Samsung Galaxy S6 & S6 Edge User Thread

COZisBack

Whats there for android to fix? Its an mms limitation. Your average smartphone now can take hd video, just a few seconds of 720p or higher video could easily run several mb's, a video that's several minutes could easily run several hundred mb's. So the best thing to do is to upload it where ever then send out links.

Why doesn't Hangouts allow you to send videos, being that you can send messages in another form than MMS?

Whats there for android to fix? Its an mms limitation. Your average smartphone now can take hd video, just a few seconds of 720p or higher video could easily run several mb's, a video that's several minutes could easily run several hundred mb's. So the best thing to do is to upload it where ever then send out links.

I mean for Hangouts to handle higher bandwidth applications like voice messages and video like iMessage handles. Not for texting videos, that'll never be fixed and shouldn't be an option post 2003.

sent from an underwater dust storm from my Sprint S5

• Like 1

Ok well that sucks. I thought there was something wrong with my phone. Whenever I sent a video I would get a text saying why is the video so blurry and small. I thought It was my connection but I stay at a low -105 all day. So I would just email the video to myself and save it on my iPhone and just send it from there. I hope android fixes this soon. Thanks for the information on this.

There is a feature on the s6 called Simple sharing. It allows you to share large files like videos with your contacts. I've only used it a couple times. I think it works well. It sends a link of the video.

Why doesn't Hangouts allow you to send videos, being that you can send messages in another form than MMS?

I mean for Hangouts to handle higher bandwidth applications like voice messages and video like iMessage handles. Not for texting videos, that'll never be fixed and shouldn't be an option post 2003.

sent from an underwater dust storm from my Sprint S5

Honestly, I seldom ever use hangouts but I would think that it would still have to do with bandwidth/file size concerns. Even with imessage, I don't use iOS and even if they allow for higher quality video to be sent over their service I can almost guarantee that there is a file size limitation and/or compression being done so as to not destroy someone's data plan.

Thanks guys for the advice. I'm just so accustomed to using IOS because when it comes to iMessage I can send high quality videos within the texting app and the other person gets it in the same quality. I just thought something was wrong with my s6 when I sent a video out and my friend asked why it was blurry but that is due to mms compression.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks guys for the advice. I'm just so accustomed to using IOS because when it comes to iMessage I can send high quality videos within the texting app and the other person gets it in the same quality. I just thought something was wrong with my s6 when I sent a video out and my friend asked why it was blurry but that is due to mms compression.

Because it's not really a texting app. It uses data to send the video instead of the Sprint Voice/Text network. iMessage is certainly pretty slick and is how Hangouts should work.  The user shouldn't really be bothered with how it's getting to the end user whether it's text or "chat".  In iMessage case if its between iphones, it knows that and uses chat (with data optimization or server syncage or something).  If you are sending to a non-iphone user, it'll use MMS.  My sister does it to me all the time with videos and it's super annoying. 

There very well could be issues with the Samsung radio in these phones. Love them or hate them nobody does it quite like Qualcomm.

I thought for Verizon & Sprint Galaxy S6's, it IS Qualcomm radio? B/c of CDMA, no?

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

How has LTE performance been for the S6 and S6 Edge so far?  I know the article that AJ wrote several weeks made it sound like the RF performance on the S6 and S6 Edge would not be as strong as it was on the S5?  Anyone have any first hand comparison between the S6 and S5 or any other LTE phone.  I still deciding what LTE phone to upgrade this year and I was curious how real world RF performance is like.

How has LTE performance been for the S6 and S6 Edge so far?  I know the article that AJ wrote several weeks made it sound like the RF performance on the S6 and S6 Edge would not be as strong as it was on the S5?  Anyone have any first hand comparison between the S6 and S5 or any other LTE phone.  I still deciding what LTE phone to upgrade this year and I was curious how real world RF performance is like.

It probably depends on who you ask but for me lte performance has been more than acceptable thus far, no complaints at all.

LTE performance has been okay. On average about -5db worse than my N5.

There have been issues with dropping calls and failed texts for many on Sprint. A Google search will pull up many posts on Sprints Forums. I've had some issues with it.

Hoping a radio firmware update is in the works.

My Lte experience with the s6 has been ok. Compared to my iPhone 6. The speeds are the same but my only data issue is with loading. My s6 will take longer to load things whereas my iPhone 6 just breezes through it. For example when getting on Instagram. My iPhone just automatically refreshes and the images appear. My S6, no images come up just the username and the caption. But the images come up a few seconds later.

There very well could be issues with the Samsung radio in these phones. Love them or hate them nobody does it quite like Qualcomm.

I thought for Verizon & Sprint Galaxy S6's, it IS Qualcomm radio? B/c of CDMA, no?

Yes, the 3GPP/3GPP2 (i.e. CDMA2000) variants got the Gobi MDM9635 standalone baseband -- now known as the Snapdragon X7 LTE.  I suppose the Samsung S333 baseband also could be included just for LTE, but that seems doubtful.  Either way, I think Sprint may have gotten a compromised version, one that was not given as much engineering focus -- because it does not go the full Samsung chipset complement, but still uses a Qualcomm chipset.

AJ

Could these issues possibly be based on specific locations? I am asking because I am hearing all these issues yet I haven't experienced any of them on my edge or my m9.

How has LTE performance been for the S6 and S6 Edge so far? I know the article that AJ wrote several weeks made it sound like the RF performance on the S6 and S6 Edge would not be as strong as it was on the S5? Anyone have any first hand comparison between the S6 and S5 or any other LTE phone. I still deciding what LTE phone to upgrade this year and I was curious how real world RF performance is like.

My real world experience has been very positive. I'm getting LTE in locations I didn't get before with my old S4 (non-triband). And in areas I did get LTE before, I'm getting stronger signals & faster speeds.

And luckily, I haven't been affected with the dropped calls & missed calls issues.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

The irony in your last statement is that you are discounting the observations of many others in favor of the observations of you and your wife. "A few people's observations are not indicative of the entire user experience" could be directed right back at you.

Regardless, RF ERP/EIRP is not subjective -- it is quantitative. In our S4GRU article, we showed that the Galaxy S6 lab measurements did not compare well to those of its predecessor and its competitor. Now, real world measurements show likewise. That is not debatable.

AJ

Of course your going to hear more from the unhappy users. Most of the happy users are going to be silent. I have no issues with my S6 edge even though it clearly doesn't compare to my S5 RF wise it's still a good phone.

Could these issues possibly be based on specific locations? I am asking because I am hearing all these issues yet I haven't experienced any of them on my edge or my m9.

I too am wondering if it is market based, like if it's an ALU market, etc... That's all highly above my pay grade though.

Of course your going to hear more from the unhappy users. Most of the happy users are going to be silent. I have no issues with my S6 edge even though it clearly doesn't compare to my S5 RF wise it's still a good phone.

The fact that you have to state that it's not as good as the S5 tells a diiferent story. RF performance is a big issue to users like myself that have suffered for 2 years with a phone like the Evo LTE. I learned my lesson about purchasing a phone that is considered to be a bad RF performer. (Especially since this phone is supposed to be an overall improvement from its S5 predecessor. Its definitely not a good sign from Samsung)
  • Like 1

If anybody is keeping score, my third S6 had a properly working camera.  All is right in the world again.

I've had my s6 now for over 2 weeks. I can say that true signal performance is less than my note 2, but the experience is still the same. No dropped calls or texting issues that i didn't already have before. I have had no interruptions in data service either. I live in a somewhat rural area so no dense spark yet.

I'm in Tampa the next two days for work and the downtown area here is heavy b41. My data and calls so far haven't had any trouble.

That's great to hear. Is it legacy Clear or mostly Sprint B41?