3/20/2015 Sprint Spark Coverage Map updated

clbowens

I just checked the Sprint coverage map.  It looks like they updated it to show a lot less Spark and 4G coverage.  Looks like they are updating it to show more accurate coverage.  Good!

Chillicothe, Ohio and Washington Courthouse, Ohio updated.

LA Metro hasn't been updated yet from what I can tell. I did fill out the survey that pops up when you go to the coverage maps. I pleaded for a modern, legible and responsive design that shows accurate coverage.

I also suggested a toggle for estimated average indoor coverage. (Yes, I realize the problems with this.)

I almost suggested this 3 step plan:

1. Team up with Sensorly to provide map data.

2. Enlist S4GRU members to drive around to fill in the maps.

3. Reward those members with discounts on their phone bills and provide matching contributions to S4GRU.

Now shows Stuebenville and Wintersville, OH

LA Metro hasn't been updated yet from what I can tell. I did fill out the survey that pops up when you go to the coverage maps. I pleaded for a modern, legible and responsive design that shows accurate coverage.

I also suggested a toggle for estimated average indoor coverage. (Yes, I realize the problems with this.)

I almost suggested this 3 step plan:

1. Team up with Sensorly to provide map data.

2. Enlist S4GRU members to drive around to fill in the maps.

3. Reward those members with discounts on their phone bills and provide matching contributions to S4GRU.

I think we all would like more accurate maps, but at the same time, all the carriers overstate their coverage and having accurate maps will be a negative when potential customers are looking at coverage maps between different carriers.

I think we all would like more accurate maps, but at the same time, all the carriers overstate their coverage and having accurate maps will be a negative potential customers are looking at coverage maps between different carriers.

I disagree.  Say a customer joins Sprint because they see they have extensive Spark coverage in their area from the coverage maps.  Then when they actually use their phone in those areas and find out there's actually no coverage there, they will jump ship.  I equate that to lying.

I'm not saying that Sprint is the only one that may be doing this, I'm just saying I would rather see an accurate coverage map compared to an exaggerated or inaccurate one.

But that's just me.  :-)

If you lie to a customer they may never come back.

In some ways fixing coverage is easier than fixing animosity toward a company.

And since there's a plan to improve coverage why not just be transparent?

• Like 3

Coverage maps should be as accurate as possible for outdoor coverage.  Granted there are variations for phone model RF performance and ground clutter.  But, by and whole, they can be made accurate for outdoor coverage.  And Sprint needs to improve drastically in this arena, with map sizing, quality and accuracy.

As for indoor coverage, there is no way to accurately map that.  There is so much variability to building type, roofing type, antenna mounting height and downtilt differentials relation to how they handle certain wall and building types and other factors that it would be INSANE to create indoor coverage maps.  Since the map would only be accurate for 1 person in 20, the other 19 will feel it is inaccurate.

No carrier can guarantee or suggest that indoor coverage will be available at any location.  Not even the duopoly.

• Like 7

None spark coverage is accurate if the tower not optimize. In delaware they all are under 1 mile to 1000 yards signal. The clear towers up 2 miles with good speeds.

It's interesting that the last two times they've added spark coverage portrayal on these maps, they've not made any "official" launch announcements.

I don't think they want to make any launch announcements about false coverage. Haha.

They won't announce a launch until there is enough coverage over the city. But they are now starting to show Spark coverage available in advance of launch in many instances.

Using Moto X² on Tapatalk

• Like 2

I personally think it is good business sense to show it as soon as they have it (with reasonable accuracy).  Previously I have seen Sprint take a year to show existing coverage, during which time many potential customers did not know such coverage was available (nor most local Sprint sales representatives).

• Like 4

Spark is available in Moab???

Sort of.  It's on.  But appears not to be full power or full backhaul support.  But it's on now.