Samsung Galaxy S6 & S6 Edge User Thread

COZisBack

yes, I know it's subjective, but to have to cripple your phone with ultra power saving modes for long stretches of the day as he did, just to make it to 10pm?  That's not "great" battery life.  If he's fine with that procedure, then more power to him, but I'm not sure anyone would consider that "great".  Great battery life would be to have the phone last that long in the day without using any battery saver tricks.  I would very impressed with that performance. 

For the most part, battery performance is definitely well below average but fast charging definitely makes up for it.

• Like 2

With my usage habits, I'm getting 5 hrs SOT on the S6E. With a new battery inside, I get about 4 & 1/2hrs SOT with my Nexus 5. On the Note 4, about 7 hrs.

Phone is not crippled down. I just turn off WiFi & data when not being used and location is set to Battery Saving.

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

I'm starting a new job in June, and they gave me a choice between a company-issued iPhone 6 or Galaxy S6, so I went with the S6 because I already own an iPhone.

This is my first foray into Android, and my first Samsung phone. Got any tips for a total n00b?

I'm starting a new job in June, and they gave me a choice between a company-issued iPhone 6 or Galaxy S6, so I went with the S6 because I already own an iPhone.

This is my first foray into Android, and my first Samsung phone. Got any tips for a total n00b?

Google services everywhere oh and... SIGBALCHECK PRO, LTE DISCOVERY, AND the Samsung engineering screen(only applicable to sprint) !

Sent from my Nexus 5

• Like 1

Google services everywhere oh and... SIGBALCHECK PRO, LTE DISCOVERY, AND the Samsung engineering screen(only applicable to sprint) !

Sent from my Nexus 5

I think you had a typo in there. It should be "enginerring" screen. [emoji3]

Sent from my Note 4.

Sent from my Nexus 5

Unfortunately, I think the corporate line is on AT&T. I was really hoping I could beg for a Nexus 6 on Project Fi, but alas... not in the cards.

• Like 1

Opt for this mammajamma

xZnBkp0l.png

• Like 1

Opt for this mammajamma

xZnBkp0l.png

The red and gold I think is a great color combination, the iron man mask on the back on the other hand makes it look like utter garbage.  

• Like 2

The red and gold I think is a great color combination, the iron man mask on the back on the other hand makes it look like utter garbage.

I agree. They could have did away with that. But really based on how the phone looks it seems like your obligated to use that Iron man wallpaper to make the phone look nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have Verizon variant, but got the standby time right where I like it. 

Few notable tweaks:

- Locations set at GPS only

- WiFi while sleep only when plugged in.

- Removed the bloat, etc.

hjgZ2TVl.png

• Like 1

Ok guys so I did it!  I went ahead and took advantage of Sprints 24 month lease of the GS6 Edge where you get the 20 dollar a month credit back. So I played around with the edge and the regular GS6 for a while to see which one I liked best.  I noticed better signal on the edge model.  Anyone else  notice this?  I know that display models vary from store to store considering they are almost always on, but I played around on both of them and also noticed that boot time was a slight bit quicker on the edge variant.  I am loving the battery life/wireless charging.  Anyone get a chance to take full use of the octa core processor in these phones yet?  I am happy that Sprint gave me the MSL right away, So I was able to disable Band 26 when I am at my home, as the Band 25 signal (may be weaker) but it definitely is much faster than the Band 26 that is constantly trying to be latched onto by my phones.  I noticed quite a bit of difference in radio performance over the Galaxy S5.  Much improvement.  Anyone know if there are any good cases on the way for the Edge model of this phone?  I know there are a few for the standard model, but they don't fit the edge.  Well hope everyone has a great weekend.

So a follow up on radio performance:

It seems to LOVE band 41, very odd.  I am magically getting band 41 in my office which has NEVER happened on my Nexus 6 or Nexus 5.

Unfortunately, the signal is extremely week (serving cell: 101 Band:41 RSRP:-121dbm RSRQ: -12dB, Tx Pwr: 23 dBm)

The other interesting aspect is the speeds.  There is a band41 site that I can usually get 50-70mbit but I can't get over 20mbit on the S6.  Seems very odd.

Also, it's kinda cool seeing the band priority offering 7 different bands.  Also, LTE roaming was an option... I turned it no, not sure what that will do for me...

Is it Sprint B41 or Clear B41?  I noticed on the models I was playing around with along with the one I just got that it latched onto the Clear b41 more than anything.  Could have been the area.  Who knows.  But anyway.  Just figured id ask.

Thanks again! It looks quite different than on Shannon 333 based S6: http://i.imgur.com/SvEALjN.png

This looks like it could be a perfect device for discovering sites with Carrier Aggregation enabled. Especially for Chicago users!

But the weirdest part is that according to your screenshot Sprint is shipping these devices with CA disabled. Not sure what's the reason behind this, but that could typically be enabled once the user has root access.

I noticed in the settings once you get into ##3282# with your MSL it has an option for CA and its unchecked.  I checked the box.  So we shall see if that does anything once CA is active in my area.  No need for root access to enable CA.  You just need the MSL, which took me all of 5 minutes to get from the tech rep.  I waited for them to pick up 20 minutes then 5 minutes of asking for the code.  And now its enabled.  Not sure when I will be able to truly test it out though.

They need to retune when B41 drops off.  It hangs on too long.  At -120dBm on this phone, it should really be falling down to B25 or B26.  Data essentially times out and packetloss goes through the roof.

We've been having issues with missed calls because of the phone sitting on B41 with such weak signal and too much packet loss.  Calls don't ring the phone unless you disable B41 in ##DATA#.

I get that Sprint is trying to offload capacity to B41 but with the equipment around here, it's just too much.

Do you per chance know if you was connected to a clear site or a sprint site for B41 when this happened?  I had this happen on my Nexus 6 a lot when I was connected to clear b41 butnot sprint b41.

Has anyone who paid full price for their Galaxy S6 or S6E managed to get Sprint to Domestic Unlock their phones? Per the new law, one is entitled to the unlocking if the device was paid in full.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

I have Verizon variant, but got the standby time right where I like it.

Few notable tweaks:

- Locations set at GPS only

- WiFi while sleep only when plugged in.

- Removed the bloat, etc.

hjgZ2TVl.png

What do you mean by Wifi while sleep?

You are missing my point. The update may have just inflated the RSRP figures -- as many claimed the .15 baseband firmware did on the Nexus 5. That only means higher numbers, not necessarily stronger signal. Unfortunately, we really have no way to judge this objectively without expensive diagnostic equipment. So, real world testing in fringe coverage and low signal locations is our best substitute for objective RF performance testing.

AJ

My question is then even before update i noticed that my s6 will go to b41 when my note 4 will stay on b25 or 26 and before update had better signal on 41 or any band than note 4 but we know transmission power is low however at this point that doesn't seem to be a factor in connecting to b41 sites however i do notice if i am browsing it is fine but during speed test runs it will switch to b25 or 26 in middle of upload as i am on fringe of b41 i even had a m9 for couple of days which wouldn't connect to b41 at my house meanwhile i can walk inside with gs6 hold b41 if by front door or window until i try and use any data. Now my real question that will make all this important is apparently gs6 is very sensitive as far as reception so if it supports cross carrier aggregation for b26 or 25 and 41 then these phones will be amazing as it seems that current tower signal levels are already at the point where gs6 runs out of tx power way before signal becomes weak on rx end

Has anyone who paid full price for their Galaxy S6 or S6E managed to get Sprint to Domestic Unlock their phones? Per the new law, one is entitled to the unlocking if the device was paid in full.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Just got back from the Sprint store with a full-price S6 (ouch!). Will try chat sometime between now and Monday to get this puppy unlocked. If I have to call, that'll wait 'til Monday. Will post back here with the results, including my experience on what happens when I put a Ting T-Mo SIM in the newly unlocked device.

• Like 1

Does the galaxy s6 support carrier aggregation across ltt/fdd or only one or other and also does it support mfbi or that is a network side feature

Now my real question that will make all this important is apparently gs6 is very sensitive as far as reception so if it supports cross carrier aggregation for b26 or 25 and 41 then these phones will be amazing as it seems that current tower signal levels are already at the point where gs6 runs out of tx power way before signal becomes weak on rx end

No current Sprint devices support FDD carrier aggregation, only band 41 TDD 2x carrier aggregation.  And FDD-TDD carrier aggregation will be a long time coming -- certainly not this year.

AJ

...and my camera stopped working. Updated to the latest SW and rebooted the phone as part of that...nothing. Too late to head back to the store now but will soon enough. Looks like others have had this issue and couldn't work around it. Front camera works, back camera doesn't...confirmed by *#0*#.

/me flips table

What about mfbi dies that have to be supported on the phone and does gs6 support i just returned my note 4 and got a second galaxy s6 i an wondering if i should have kept the note 4 as it seems to have been better with upload speeds on lte i just hated no roaming bands or ca but if mfbi is network side only i really well kick myself as 26 and 25 are supersets of other bands. I also am assuming if it is going to be a long time away 25 41 ca is not on msm 9635 and only the 810 supports this feature. I do like the note 4 and i guess stronger cat4 is better than weaker cat6 especially if it really won't come into play for at least a year but i get very indecisive and love the gs6 but note battery life is great as well