Samsung Galaxy S6 & S6 Edge User Thread

COZisBack

Am I really the only one here that has the camera that wont autofocus unless I shake it? My original and replacement phones both did it.

Mine works fine.

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

I dont have issues with the RF performance, it's the S6's desire to hold on B41 beyond where the phone can reliability provide data services.  The cutoff for this phone should really be around -115dBm before switching to another band.

The crossover from B41 to B25/26 on my nexus phones was much lower.  When I disable B41, my service works as expected.

As for the dropped call issue, I do all my calls over hangouts dialer so I haven't had any issues.  Data performance is solid for me while on a call.

I consistently have great experiences with ~-120dbm B41 signal on my note 4. Around 10 down/1 up in many areas. Just throwing it out there, I've never been stuck on an unusable B41 signal.

• Like 1

What network setting do you guys have yours on? I have mine on LTE/CDMA - is that right?

That's what I use too.

That's what I use too.

The phone comes preset on Automatic, at least mine was, so I wasn't sure.

Also, I have noticed that I do have a tendency to drop calls when driving and the handset switches from tower to tower. Sometimes just gets choppy, but others it will drop.

Didn't notice it initially because I don't talk alot when I drive.

Also, just started having texts fail at going through occasionally. They'll usually go through immediately on retry, which is odd too.

Just curious for those with the S6, when you do the dialer code (##DATA#) if you are able to change the LTE band priority for the CCA bands (B4, B12, etc)?  I know the current Sprint phones will allow you to change the LTE band priority for its own LTE bands.  Just curious if you could alter the non Sprint LTE band priorities.

The official Sprint community forum is filled with people complaining about voice connectivity issues with the S6 and S6E. How many people here are affected by this Sprint issue? Looking over other carriers' forums, they don't seem to have any voice issues.

From reading today, this certainly seems like it might be an ecfb issue. People are reporting no issues when putting the device into CDMA mode, basically making it 3G only. But as soon as you switch back to 4G the failed texts and dropped calls start again.

What's odd is this problem didn't seem to start for me until a few days ago. I don't remember having failed texts and dropped calls the first several days.

What do you think AJ and other network gurus (lol)?

Problematic e/CSFB should not cause dropped calls, only missed calls.

AJ

Problematic e/CSFB should not cause dropped calls, only missed calls.

AJ

Some are reporting that is well.

This is bad on Sprint. How do you not test this phone more extensively with your network? Wonder how long til they have an update...

Any guesses as to the issue? Just a radio firmware issue?

Would it help anyone if I post screenshots of engineering or SCP with it on LTE/CDMA and then CDMA?

My phone shows 1 bar of signal on LTE/CDMA and then when I switch it to CDMA only and the device resets it shows 4 or 5 bars immediately.

I know signal bars aren't exact science but clearly that shows some kind of issue, right?

I agree. ✌

:wacko:

On idle signal bars are indicating data signal, when you switch to CDMA its for 3G/Voice. When you initiate a call you will also notice your bars might jump higher due to it switching to CDMA. 

Samsung needs to fix their signal bar issue, it doesn't quite correlate properly with usable data. 

:wacko:

On idle signal bars are indicating data signal, when you switch to CDMA its for 3G/Voice. When you initiate a call you will also notice your bars might jump higher due to it switching to CDMA.

Samsung needs to fix their signal bar issue, it doesn't quite correlate properly with usable data.

Yeah I knew there was something funky with it, however switching to CDMA still results in the phone not dropping calls or failing text messages.

Would it help anyone if I post screenshots of engineering or SCP with it on LTE/CDMA and then CDMA?

My phone shows 1 bar of signal on LTE/CDMA and then when I switch it to CDMA only and the device resets it shows 4 or 5 bars immediately.

I know signal bars aren't exact science but clearly that shows some kind of issue, right?

The one bar thing is a LTE calculation error or something that has existed on several different phones since tri-band devices started. On Samsung phones it goes back to the S4 tri-band even. So that's a completely different issue where if you look at the raw signal RSRP for LTE on like a nexus or a phone on another provider something around say -105 is still shown as a good signal with probably a good 2-3 bars where as on these devices on Sprint that have this issue anything from -100 on down is represented as 1 bar.

Can someone explain to me as to why when I send a video or receive a video message that the resolution is grainy and small?

Can someone explain to me as to why when I send a video or receive a video message that the resolution is grainy and small?

Cause you are texting the video so it CRUSHES the quality to send it.  Here's a tip, don't send or receive those videos.  Lousy iphone users send that crap all the time to me and it's just frustrating.  perhaps iMessage sorts all that out for them.  Bottomline, use a service like G+ or Youtube to distribute videos.  Or something like Whatsapp.  Android hasn't got this one figured out yet. 

Cause you are texting the video so it CRUSHES the quality to send it.  Here's a tip, don't send or receive those videos.  Lousy iphone users send that crap all the time to me and it's just frustrating.  perhaps iMessage sorts all that out for them.  Bottomline, use a service like G+ or Youtube to distribute videos.  Or something like Whatsapp.  Android hasn't got this one figured out yet. 

Ok well that sucks. I thought there was something wrong with my phone. Whenever I sent a video I would get a text saying why is the video so blurry and small. I thought It was my connection but I stay at a low -105 all day. So I would just email the video to myself and save it on my iPhone and just send it from there. I hope android fixes this soon. Thanks for the information on this.

The one bar thing is a LTE calculation error or something that has existed on several different phones since tri-band devices started. On Samsung phones it goes back to the S4 tri-band even. So that's a completely different issue where if you look at the raw signal RSRP for LTE on like a nexus or a phone on another provider something around say -105 is still shown as a good signal with probably a good 2-3 bars where as on these devices on Sprint that have this issue anything from -100 on down is represented as 1 bar.

Yes there is an issue with how LTE is getting reported by RSSI instead of RSRP, but the difference in the signal bars is 100% because it's different tech that travels different distances, is more or less fragile, and is perceived differently by your phone.  You should read up on the technologies on this site.  It will probably answer a LOT of your questions.  See the FAQ thread in my signature.  It's S4GRU reading basics 101.   So as stated, this behavior is "normal".  We just all wish that Sprint reported their LTE like Signalcheck does so people wouldn't feel like they always have terrible 1 bar signal, when really that should be like 3 bars. 

Yes there is an issue with how LTE is getting reported by RSSI instead of RSRP, but the difference in the signal bars is 100% because it's different tech that travels different distances, is more or less fragile, and is perceived differently by your phone.  You should read up on the technologies on this site.  It will probably answer a LOT of your questions.  See the FAQ thread in my signature.  It's S4GRU reading basics 101.   So as stated, this behavior is "normal".  We just all wish that Sprint reported their LTE like Signalcheck does so people wouldn't feel like they always have terrible 1 bar signal, when really that should be like 3 bars. 

My other posts sort of got buried with this. I get that it gets reported differently.

Many have reported that the dropped calls and failed texts stop once they switch to CDMA instead of CDMA/LTE. I've seen the same. Is this a LTE radio issue?

Sprint can't make up their mind, half the time they blame Spark/tower upgrades and the other half the time they blame Samsung. Samsung blames Sprint.

I don't know if this has been posted here but my WiFi keeps turning on on its own and I was wondering if it's possible to shut that off?

Is connections optimizer turned on under mobile networks in settings?

Ok well that sucks. I thought there was something wrong with my phone. Whenever I sent a video I would get a text saying why is the video so blurry and small. I thought It was my connection but I stay at a low -105 all day. So I would just email the video to myself and save it on my iPhone and just send it from there. I hope android fixes this soon. Thanks for the information on this.

Dropbox works just as good to! I always upload vids there, and send them through link(s). Great crisp, clear quality.

Whats there for android to fix? Its an mms limitation. Your average smartphone now can take hd video, just a few seconds of 720p or higher video could easily run several mb's, a video that's several minutes could easily run several hundred mb's. So the best thing to do is to upload it where ever then send out links.