HTC One M9 User Thread

COZisBack

one other thing you can do, if you have signal check pro, there was a post in the IA/NE premier thread in the last day or so where a member posted an updated signal check DB. if you import this into signal check pro it will have site notes listed for all of the towers that match up with the "name" column in our spreadsheet. then when you connect to LTE signal check will match the GCI of the connection to the entry in the DB and display the correct site note, that will give you a better idea of what tower you are connected to without having to remember the GCI and go look it up in the spreadsheet.

you can see an example in this screenshot http://i1102.photobucket.com/albums/g442/bradmoses/signalcheck%20screens/Screenshot_2014-11-07-11-58-55.png the note matches up to the name column in the IA spreadsheet so i know what tower i was connected to then.

Good to know  Thank you for the tip about Signal Check Pro which I do have.

edited because wall

http://i.imgur.com/N0HY4ij.jpg

You're quite welcome. Did you ever install the drivers for the m9? Odds are your computer never decided to install them on your own until then [emoji2] .

Your M9 was falling to 3G because the network sensed it as a better signal. The lg g pad 7.0 only has LTE so it will hold on for it longer because once it loses LTE it goes to no service unlike the M9 which has 3G and 1x to fall back on. If you switch your M9 to LTE only mode it will hold LTE in the same fashion as your LG G Pad 7.0

The network actually does not push you to 3G. It will keep you on LTE as long as possible, even if 3G has better signal or speeds. The only reason for dropping to 3G is the LTE signal falling below the threshold for your device, or something is wrong with the LTE signal and your device rejects it.

• Like 1

Could be.  I have been comparing some SignalCheck Pro (pre-upgrade of database) verses LTE Discovery.

LTE Discovery was indicating SPARK active in the notifications and band 41 plus either band 25 or 26.

SignalCheck showed band 25 only..

Could be. I have been comparing some SignalCheck Pro (pre-upgrade of database) verses LTE Discovery.

LTE Discovery was indicating SPARK active in the notifications and band 41 plus either band 25 or 26.

SignalCheck showed band 25 only..

Which version of Signal Check?

SignalCheck Pro version 4.27

LTE Discovery 3.19 with the $1.99 paid to unlock certain features.

They should show the same band if you have the latest version of each. Would need screen shots taken at the same moment to figure out what's going on.

They should show the same band if you have the latest version of each. Would need screen shots taken at the same moment to figure out what's going on.

Ha! I guess I should test this tomorrow... :)

That is 2 screen shots of LTE discovery, 1 of your Engineering screen and we can see SignalCheck Pro all show B41 which all seem to jive. I thought you said something was reporting wrong? 

ETA: I have verified everything matching across the 3 sources on my M9 as well. 

Edited by mrrogers1

Please in the future use the "Discover" tab when posting from LTE Discovery. The GCI and PCI are the best way we can determine if the app is reporting correctly or not. It appears to be correct in this case based off of the engineering screen you posted. I thought you said Signal Check was reporting incorrectly? As Mrrogers said, it seems to be reporting B41 just like LTE Discovery is. 

That is 2 screen shots of LTE discovery, 1 of your Engineering screen and we can see SignalCheck Pro all show B41 which all seem to jive. I thought you said something was reporting wrong? 

I was on cell phone  ....  now that I am on PC add this photo which is what was making me think NO MATCH in terms of band.  I was focused on the larger type "2500"

http://i.imgur.com/RF4NhYV.png

http://i.imgur.com/RF4NhYV.png

Perhaps I misread Signal Check Pro as band 25.  I was focused on the larger type "2500"

Please in the future use the "Discover" tab when posting from LTE Discovery. The GCI and PCI are the best way we can determine if the app is reporting correctly or not. It appears to be correct in this case based off of the engineering screen you posted. I thought you said Signal Check was reporting incorrectly? As Mrrogers said, it seems to be reporting B41 just like LTE Discovery is. 

In other thread discussions, it has been determined that I focused on the wrong info on SpeedCheck..  I focused on the larger type 2500 when I should have read the smaller type under the headline.

==================. 

I fail to understand how the Discover tab helps or what I should look for or report from that tab.

http://i.imgur.com/BMI7QE8.png

http://i.imgur.com/f0uWyCl.png

In other thread discussions, it has been determined that I focused on the wrong info on SpeedCheck..  I focused on the larger type 2500 when I should have read the smaller type under the headline.

LTE 2500 = B41. Same thing.

I fail to understand how the Discover tab helps or what I should look for or report from that tab.

It appears I've forgotten how LTE Discovery works. That is my fault. In the future, make sure the GCI is included in the screenshot, whichever tab that falls under. I don't typically use LTE Discover, Signal Check Pro does everything I need, sorry about the confusion. 

The M9 is the first HTC phone I have ever owned that does not work in Canada, at all.

The evo, evo 3d, m7, and m8 all worked flawlessly in canada. The m9 gets no signal. I called support and they also sent me to international support, and neither was able to get it working. Obviously roaming is enabled, as well as international voice. Still no signal whatsoever. I then went into *#*#4636#*#* menu and tried changing the preferred network type to every possible option. On the GSM options, the phone would actually get a signal, but whenever you attempt to make a call it just drops immediately.

The M9 is the first HTC phone I have ever owned that does not work in Canada, at all.

Vis a vis wireless, traveling to Canada has now become almost no different from traveling to the UK.  You need a GSM/W-CDMA capable handset -- because Bell and Telus were basically asshats in preemptively ditching CDMA2000 for GSM/W-CDMA, circa 2008.  My understanding is that the CDMA2000 network now is almost entirely shut down, and Sprint has removed CDMA1X/EV-DO roaming from its latest PRLs.

Regardless, if you care about RF capabilities in your flagship handset, do not take anything for granted.  You should always read our FCC OET article before making a purchase.  And we typically publish within a day or two of the FCC OET authorization going online, thus usually weeks before the handset hits stores.

I have to assume that you did not read our article on the HTC One M9.  We devoted an entire paragraph to its lack of domestic GSM/W-CDMA bands (i.e. GSM 850/1900 and bands 2/4/5 W-CDMA).

Second, the One M9 was not tested, thus is not authorized for domestic GSM/W-CDMA bands. Rabid phone unlockers under the new Sprint domestic unlocking policy, consider yourselves forewarned.

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/blog/1/entry-383-summer-of-69-samsung-and-htc-rock-out-with-their-flagships-for-the-season/

AJ

• Like 1

Vis a vis wireless, traveling to Canada has now become almost no different from traveling to the UK.  You need a GSM/W-CDMA capable handset -- because Bell and Telus were basically asshats in preemptively ditching CDMA2000 for GSM/W-CDMA, circa 2008.  My understanding is that the CDMA2000 network now is almost entirely shut down, and Sprint has removed CDMA1X/EV-DO roaming from its latest PRLs.

Regardless, if you care about RF capabilities in your flagship handset, do not take anything for granted.  You should always read our FCC OET article before making a purchase.  And we typically publish within a day or two of the FCC OET authorization going online, thus usually weeks before the handset hits stores.

I have to assume that you did not read our article on the HTC One M9.  We devoted an entire paragraph to its lack of domestic GSM/W-CDMA bands (i.e. GSM 850/1900 and bands 2/4/5 W-CDMA).

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/blog/1/entry-383-summer-of-69-samsung-and-htc-rock-out-with-their-flagships-for-the-season/

AJ

Thank you for the information.  I did indeed read that post while I was researching this problem.  So does this mean the m9 is completely unable to roam in Canada, period?  I was able to swicth to GSM-only mode and get a strong Rogers signal.  However attempting to make any call resulted in the call immediately dropping.  I also had Sprint international "enable" my phone for roaming and they were the ones that advised trying GSM mode.

Thank you for the information.  I did indeed read that post while I was researching this problem.  So does this mean the m9 is completely unable to roam in Canada, period?  I was able to swicth to GSM-only mode and get a strong Rogers signal.  However attempting to make any call resulted in the call immediately dropping.  I also had Sprint international "enable" my phone for roaming and they were the ones that advised trying GSM mode.

A few thoughts...

One, unless something has changed recently, Sprint has no roaming agreement with Rogers.  Sprint roaming agreements in Canada have long been with Bell and Telus.  That would help to explain your inability to make a call on the Rogers network.

Two, the Sprint variant HTC One M9 almost certainly has hardware to support domestic GSM/W-CDMA bands, but those were not tested and authorized in the FCC OET filing.  So, enabling them in the US is a violation of federal law.  Industry Canada filings generally go hand in hand with FCC OET filings.  However, that may not be the case here.  There may be a separate Industry Canada filing for the Sprint variant that authorizes domestic GSM/W-CDMA bands in Canada.  That would help to explain your ability to camp on the Rogers network.

Three, enabling "international" roaming for Canada has not applied to most/all postpaid accounts.  Bell and Telus were already included in Sprint PRLs -- no intervention necessary.  Maybe with the switch to GSM/W-CDMA roaming, though, that has now changed.  And "international" roaming may not have been successfully added to your account.  It is not something that always happens at just the click of a button.

Four, if my first and second points are true, I wonder if this is just a network selection issue.  Unlike CDMA2000, GSM/W-CDMA does not use PRLs.  A user must sometimes manually select the appropriate network.  When in GSM/W-CDMA mode, a network selection option potentially should be available under Settings.

AJ

For any who are wondering/thinking about (and are S-off) flashing the previous radio onto this firmware version, it does not completely bring back the initial RF performance. However it is definitely a step in the right direction. For example previously would barely get a -116-117 dbm b26 at night time by a window, now can get a -108-109 dbm b26 signal in the exact same spot. Throughput has more than doubled also, ~1.5mb/so to a bit over 4mb/s. These findings are pretty much identical in the Kansas City area, STL area, and the rural areas inbetween.

For any who are wondering/thinking about (and are S-off) flashing the previous radio onto this firmware version, it does not completely bring back the initial RF performance. However it is definitely a step in the right direction. For example previously would barely get a -116-117 dbm b26 at night time by a window, now can get a -108-109 dbm b26 signal in the exact same spot. Throughput has more than doubled also, ~1.5mb/so to a bit over 4mb/s. These findings are pretty much identical in the Kansas City area, STL area, and the rural areas inbetween.

I've been waiting for a positive update from someone who flashed the old .17 radio..will give it a shot.

Either something is borked in the radio update or Sprint did something stealthy in the background (my guess is the former).

It was probably operator error when I had my HTC One M9 hooked up to my Windoz 7 PC, but I lost my Screenshots folder in the M9. It finally got so bad that not only was the screenshot not where I expected, I was not able to do any screenshots.

I tried to recreate the missing folder from the File Manager.  I was able to create such a folder with the desired folder name, but that by itself did not solve the problem.

The tech removed the folder that I made and proceeded as below.

This post is intended to share how the Sprint tech fixed my problem without a total phone reset.

In the System > APPS , find the top tab  ALL and select it.

http://i.imgur.com/MWxwxHx.png

Scroll down to System UI 

http://i.imgur.com/SBcjTIu.png   http://i.imgur.com/kJlUUGD.png

Clear everything out and Force Stop 

Cold boot the M9.  (power Off / wait a moment / power back on)

When the M9 powered back on, all was well.  I had the missing folder and I was able to do screen shots as before.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If I followed all his steps, then this post may help someone else.

It is possible that I missed something.

------------

Disclaimer - I am NOT that tech savvy.  IF you attempt to do this yourself instead of taking your M9 into the SPRINT store tech, you do so at your own risk..  I suggest you print this post as a clue to the Sprint tech person.

AJ

AJ

Sprint worldwide support (via chat) claims the M9 is a worldwide phone and is absolutely able to roam in Canada for both voice and data. Any ideas how they can make this claim if your findings say otherwise??

• Like 1