when really the device was at fault. The Galaxy Nexus being the absolute worst.

Using Nexus 6 on Tapatalk

• Like 4

Some Samsung devices sure have regretfully ruined a provider's reputation, when really the device was at fault. The Galaxy Nexus being the absolute worst.

Using Nexus 6 on Tapatalk

Ahhh...the Galaxy Nexus. The very first android phone that I ever returned.

Sent from my G2

• Like 4

Sent from my G2

It was my dad's Christmas present from me....never purchased a Samsung device since. And I've gotten the GF away from Samsung after her S4 was hot garbage for reception on Sprint....

Sent from my G2

I still have mine around here somewhere...

*looking through drawers frantically*

Using Tapatalk on Nexus 6

• Like 1

It was my dad's Christmas present from me....never purchased a Samsung device since. And I've gotten the GF away from Samsung after her S4 was hot garbage for reception on Sprint....

My buddy had a Galaxy Nexus from Sprint, I was so jealous of a Nexus device, then it was such a steaming pile...

I'm assuming your GF had an original S4 on Sprint, the S4T is amazing for reception.

My buddy had a Galaxy Nexus from Sprint, I was so jealous of a Nexus device, then it was such a steaming pile...

I'm assuming your GF had an original S4 on Sprint, the S4T is amazing for reception.

It was a tri-band phone, but given she had to swap it out for another (refurbished) one, I'm willing to blame the device rather than Sprint (my N5 could latch onto LTE without issue whereas hers wouldn't budge from CDMA unless forced to).

My friend had a Galaxy Nexus on Verizon - he loved it, so I thought it couldn't be that bad. I was wrong...so wrong. Hopefully when the next iPhone drops I can pick up a gently used 6 to get LTE-A and HD Voice and make the 5S a backup device.

• Like 1