COZisBack

iPhone 6

iPhone 6 Plus

Nexus 6

LG G Flex 2

HTC One M9

Samsung Galaxy S6

Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge

I would agree 100% - this sounds spot on.

The biggest advantage with the iPhone is how well the radio firmware is optimized.  It just runs like butter.

For what it's worth I haven't had any issues to speak of. My edge been running smooth with no drop calls or any other noticeable bug, I have the gold 64gb.

I've been having fun trying to get Sprint to unlock my device.  First, they tried to give me my MSL (which was actually nice to have anyway), then they unlocked it internationally (it was neat to watch my phone randomly reboot a few hours ago when they sent the OTA unlock), now they are trying to fully unlock the device.

Things are moving slowly but I will say that the customer service over the phone has been exceptional every time.  They are just so much nicer than they used to be.

On the other hand, the store experiences in my area (Boston) still stinks big fat poopoo.  My wife received a defective S6 (simcard tray was jammed shut/defective).  At the corporate store, the store manager straight lied to my face multiple times saying that I had to call Sprint since I bought the phone from sprint.com.  So I called... and the phone rep told me it was clear as day that it is sprint's policy to replace defective handsets with new ones if you are within 14 days in the store for online orders.

Sprint phone care was exceptional - he actually quoted the sprint policy about replacement devices within the 14 day window, attached info into my file and said to head back to the Sprint store and I'd receive a new replacement device.  The manager was still a jerk but he exchanged it for a working phone.  It was hilarious watching him try to "prove me wrong" by pushing like hell on the SIM ejector pinhole with no luck.

Overall, I am glad call centers are upping their support level, it's extremely impressive.  Next up... improving the store experiences.

I would agree 100% - this sounds spot on.

The biggest advantage with the iPhone is how well the radio firmware is optimized.  It just runs like butter.

Just to be clear, note my parenthetical disclaimer.  I listed the current flagships in release order, not in hierarchical voice performance order.  But it may be coincidence that the iPhone 6 models are at the top of the list, the Samsung Galaxy S6 models at the bottom of the list.

Either way, I am not a good expert to ask about CDMA1X voice performance -- I make and take so few calls these days.  Plus, with single RF path and e/CSFB, my handset(s) idle on LTE basically all of the time.  Barring a rare blip to CDMA1X and/or EV-DO in an elevator or a basement, tri band LTE is the status quo.

AJ

Just curious, AJ.  What device do you currently use?

From 15 years on Sprint, I have used nine different handsets -- eight of which I still possess.  Currently, I have two active handsets.  A Nexus 5 for my lines on Sprint postpaid and T-Mobile prepaid.  And a 2014 Moto X for my line on Republic Wireless MVNO.

AJ

• Like 2

From 15 years on Sprint, I have used nine different handsets -- eight of which I still possess.  Currently, I have two active handsets.  A Nexus 5 for my lines on Sprint postpaid and T-Mobile prepaid.  And a 2014 Moto X for my line on Republic Wireless MVNO.

AJ

What made you decide on the N5?  Did you review the FCC docs prior to purchase?  How do you decide what your next phone will be?

(We can move this to PM if preferred.)

My wife gave me some feedback that her S6 is definitely having RF challenges at her work where her LG G2 connected fine. I sort of suspected that would happen. Would it help to switch the phone to 3G only when she is inside?

I was also thinking about getting her an LG G Pad 7 for free on my account. Is it known how good the RF performance on that tablet is?

I'm returning mine for a new one today.  It has the camera blur feature, which was not publicized by Samsung.  It turns out that the camera will only focus if you shake it fairly hard first.  If you don't it looks like you've got 20/2000 vision and you dont have your glasses on.

What made you decide on the N5?  Did you review the FCC docs prior to purchase?  How do you decide what your next phone will be?

Thanks AJ. Are you happy with the overall performance of the Moto X? And what about it's RF performance?

Yes, even though I purchased the Nexus 5 the first day it was available, I reviewed the FCC OET filing months earlier.  You might recall that I wrote a breaking news article on the Nexus 5 back in September 2013.  For S4GRU, it was one of our biggest scoops.  We were the first to publish and more mainstream tech sites followed suit.

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/blog/1/entry-351-teaser-is-the-lg-d820-the-nexus-5/

I chose the Nexus 5 because it was one of the first Sprint tri band handsets.  Plus, if purchased from Google Play, it was unlocked and could be used on AT&T and T-Mobile, too.  The non contract price was also very reasonable, making the Nexus 5 a low commitment handset.  In many ways, it was the perfect storm.

I have not reviewed the Nexus 5 ERP/EIRP figures in a long time.  And I do not recall the numbers being outstanding nor having great expectation for its RF performance before it was released.  But it has turned out to be one of the best Sprint LTE handsets of all time -- albeit baseband firmware version dependent.

I do think the 2014 Moto X now slightly beats the Nexus 5 overall in the RF department.  Though debatable, the 2014 Moto X presently may be the best RF handset on the Sprint network.  However, the operative phrase is "on the Sprint network."  It uses a Sprint SIM, but it is not technically a Sprint handset.  So, that disqualifies it from most consideration.

AJ

• Like 4

Ok my turn to finally chime in, my device has been so laggy (S6 Edge) I've also had finger scanner issues. The network for my phone is having trouble handing off and sometimes I'm just stuck on 3g. I tried PRL updates and profile updates but I get a connection error, so I can not update either. I called sammy to try to get a replacement and they said they do not offer replacements just repair. They want me to send my device away for 14 days without a phone. How ridiculous? What other options do I have. I see everyone is raving about this phone online but I am having unacceptable issues. Battery performance is extremely poor also.

Ok my turn to finally chime in, my device has been so laggy (S6 Edge) I've also had finger scanner issues. The network for my phone is having trouble handing off and sometimes I'm just stuck on 3g. I tried PRL updates and profile updates but I get a connection error, so I can not update either. I called sammy to try to get a replacement and they said they do not offer replacements just repair. They want me to send my device away for 14 days without a phone. How ridiculous? What other options do I have. I see everyone is raving about this phone online but I am having unacceptable issues. Battery performance is extremely poor also.

No issues here with lag or any other issues you are currently experiencing but let me ask you, is there any reason you called samsung directly instead of going back to the point of sale? Of course this is assuming you bought device for sprint.

No issues here with lag or any other issues you are currently experiencing but let me ask you, is there any reason you called samsung directly instead of going back to the point of sale? Of course this is assuming you bought device for sprint.

Ditto, most of the major retailers give you 2 weeks from purchase for return, also if it's defective I'm sure they'll replace it.

Just bought the S6 Edge and having the screen rotation problem that many owners are having.  Not really happy about this since I am on a SWAC account and there are no corporate stores within a 2 hour radius.

Just bought the S6 Edge and having the screen rotation problem that many owners are having. Not really happy about this since I am on a SWAC account and there are no corporate stores within a 2 hour radius.

I have no idea what a SWAC account is but you should be able to exchange it where you bought it.

Sent from my Note 4.

I bought it online on the advantage club store online.  You cannot return it at any Sprint store unless it is a corporate store on a SWAC account.

It is a huge pain to return a defective device on SWAC accounts.  I think I'm going to go HTC M9 this time because there are people saying they're on their 3rd edge with the same problem and Samsung still has no clue.

Edited by tsume

For anyone wonder what swac is its Sprint Wireless Advantage Club. Its the plan friends and families get. $40 unlimited everything with subsidies or $15 off any lease prices. Since its technically an employee account type only corp stores can touch it. I know when i see a swac customer i give them extra special treatment, you never known if they are related to some lowly rep or a DM or some VIP from sprint.

I don't know if i would switch to the m9, ive not been impressed with signal and ive seen a few with randomly freezng up issues including our store advocate device.

• Like 2

For anyone wonder what swac is its Sprint Wireless Advantage Club. Its the plan friends and families get. $40 unlimited everything with subsidies or $15 off any lease prices. Since its technically an employee account type only corp stores can touch it. I know when i see a swac customer i give them extra special treatment, you never known if they are related to some lowly rep or a DM or some VIP from sprint.

I don't know if i would switch to the m9, ive not been impressed with signal and ive seen a few with randomly freezng up issues including our store advocate device.

Go check the m9 thread, I won't clutter this thread up but that's not the impressions of our members.

My impression of the signal on the edge is that it performs very similar to the M8 in terms of where it gets LTE and where it stays on 3G.

I'm a bit miffed that Samsung won't come out and say if the rotation thing is a software or hardware problem, considering the volume of complaints on the issue.  Both times I talked to them their reps seemed totally clueless that this is affecting multiple people.  My thoughts on possibly going with the M9 instead weren't really regarding device reliability since I'm sure it has it's own issues, but more regarding my better experiences with their support.  Samsung support so far has been a bit of a joke I'm sad to say.  It's a shame because the edge is a really nice piece of hardware.

The m9 is a fantastic device actually. The only legitimate complaint would be the camera but there are ways around that with a few tweaks along with not using "tap to focus". As a matter of fact, as far as reliability and less software hiccups I would definitely give it to htc. Personally I haven't had any issues with either device though.

Currently unable to use phone without dropping a call.  Returning my S6 edge possibly for M9. Sprint already has escalation and I have word Samsung still doesn't have a fix for it.

Samsung & many reviewers say Gorilla Glass 4 is tough but I didn't want to take any chances since I only want to use ultra thin cases on my S6E. So I purchased & installed the IQShield front & back screen protectors (wet kind).

The install was super easy, no bubbles, smooth to the touch, and the shine and glitter of the phone shows through.

The only unknown is how scratch-resistant IQShield will be longterm. It'll hopefully hold up well until a proper tempered glass protector is made.

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

The official Sprint community forum is filled with people complaining about voice connectivity issues with the S6 and S6E. How many people here are affected by this Sprint issue? Looking over other carriers' forums, they don't seem to have any voice issues.

• Like 1

The official Sprint community forum is filled with people complaining about voice connectivity issues with the S6 and S6E. How many people here are affected by this Sprint issue? Looking over other carriers' forums, they don't seem to have any voice issues.

I think it's because the RF performance on B41 is not too good, but the device still hangs onto a weak signal anyways, thus resulting in missed calls due to low signal.

Am I really the only one here that has the camera that wont autofocus unless I shake it?  My original and replacement phones both did it.