HD Radio

lou99/maximus1987

Good old digital sideband bleeeover.

For many in the DX'ing hobby community, IBOC is their biggest enemy.

I'm not even referring to DX.  Washington DC is entirely within the WWMX contour, but you can't hear it in DC because of the WJFK IBOC.

- Trip

I did want to add here.  I did listen to HD radio with my old car, but when I lost it, I determined there is a better alternative and haven't looked back. The web provides so many more streaming options and our beloved Sprint, allows me to stream hundreds of stations and music services as I want.  For us who have Sprint unlimited data plans, it is better than radio or HD radio.  The limitiations of Clear Channel and the other large radio station owners have bleached local radio in my opinion.  Sprint and the web offer me far more to listen to and enjoy as I travel. 

• Like 4

I put a Mid Range Full Screen Radio/Nav/DVD deck in my Isuzu VehiCross in 2008 and it had HD Radio. Most of the stations in Northern CA I listened to sounded like Sat Radio. Clearer, but tinny. Most had 2 or 3 stations per channel. And that is likely why.

I have since bought similar Mid Range Full Screen Radio/Nav/DVD decks for my Suburban, my wife's Isuzu Ascender, my Isuzu Trooper and my son's Chevy Impala in 2010, 2012 and 2014. And none of them have HD Radio. So, in after market radios, maybe the HD Radio fad is already over? Or maybe at least now just being offered in top line decks?

Using Moto X² on Tapatalk

My 2014 Mazda6 has HD radio and I only have the mid-trim (touring). I actually really appreciate the better sound quality. More and more stations are becoming HD in my area.

I am somewhat disappointed on how long it has taken for HD radio to become popular. It really should be standard equipment by now. It's been around since I was in high school (graduated in 09) yet it's still a special feature for aftermarket receivers.

We just bought a speed boat (for the opulent price of $750 lol) and I wanted to add an HD radio capable receiver to it. I assumed that was the standard tech these days, but it isn't. You have to buy a special optional component to add on to a higher priced receiver. So it's still in the early stages for that market segment, which is a damn shame. They've had years to get the tech in their products.

I guess part of the problem is that I expect the evolution of all electronics to be as rapid as it has been for cellular technology.

I did want to add here. I did listen to HD radio with my old car, but when I lost it, I determined there is a better alternative and haven't looked back. The web provides so many more streaming options and our beloved Sprint, allows me to stream hundreds of stations and music services as I want. For us who have Sprint unlimited data plans, it is better than radio or HD radio. The limitiations of Clear Channel and the other large radio station owners have bleached local radio in my opinion. Sprint and the web offer me far more to listen to and enjoy as I travel.

When Sprint offered the free Spotify premium trial is when I switched to web/streaming over radio. Even though I have unlimited data I cache most of my playlists for offline use in the app. The only time I ever use a radio is in my work truck and only because it doesn't have an aux input.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

There is still AM Stations using HD Radio? The last one in Houston to use this technology was Radio Disney, but they sold the station and its no longer in HD. The only AM station that I know in the state of Texas that still uses IBOC is WTAW in Bryan/College station. All of the state's clearchannels (day/night time 50 KW stations) have dropped the technology.

There is still AM Stations using HD Radio? The last one in Houston to use this technology was Radio Disney, but they sold the station and its no longer in HD. The only AM station that I know in the state of Texas that still uses IBOC is WTAW in Bryan/College station. All of the state's clearchannels (day/night time 50 KW stations) have dropped the technology.

KMOX is still a powerhouse on the AM Dial...