Samsung Galaxy S6 & S6 Edge User Thread

COZisBack

Just got back from the Sprint store with a full-price S6 (ouch!). Will try chat sometime between now and Monday to get this puppy unlocked. If I have to call, that'll wait 'til Monday. Will post back here with the results, including my experience on what happens when I put a Ting T-Mo SIM in the newly unlocked device.

Looking forward to hearing about your results.

Based on my own research & personal experiences, I have concluded that Sprint has the worst domestic unlocking policy & procedure among the Tier 1 carriers. The best one is AT&T, then Verizon, then T-Mobile, and Sprint in last place.

AT&T is easy because they're GSM & use Persos to simply punch in an unlock code - received from AT&T themselves or through an unlocking website.

Verizon is 2nd b/c all their LTE phones are already domestic unlocked out of the box thx to their agreement with the FCC. I popped in my AT&T SIM from my Nexus 5 into my friend's Verizon Note Edge & everything just worked - voice, text, MMS, data (up to HSPA+) after I input the correct APN.

Once T-Mobile gives you the unlock code, you put the code into their unlocking app.

Now Sprint, they will just give you the MSL number and that's it. There is no Persos popup menu.

I was able to perform the international UICC unlock with the MSL, however.

Through modem locking, you cant open the Service Menu to do the correct GSM/WCDMA provisioning. Level 2 Sprint tech support blames lack of training for its inability to provide steps on doing domestic unlock with the MSL code they give you. They also incorrectly blamed Samsung for not having a popup menu when it's Sprint who bought the phones from Samsung then modified it this way themselves.

I have a ticket open with the Samsung Voice Support team who will get back to me next week. I'll report what I find out.

The headache I got from Sprint's technical incompetency is why I'm liking unlocked phones more & more these days. I recently bought an unlocked Note 4 (pink N910C) for my wifey's first Mother's Day present and it's just so easy & frustration-free not having to deal with carrier crap.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

For some reason with dfu and cdma workshop i can't get prl to stick i can read phone and read the prl but will not write it i was able to flash corporate prl 56025 on the note 4 no problem i do feel that the stock prl would connect to lte more often but the corporate prl Def allowed true 3g roaming

Looking forward to hearing about your results.

Based on my own research & personal experiences, I have concluded that Sprint has the worst domestic unlocking policy & procedure among the Tier 1 carriers. The best one is AT&T, then Verizon, then T-Mobile, and Sprint in last place.

AT&T is easy because they're GSM & use Persos to simply punch in an unlock code - received from AT&T themselves or through an unlocking website.

Verizon is 2nd b/c all their LTE phones are already domestic unlocked out of the box thx to their agreement with the FCC. I popped in my AT&T SIM from my Nexus 5 into my friend's Verizon Note Edge & everything just worked - voice, text, MMS, data (up to HSPA+) after I input the correct APN.

Once T-Mobile gives you the unlock code, you put the code into their unlocking app.

Now Sprint, they will just give you the MSL number and that's it. There is no Persos popup menu.

I was able to perform the international UICC unlock with the MSL, however.

Through modem locking, you cant open the Service Menu to do the correct GSM/WCDMA provisioning. Level 2 Sprint tech support blames lack of training for its inability to provide steps on doing domestic unlock with the MSL code they give you. They also incorrectly blamed Samsung for not having a popup menu when it's Sprint who bought the phones from Samsung then modified it this way themselves.

I have a ticket open with the Samsung Voice Support team who will get back to me next week. I'll report what I find out.

The headache I got from Sprint's technical incompetency is why I'm liking unlocked phones more & more these days. I recently bought an unlocked Note 4 (pink N910C) for my wifey's first Mother's Day present and it's just so easy & frustration-free not having to deal with carrier crap.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

How did you do unlock with msl and also if you do ping pong root you won't trip knox and can edit your build prop to enable service menus

18160498758_d961935195_b.jpg

So after a few calls, Sprint finally sent the OTA unlock code to my phone.  I didn't have to do anything, my phone rebooted on its own, did an update, and I was presented with that message.

T-Mobile works fine however Sprint is nice enough to make sure you cannot have GSM/UMTS/LTE.

It's either CDMA/LTE or GSM/UMTS.

Doesn't seem like you can put in an international sim and get LTE...

So, it seems like people need to buy the device, have sprint unlock it, then root the device to add hidden dialer menus so you can allow LTE to work with a non-sprint SIM.

If this is the case, it's pretty crummy Sprint goes out of its way to disable LTE on any non-Sprint SIM.

Anyone else played around with this?

• Like 2

18160498758_d961935195_b.jpg

So after a few calls, Sprint finally sent the OTA unlock code to my phone. I didn't have to do anything, my phone rebooted on its own, did an update, and I was presented with that message.

T-Mobile works fine however Sprint is nice enough to make sure you cannot have GSM/UMTS/LTE.

So, it seems like people need to buy the device, have sprint unlock it, then root the device to add hidden dialer menus so you can allow LTE to work with a non-sprint SIM.

If this is the case, it's pretty crummy Sprint goes out of its way to disable LTE on any non-Sprint SIM.

When I had my s6 unlocked I got that message. I popped in a T-Mobile sim and it showed only the spinning 3G logo but I had to make a call and then hang up for the lte Logo to appear. It was missing features like the volte and hd calls that T-Mobile has but overall it worked. The only problem I had was when I took out the T-Mobile sim and put back in the sprint sim. When I did that the phone locked back up and wouldn't take any other sim but sprints.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I had my s6 unlocked I got that message. I popped in a T-Mobile sim and it showed only the spinning 3G logo but I had to make a call and then hang up for the lte Logo to appear. It was missing features like the volte and hd calls that T-Mobile has but overall it worked. The only problem I had was when I took out the T-Mobile sim and put back in the sprint sim. When I did that the phone locked back up and wouldn't take any other sim but sprints.

Hrm, ok, thanks for the info - i'll try making a call!  Thanks for sharing your experience

Hrm, ok, thanks for the info - i'll try making a call! Thanks for sharing your experience

Your welcome. Unlocking is not cut and dry with Sprint but it is what it is.

Your welcome. Unlocking is not cut and dry with Sprint but it is what it is.

I've been able to swap sims around but haven't tried making a call.  Not sure why I didn't think of trying that.

Under Mobile networks -> Network mode  did you have it set to automatic or GSM/UMTS?

I've been able to swap sims around but haven't tried making a call. Not sure why I didn't think of trying that.

Under Mobile networks -> Network mode did you have it set to automatic or GSM/UMTS?

At first I switched it to GSM/UMTS but some odd reason the phone wouldn't work at all so I put it back at automatic. You're lucky to be able to swap sims. After my device locked back up I didn't even bother to call back sprint it felt energy draining lol.

• Like 2

At first I switched it to GSM/UMTS but some odd reason the phone wouldn't work at all so I put it back at automatic. You're lucky to be able to swap sims. After my device locked back up I didn't even bother to call back sprint it felt energy draining lol.

Haha, energy draining indeed.

I'm going to swap in an AT&T sim later today.  We'll see how that goes...

• Like 1

I found out how to unlock sim galaxy tools will allow you to do it use ping pong root and then it is a one click affair in galaxy tools also will have access to real engineering screen and much more

Also for aj as sensitivity is great but transmission is not would it make sense to disable antenna diversity as the secondary antenna will absorb some signal from what i have read can be 5 to 10 db depending on placement

How did you do unlock with msl and also if you do ping pong root you won't trip knox and can edit your build prop to enable service menus

International unlock was done with Galaxy Tools.

So after a few calls, Sprint finally sent the OTA unlock code to my phone. I didn't have to do anything, my phone rebooted on its own, did an update, and I was presented with that message.

I think our S6E only supports T-Mobile's band 4 AWS + HSPA.

So when you put back Sprint's SIM card, you got the Invalid SIM message again?

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

Which Sprint department ended up doing the domestic unlock for you?

International unlock was done with Galaxy Tools.

I think our S6E only supports T-Mobile's band 4 AWS + HSPA.

So when you put back Sprint's SIM card, you got the Invalid SIM message again?

Yup. When I put in the Sprint sim it went though the profile and prl updates. A few hours later I put back in my T-Mobile sim and got the invalid sim message which I didn't get before. I even went back into settings and went to the uicc unlock and it said that this device is locked to use sprint SIM card only or whatever that message said. But I had got my device unlocked a week after the phone was released so I don't know if that had to do with anything. I called in originally and I got my msl code and they rep said the unlock would fully process in 15 to 20 mins.

• Like 1

Yup. When I put in the Sprint sim it went though the profile and prl updates. A few hours later I put back in my T-Mobile sim and got the invalid sim message which I didn't get before. I even went back into settings and went to the uicc unlock and it said that this device is locked to use sprint SIM card only or whatever that message said. But I had got my device unlocked a week after the phone was released so I don't know if that had to do with anything. I called in originally and I got my msl code and they rep said the unlock would fully process in 15 to 20 mins.

I wish Sprint would stop dicking around & implement a proper domestic unlock process. If AT&T devices weren't bootloader locked, I would switch right away.

And I wish Samsung would follow Apple & sell an unlocked model for the USA with bands for all 4 carriers.

Are you gonna contact Sprint again for unlocking?

• Like 1

I wish Sprint would stop dicking around & implement a proper domestic unlock process. If AT&T devices weren't bootloader locked, I would switch right away.

And I wish Samsung would follow Apple & sell an unlocked model for the USA with bands for all 4 carriers.

Are you gonna contact Sprint again for unlocking?

I agree. Samsung followed in some ways apple this long why not just make a straight unlocked device with all us bands. I called them last week about 2 times about it but they keep saying it was unlocked when it's really not. I gave up cause I don't have the strength nor energy to go back and forth with them. I went though the same thing with my 6 plus and them saying its unlocked but apple is saying its not. I gave my s6 to my brother cause he likes it. I did tell myself that I refuse to deal with sprint when it comes to unlocking and instead I'll just buy my iPhone's unlocked from apple.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Also for aj as sensitivity is great but transmission is not would it make sense to disable antenna diversity as the secondary antenna will absorb some signal from what i have read can be 5 to 10 db depending on placement

I suppose that other antennas -- via absorption or induction -- could be reducing ERP/EIRP in at least some planes/vectors.  That is an interesting theory.

But any second cellular antenna is Rx only, not Tx.  And how would you disable it?  Physically remove it?  Would you do the same for Wi-Fi/Bluetooth?

If you are not happy with the RF performance, my suggestion would be to move on to another handset, rather than to make possibly disastrous engineering changes.

AJ

I found setting to disable it can be set to both primary secondary or diversity if you go to test menu in galaxy tools or i belive through dialer codes you go to ue settings and info

Settings

System

Diversity control

Their is seperate settings for cdma umts and WiFi however i would assume when lte is transmitting that the other antennas wouldn't be operating as our whole no svdo situation so they wouldn't be pulling signal and i would think it's worth checking if having WiFi enabled causes issues with losing lte which could explain turning off connections optimizer as wifi is 2.4 or 5 so the 2.4 will be attenuated at a close frequency to b41

I found setting to disable it can be set to both primary secondary or diversity if you go to test menu in galaxy tools or i belive through dialer codes you go to ue settings and info

Settings

System

Diversity control

I have Galaxy Tools 3.18 but don't know how to access the UE settings. What steps do I need to take?

Are you able to access the GCF setting to set phone to WCDMA/UMTS?

I have Galaxy Tools 3.18 but don't know how to access the UE settings. What steps do I need to take?

Are you able to access the GCF setting to set phone to WCDMA/UMTS?

Yes you can change network settings and in galaxy tools select iothiddenmenu then test mode

Also their seems to be alot of bands supported by our hardware i am looking for a way to enable them maybe put phone into dev or eng mode

What is your interest in this?  And is this even a Sprint variant Samsung Galaxy S6?  If so, three of those seven bands are not relevant to the US.  The others are the CCA/RRPP bands, but enabling them is not going to do anything.  Sprint has not activated CCA/RRPP roaming, which is controlled network side.

AJ

What is your interest in this? And is this even a Sprint variant Samsung Galaxy S6? If so, three of those seven bands are not relevant to the US. The others are the CCA/RRPP bands, but enabling them is not going to do anything. Sprint has not activated CCA/RRPP roaming, which is controlled network side.

AJ

None for me but as far as everyone talking about unlocking it may be relevant to them

Also in response to changing antenna settings if you go to ##testmenu# in galaxy tools their is a mrd setting that had options for different modes as well not sure if it is just testing or changing them