Samsung Galaxy S6 & S6 Edge User Thread

COZisBack

Great news. Now see if they can get samsung to fix the lte signal strength bars on their devices. Lol

Wishful thinking

I have tried with John Saw.  We need more people complaining about it.

On the latest S6 firmware I am getting 5db-7db better on B41 comparing to the S5 side to side.

Great news if others confirm. What are other people seeing?

Well, to rain on the parade, that could be just number inflation -- what many claimed the infamous, unreleased .15 baseband did for the Nexus 5.

Regardless, the latest firmware certainly has not increased the weak uplink ERP/EIRP, since that requires a Class II filing with the FCC.

AJ

Once I get through the next couple weeks with feedback, I plan to bring the issue up with them and see what she thinks.

I have tried with John Saw. We need more people complaining about it.

So would a post in the sprint community be the place to start?

Well, to rain on the parade, that could be just number inflation -- what many claimed the infamous, unreleased .15 baseband did for the Nexus 5.

Regardless, the latest firmware certainly has not increased the weak uplink ERP/EIRP, since that requires a Class II filing with the FCC.

AJ

We have non updated S6, which the device has an average 3dBm-4dBm better RSRP than my S5.  With the latest firmware, we have seen upwards to 7dBm better than the S5 at the same location.  It is noticeable because the new firmware on our S6 idles in the 90s comparing to the S5 in the 100s in our office.

Edit:  this is on B41.  On Band 25 it's only a few dBm better.

So would a post in the sprint community be the place to start?Edit

Executive level.  There are several hundreds complaints on Sprint community of 1 bar LTE signal and nothing has been done.  So far, I only been getting from the executive level "We are always looking at this issue and will continue to make sure that our device bars are well calibrated." 

• Like 1

We have non updated S6, which the device has an average 3dBm-4dBm better RSRP than my S5. With the latest firmware, we have seen upwards to 7dBm better than the S5 at the same location. It is noticeable because the new firmware on our S6 idles in the 90s comparing to the S5 in the 100s in our office.

Interesting.

We have non updated S6, which the device has an average 3dBm-4dBm better RSRP than my S5.  With the latest firmware, we have seen upwards to 7dBm better than the S5 at the same location.  It is noticeable because the new firmware on our S6 idles in the 90s comparing to the S5 in the 100s in our office.

You are missing my point.  The update may have just inflated the RSRP figures -- as many claimed the .15 baseband firmware did on the Nexus 5.  That only means higher numbers, not necessarily stronger signal.  Unfortunately, we really have no way to judge this objectively without expensive diagnostic equipment.  So, real world testing in fringe coverage and low signal locations is our best substitute for objective RF performance testing.

AJ

• Like 1

Is battery life a little better with this update?

Mine appears to have improved decently with the phone sleeping much better. I was experiencing the cell standby issue where my cell standby would be by far my highest use unless i used the screen a lot. It wasn't uncommon for my standby to say it had used 10-15% of the battery by the end of the day and be number 1 use of battery. Since the update i haven't seen it go over 4-5% usage by the end of the day but it still seems a bit high. Before i was seeing with lighter use about 2 hours screen on and my total time not over about 16 hours much, since the update i've been able to get 3 hours out of the screen with the total time sitting closer to 20 hours pretty easily.

It hasn't been a massive difference and i'm not sure if it might just be a placebo effect but it has felt better for sure. Though I feel like they still have some issues they could continue to work on to improve it where they have improved some issues draining the battery but have not completely fixed them.

You are missing my point.  The update may have just inflated the RSRP figures -- as many claimed the .15 baseband firmware did on the Nexus 5.  That only means higher numbers, not necessarily stronger signal.  Unfortunately, we really have no way to judge this objectively without expensive diagnostic equipment.  So, real world testing in fringe coverage and low signal locations is our best substitute for objective RF performance testing.

AJ

Ahh got it.   :D

S6 update is good over here. The same trip my mother takes to work would drop at minimum of 4 calls. Max was 8. Now 0 all 4 times. There and back.

Same here, I have been driving all over the city with no drop calls.  Software definitely fixed the drop calls issue.  

• Like 1

Sprint pushing out a bug fix update for the Samsung Galaxy S6 edge

http://www.androidcentral.com/sprint-pushing-out-bug-fix-update-samsung-galaxy-s6-edge

Uh, this is the same update we've been talking about right here in this thread for the last 2 days.

• Like 3

Executive level.  There are several hundreds complaints on Sprint community of 1 bar LTE signal and nothing has been done.  So far, I only been getting from the executive level "We are always looking at this issue and will continue to make sure that our device bars are well calibrated." 

It's a shame people don't realize how little "bars" mean. In most cases, it's completely irreverent to the experience the user will receive.  Indoors at my work, I get 1 "bar" of LTE B41 and still get pings under 80ms and data speeds greater than 15mb.  

"Bars" are practically useless.   

Uh, this is the same update we've been talking about right here in this thread for the last 2 days.

Sorry about. But I just look at the current thread at where it is I don't go all the way back through the entire thing.. Either way it happens but I try not to post things that are already being discussed. :) 

So I plan on upgrading tonight at the Sprint Store to the S6 64gb so it seems that for the most part people seem to like the device. Is there any particular settings that people have turned off that seemed to help with the performance of the device or that should just be turned off anyway? 

So I plan on upgrading tonight at the Sprint Store to the S6 64gb so it seems that for the most part people seem to like the device. Is there any particular settings that people have turned off that seemed to help with the performance of the device or that should just be turned off anyway? 

Out of the box the device performs very well, better than any previous samsung device....as it should. Touchwiz is still annoying though and its not as fluid as sense.

Out of the box the device performs very well, better than any previous samsung device....as it should. Touchwiz is still annoying though and its not as fluid as sense.

Yeah reading around sounds like some thought that this version of Touchwiz was better than previous versions but still good to know. I'm kind of interested to see how well the Tap & Go feature will work to see how well it ports things over from your old device to the new. Have you tried any of the wireless chargers I was thinking about getting one of the Samsung flavored ones. Thanks for the feedback as well.. :) 

Yeah reading around sounds like some thought that this version of Touchwiz was better than previous versions but still good to know. I'm kind of interested to see how well the Tap & Go feature will work to see how well it ports things over from your old device to the new. Have you tried any of the wireless chargers I was thinking about getting one of the Samsung flavored ones. Thanks for the feedback as well.. :)

Touch wiz is better but thats not saying much.  Right now I use a ravpower wireless charger I got off of amazon and it works great and chargers fast.  Not as fast as using the included usb wall charger but when using wireless charging it still charges much faster than my m9 charges using the standard htc wall charger. 

I'm using one of Samsung's older wireless charging pads, I think the one designed for the S4.

This one:

http://www.shopandroid.com/samsung-wireless-charging-pad/5A233A16833.htm

It works well and I like the raised edges around the outside of it. The S6 sits nicely on it easily getting optimal positioning and I've had no issues with it sliding around which the newer Samsung ones have been more prone to since the phone just sits on top and it uses rubber too try to hold it in place.