HELP NEEDED! network.sprint.com has added some new sites, please cull your area and submit to this thread!

Shentel is a Sprint affiliate. Its a private company that pays Sprint to use its network/spectrum and name. Sprint only has two affiliates left. Shentel (in your area) and Swiftel (in S. Dakota).

For the most part, Shentel is a good affiliate that provides superior performance in its rural and tertiary markets than Sprint does. Also, Shentel will have a mostly fiber backed network with NV/LTE.

Robert - Posted from my E4GT with ICS using Forum Runner

• Like 2

Explain "Shantel" please. Is that a subcontractor or former wireless company?

from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sprint_Nextel

Affiliates

In the early stages of network build-out, Sprint relied significantly on network partners known as affiliates to rapidly expand its coverage. These affiliates would lease Sprint's PCS spectrum licenses in a specific geographic area, typically rural areas and smaller cities, and provide wireless service using the Sprint brand. Sprint provided back-end support such as billing and telephone-based customer service, while the affiliates built and maintained the network, sold equipment to customers, and staffed the retail stores in their specific regions. Sprint customers could "roam" across Sprint-operated and affiliate-operated portions of the network without being aware of the distinction, and vice-versa. Outwardly, efforts were made by the affiliates and Sprint to make it appear as if the network was operated by a single entity under the Sprint name, though complex revenue-sharing agreements were in place which were very similar in nature to cross-carrier roaming tariffs. In later years, the relationship between Sprint and its affiliates grew contentious, particular after Sprint's acquisition of Nextel.

Affiliate Acquisition

In 2005, Sprint Nextel acquired three of its ten wireless affiliates: US Unwired, acquired in August; Gulf Coast Wireless, acquired in October; and IWO Holdings, acquired in October. Alamosa PCS, which Sprint Nextel acquired on February 2, 2006, was the largest of its affiliate carriers. Other acquired affiliates include Ubiquitel, iPCS, Enterprise, and Northern. Of Sprint's original ten affiliates, only two, Shentel and Swiftel, now remain.

Affiliates of SprintNextel Corp. and Sprint Rural Alliance

CDMA Affiliates: Swiftel in Brookings, South Dakota; Shentel in northern Virginia, and parts of Pennsylvania, Maryland and West Virginia.

Sprint Affiliates are those carriers who use the Sprint name to offer their services yet operate their own network and use Sprint SIDs.

• Like 1

Shentel is a Sprint affiliate. Its a private company that pays Sprint to use its network/spectrum and name. Sprint only has two affiliates left. Shentel (in your area) and Swiftel (in S. Dakota).

For the most part, Shentel is a good affiliate that provides superior performance in its rural and tertiary markets than Sprint does. Also, Shentel will have a mostly fiber backed network with NV/LTE.

Robert - Posted from my E4GT with ICS using Forum Runner

The affiliates also got money for out of market sprint phones using their towers. Kinda like some intra-company roaming. It also went the other way as well. I knew someone in billing at US Unwired and they would monitor people that moved didn't change their addresses on their account.

I found a new tower east of Redlands, CA on interstate 10. I can't figure out how to post the picture. When I figure it out I'll post it.

Josh and Rickie had some good suggestions for this. See posts 66, 67, and 75.

Just now saw this topic. I'll get a screen of the Indianapolis one up and another I saw in the Greenwood area of Indy.

eGhn2.png

downtown Indianapolis.

hOYfc.png

Just east of Greenwood.

Cheers.

Side note, for a quick image host, imgur.com works fine for me. You don't even need to make an account.

Edited by Contreramanjaro
  • Like 1

Three new sites in the Boston, MA area:

Boston University campus near the intersection of Babbitt St and Cummington St (N 42.34924 W 71.10518). Street view shows a roof mounted site at that intersection on the BU College of Engineering building.

Dudley St and Columbia Rd in Dorchester, MA (N 42.31713 W 71.06543). Nothing visible on google maps.

Bowdoin St. and Quincy St. in Dorchester, MA (N 42.30803 W 71.06508). There's a very tall flagpole visible on the satellite view that isn't there in the street view, so this may be a new Sprint monopole. Street view does have a roof mounted site visible on the Pasciucco public housing building at 330 Bowdoin St.

0SxTy.jpg

Edited by ahecht

I only have a total of 2 towers in my area but they are getting some upgrades, my singal around here is pretty sorry and im only maybe at the most 2 miles from the tower

https://network.spri...m/search/48653/

There are more than 2 sites in your area. See my map below. The network.sprint.com website only shows sites that have received or will receive temporary upgrades in a six month window. This map, and many others are available in our Sponsors section.

gallery_1_1_26414.jpg

Click on image to Enlarge.

• Like 2

Robert:

I live in NYC in the borough of Queens and I noticed that there are 6 new towers I believe it was but Queens has over 100 towers and I got tired of clicking the towers to see which one they were.

Also in the borough of the bronx, there are 3 new towers I believe but again, there are so many that I couldn't find which one they were.

I believe in Lyndhurst, NJ there was also 1 new tower.

Sorry I couldn't post the pics but I hope this has helped.

Regards,

Walter

Edited by Wfmets45
  • Like 1

The answer why is financial. Right, wrong or indifferent. Sprint is banking on getting the network down to 38,000 sites. However, in my opinion, there are less than 1,000 iDEN sites that Sprint would need to keep. Ideally, Sprint should convert these 1,000 sites to Sprint CDMA/LTE in Network Vision to expand and fill in coverage holes. Louisiana would be one of the chief areas impacted for the good with my Nextel conversion plan.

This really is the only noteworthy negative comment I have on Sprint and Network Vision. It is a huge missed opportunity. :imo:

Robert

How does one locate the iDen towers that are being Decom'd? I had to get my parents an AirRave and my old man used to get great nextel service...

• Like 1

How does one locate the iDen towers that are being Decom'd? I had to get my parents an AirRave and my old man used to get great nextel service...

All Nextel iDEN sites will be decommissioned. The only variable is when. About one third in 2012, the last two thirds in 2013.

Robert

Sorry if this has been addressed guys, but if I see that a tower in my area is due for a "data speed upgrade" does that indicate NV/LTE deployment or just some other speed enhancements?

Sorry if this has been addressed guys, but if I see that a tower in my area is due for a "data speed upgrade" does that indicate NV/LTE deployment or just some other speed enhancements?

The data speed enhancements shown at network.sprint.com are just temporary upgrades to help bridge to Network Vision upgrades. Data speed upgrades in this instance are one or two additional T1 lines to help increase 3G speeds. These are not associated with NV/LTE deployment at all.

Robert

The data speed enhancements shown at network.sprint.com are just temporary upgrades to help bridge to Network Vision upgrades. Data speed upgrades in this instance are one or two additional T1 lines to help increase 3G speeds. These are not associated with NV/LTE deployment at all.

Robert

Thank you. So does network.sprint.com indicate in any way when or if a tower is slated for NV/LTE deployment?

Thank you. So does network.sprint.com indicate in any way when or if a tower is slated for NV/LTE deployment?

No it does not. And I don't know if they will ever use it for that purpose.

Nope. Not at all. Closest thing you will find to that is the maps in our Premier Sponsor section. We have maps of the first 22,000 NV sites with schedule dates as of 3/31/2012.

Robert

Nope. Not at all. Closest thing you will find to that is the maps in our Premier Sponsor section. We have maps of the first 22' date='000 NV sites with schedule dates as of 3/31/2012.

Robert[/quote']

Hmm guess that means I'll have to work on reaching that premium level if I want to satisfy my curiosity. Just have to figure out how to justify the 100 bones to my wife...

Hmm guess that means I'll have to work on reaching that premium level if I want to satisfy my curiosity. Just have to figure out how to justify the 100 bones to my wife...

It's a good cause. It's what keeps us online. We are a not for profit site. All our PayPal donations go to pay our ever increasing expenses. The only thing I pay for personally out of donations is coffee. To fuel my late nights working on S4GRU.

Robert

It's a good cause. It's what keeps us online. We are a not for profit site. All our PayPal donations go to pay our ever increasing expenses. The only thing I pay for personally out of donations is coffee. To fuel my late nights working on S4GRU.

Robert

Oh I believe it! It's why I contributed the first time. It's getting her to believe it. I'll make it happen. It just won't be overnight. I believe in paying for things which give me value.

• Like 1