Samsung Galaxy S6 & S6 Edge User Thread

COZisBack

It does seem to show more bars on weaker signals now if that makes sense

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

Do you have Signalcheck installed? Can you get an idea of bars to dBm? Before it was 1 bar at -100 dBm and lower (100 to 120). Many would be interested in this correlation if Samsung finally fixed this to be more representative.

sent from an underwater dust storm from my Sprint S5

6b92eac07eb59d756ee3737403c87168.jpg

It shows bars very different now. I believe it may factor in signal quality now to if that's possible. For example in the picture i have a -113 dbm signal yet half of my bars are lit up. Thats because this a fast band 41 with CA. In other places though i will have around an -85 dbm signal and it will show low bars or half of the bars. There is a certain tower i drove by today that i know is very congested (band 25 with speeds of around 1 to 3 mbps with a -85 dbm signal) and when i drove by with the -85 dbm signal my bars were at the second to lowest level. On average though i will have full bars until about -98 dbm then it starts falling. There are some places where signal is good but bars are low and vice versa. Also they now have a no bars option. It used to be that u always had at least one bar. Now ive noticed that sometimes when my band 26 is at around -116 dbm or worse it will show no bars.

• Like 4

have you check the Sponsor map for colorado to see how far you are from the towers?http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/5624-colorado-nv-maps-and-discussion/

CA in *#0011* will say "not configured" until you actually latch on to a CA enabled B41 tower and actively using CA

when ##data# say CA is enabled, you should see SCC being listed in ##DEBUG# under LT engineering, when CA is disable there would be no lines for SCC at all.

see pic 5 and 6 here

http://imgur.com/a/JlC0O/all

Next SCC information only pop up when the state is connected, when IDLE the SCC seem to be dropped. the RSRP type information on the SCC doesn't seem to show up until you are actively downloading something (large)

Sprint CA is only on B41, there is currently no CA on B25 or B26. I don't know about Denver, but even in Chicago based on my own observation at least 75% of the B41 tower aren't CA enabled yet

Do i need the latest update if i manually enabled ca i live on long Island and commute to ct every day and have not seen any ca yet i just don't want to lose root with no knox trip

Edited by robthide37

Do i need the latest update if i manually enabled ca i live on long Island and commute to ct every day and have not seen any ca yet i just don't want to lose root with no knox trip

What version are you on? The most recent one fixes the stage fright bug.... so depends on if you don't mind having that bug or not. Stage fight can turn your phone into a zombie phone under someone else control. Why do you need root? If it's just for tethering there is a method to tether without meeting root

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

• Like 1

6b92eac07eb59d756ee3737403c87168.jpg

It shows bars very different now. I believe it may factor in signal quality now to if that's possible. For example in the picture i have a -113 dbm signal yet half of my bars are lit up. Thats because this a fast band 41 with CA. In other places though i will have around an -85 dbm signal and it will show low bars or half of the bars. There is a certain tower i drove by today that i know is very congested (band 25 with speeds of around 1 to 3 mbps with a -85 dbm signal) and when i drove by with the -85 dbm signal my bars were at the second to lowest level. On average though i will have full bars until about -98 dbm then it starts falling. There are some places where signal is good but bars are low and vice versa. Also they now have a no bars option. It used to be that u always had at least one bar. Now ive noticed that sometimes when my band 26 is at around -116 dbm or worse it will show no bars.

I agree, the signal bars now represent the connection's performance rather than the signal strength, which is much better for the consumers. I can't count how many times someone complained to be that I only have one bar of LTE but in reality their speed is 20Mbps and on the flip side how many times someone has said "nothing is loading, but I have full bars" (signifying congestion like at a sporting event, etc...)

• Like 2

Correct me if im wrong but i thought signal bars had nothing to do with lte. I was under the impression that it only showed voice signal.

You would be correct for older devices. Many B25 only devices showed signal strength for 1x (voice) and not for LTE.

Tri-band devices have always shown signal strength for LTE since they can't connect to the 1x signal while connected to LTE

Sent from my Note 4.

• Like 1

You would be correct for older devices. Many B25 only devices showed signal strength for 1x (voice) and not for LTE.

Tri-band devices have always shown signal strength for LTE since they can't connect to the 1x signal while connected to LTE

Sent from my Note 4.

You are right just tested and sinal bars seem accurate for the first time!! Both shots were taken as the signal was moving by the way.

post-8026-0-39723900-1440610221_thumb.png

post-8026-0-94559300-1440610231_thumb.png

• Like 1

What version are you on? The most recent one fixes the stage fright bug.... so depends on if you don't mind having that bug or not. Stage fight can turn your phone into a zombie phone under someone else control. Why do you need root? If it's just for tethering there is a method to tether without meeting root

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

I'm on oe2 right now i don't use many features of root besides debloat but i do eventually want to flash rom when better ones are available and i like being able to edit build prop plus am waiting on xposed

Also i turned off auto retrieve to not be vulnerable

I have ca on it says not configured though i have been on many 41 sites in long Island and southern ct and have not seen it active so am wondering if it is my software revision

Edited by robthide37

Now I'm upset i lost root did update and still no ca plus remembered adaway is a huge reason i like being rooted

sorry just saw this now and replying, but seem too late...

I assume  you have custom recovery? maybe you can downgrade to the previous version where you have root.

if you wanted to keep root, never update until a root is develop for that version, updating to the unmodded samsung fimrware 

ALWAYS break root....  New update would not have affect CA as the phone was capable of CA since the begining i think.  I definitely was able to get CA before the 5.1 update.  Whether you get CA or not has more to do with if the TOWER in your area is CA enabled at this point, rather than the phone.  if your phone said CA not config, that meant the phone is already CA enabled but no CA tower in the area.  otherwise it would have said CA disabled.  

For those of you that have had the S6 or S6edge from near launch day, can you please discuss

• any pet peeves with the S6 or S6edge? 
  • has the phone slowed down after months of usage? (camera or apps take longer to open, multitasking button takes longer to pop up) - very concerned about this one as it seems to plague Samsung phones after a few months
  • have you had days where the battery dies very quickly for no apparent reason?  (classic samsung)
  • any issues with bluetooth streaming music, etc. 

S6 edge users, was the edge worth it?  Do you use any of those features besides it looking very neat? 

I think I've finally seen all the phones I'd consider for the year (with rumors) and I'm not impressed by the lack of some features like WiFi calling on the upcoming Nexus as well as the MotoX Pure.  I'm not thrilled at all about the non-removable battery on the S6 and lack of waterproofing, but I think it's inevitable that this is still the best phone.  I am going to go compare the S6 and the Note 5 in stores, Best Buy has some sales now on the S6.  I swore off Samsung up and down, but honestly the screens and cameras make it hard to stay away, even with the duplicative services and Samsung bloat.  I've looked at the LG G4 and the size is too big for my tastes and LG's software is meh.  They're slow on updates too.  Samsung and Sprint aren't terrible.  If the subsidized phone is leaving Sprint in 2016, I'll have to use mine before the end of this year.  Might as well get a few more months out of it anyways.

• Like 1

For those of you that have had the S6 or S6edge from near launch day, can you please discuss

• any pet peeves with the S6 or S6edge?
  • has the phone slowed down after months of usage? (camera or apps take longer to open, multitasking button takes longer to pop up) - very concerned about this one as it seems to plague Samsung phones after a few months
  • have you had days where the battery dies very quickly for no apparent reason? (classic samsung)
  • any issues with bluetooth streaming music, etc.
S6 edge users, was the edge worth it? Do you use any of those features besides it looking very neat?

I think I've finally seen all the phones I'd consider for the year (with rumors) and I'm not impressed by the lack of some features like WiFi calling on the upcoming Nexus as well as the MotoX Pure. I'm not thrilled at all about the non-removable battery on the S6 and lack of waterproofing, but I think it's inevitable that this is still the best phone. I am going to go compare the S6 and the Note 5 in stores, Best Buy has some sales now on the S6. I swore off Samsung up and down, but honestly the screens and cameras make it hard to stay away, even with the duplicative services and Samsung bloat. I've looked at the LG G4 and the size is too big for my tastes and LG's software is meh. They're slow on updates too. Samsung and Sprint aren't terrible. If the subsidized phone is leaving Sprint in 2016, I'll have to use mine before the end of this year. Might as well get a few more months out of it anyways.

Got my S6E early on preorder & I still love this phone. Currently, I'm on stock, rooted OE2 5.0.2. As a result, it's probably not as smooth as on the latest 5.1.1 firmware but there has been nothing wrong or annoying for me on 5.0.2.

I consistenly get about 4 hrs of SOT, the camera still snaps open pretty fast, and multitasking has been good. The widely reported RAM issue pops up once in a while but it hasn't been annoying enough for me to take the 5.1.1 update.

No regrets getting this phone. I'd still choose this over the S6E Plus and the Note 5.

• Like 2

My wife has had the S6 since launch. It still runs faster in general than my S5, camera is open and snapping pics with the double tap to the home button almost instantaneously.

It is on the most recent update and the signal bars actually show real signal now.

Only problem is battery life...she'll have to charge it by 10 pm just about every day (she uses her phone around 15 - 20 mins every hour). Screen is the biggest battery drain apparently. However, fast charging makes up for it quite nicely - she can have 10% then put it on the charger for 10 mins and have around 60% charge again.

I suspect fast charging is why Samsung feels comfortable with a sealed battery compartment.

My wife has had the S6 since launch. It still runs faster in general than my S5, camera is open and snapping pics with the double tap to the home button almost instantaneously.

It is on the most recent update and the signal bars actually show real signal now.

Only problem is battery life...she'll have to charge it by 10 pm just about every day (she uses her phone around 15 - 20 mins every hour). Screen is the biggest battery drain apparently. However, fast charging makes up for it quite nicely - she can have 10% then put it on the charger for 10 mins and have around 60% charge again.

I suspect fast charging is why Samsung feels comfortable with a sealed battery compartment.

I am currently testing out the s6 edge from using usually an iPhone 6. I can definitely agree with the battery life. I've only been awake for 31 minutes and used the phone on and off and I'm already at 94% battery life....

Bluetooth music streaming still gets choppy, seems better with the latest update (5.1.1) but I really was hoping the S6E wouldn't have this problem.

Battery life is short but fast charging is great.

The phone in general is still fast and it has never froze or locked up on me. The edge is more useful than you would think. And very customizable. I love the clock feature at night and you can set it to come on and turn off at any time you like.

The latest update added apps edge, I have not used it.

The latest update made the stock icons look like iPhone icons.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

My S6e is showing a second DL channel but it doesn't show any signal data for the second carrier. Any thoughts?

Speed test seem to show second carrier active.

It only shows during an active download session.  Try starting a speedtest, then immediately switch over to the LTE engineering screen and you should see the SCC signal data.

Also try to get as close to the tower as possible for faster speed, if you are getting 40+ mbps at -101db, its possible you may get over 100mbps when your signal strength is better than -80db (ideally low -70)

• Like 1

Is there a setting where I can tell my phone to use b26 instead of b41? I'm in downtown Nashville and my phone keeps latching onto the clearwire B41. Above - 100db it's just terrible.

Is there a setting where I can tell my phone to use b26 instead of b41? I'm in downtown Nashville and my phone keeps latching onto the clearwire B41. Above - 100db it's just terrible.

What phone are u using