Sprint handset upgrade policy change applies retroactively! 3/1 changed to 7/1

bitslizer

Previously all upgrade eligibility changes i.e. from 20 months to 24 months only take effect upon the NEXT upgrade..... I saw a blurb about eligibility changing again on the Jan/Feb bills taking effect on 3/1/2015 but it did not specify this is retroactive to all users so I didn't pay it much attention.

I have 2 lines due for upgrade 3/1/2015 even as of mid Feb when I last checked on the Sprint website.

To my horror going to the website today (3/1/2015) and trying to upgrade I found that now I can't upgrade until 7/1/2015!!!!!

W T F !!!

making me wait till 3/1/ to upgrade and  then on the dot on 3/1 saying I can no longer upgrade???

NOT COOL!

Sprint's own forum is starting to fill up with users in the same boat.

https://community.sprint.com/baw/community/buzzaboutwireless/customer-service

I would encourage anyone in the same boat to get in touch with Sprint... the more users who cry out about this the more likely we can get our Upgrade back.

If Sprint does not get this taken care of, I'll be taking my 4 lines 10+ years account elsewhere when the contracts on each line are up

• Like 1

No, you cannot get "your upgrade" back -- the operative word being "your."  Any upgrade before your contract has been completed is a perk, not a possession nor a right.  And Sprint can change that perk at any time.  Whether that is a wise business decision for Sprint, though, is debatable.

Regardless, people, we have had this conversation before.  When you sign a two year contract, you are not accruing actual earned eligibility toward your next upgrade.  You are only paying down your current subsidy.

And sometime in the coming years, many subs mid contract will have their upgrade eligibility disappear entirely -- because Sprint will cease to offer any new contract subsidy plans.  The future is non contract, non subsidy.  Upgrade at full price or in installment payments whenever you want.

AJ

• Like 1

Previously all upgrade eligibility changes i.e. from 20 months to 24 months only take effect upon the NEXT upgrade..... I saw a blurb about eligibility changing again on the Jan/Feb bills taking effect on 3/1/2015 but it did not specify this is retroactive to all users so I didn't pay it much attention.

I have 2 lines due for upgrade 3/1/2015 even as of mid Feb when I last checked on the Sprint website.

To my horror going to the website today (3/1/2015) and trying to upgrade I found that now I can't upgrade until 7/1/2015!!!!!

Same here. Was 5/1, now 11/1

How odd. Before my son's and daughter's eligibility date was 04/01/2015. I just checked and apparently they're both eligible to upgrade now. In fact, the eligibility date for both of them was set back to 08/01/2014

2015-03-01 11.06.01.jpg

I can confirm that younhave to be in your 24th month to upgrade. Ive had several people today that came in to upgrade that previously had 3/1 upgrafes and now show 7/1. Sprint still rolls upgrades to the first of the month so even if you contract ends 7/30/2015 you can upgrade 7/1/2015.

• Like 1

This would bring Sprint inline with att and vzw who have had the 24 month requirement in place for more than two years now. The carriers just need to end subsidies all together, it would simplify their offerings.

• Like 4

This would bring Sprint inline with att and vzw who have had the 24 month requirement in place for more than two years now. The carriers just need to end subsidies all together, it would simplify their offerings.

I prefer subsides, paying for Sprint Fusion unlimited Data with 3GB tether for $65. Of course the cost of iPhone for $299 64GB. Since i am keeping it for 2 years it is much better paying extra $30 something a month for the phone.

Sprint quite possibly made this move to bring contract expiration, upgrade eligibility, and device unlocking policy all into sync.

• Like 3

They could have done so as they have to change the upgrade eligibility upon the next upgrade.

I have had it with Sprint. They kept doing this to me. Last time when I finally qualify for premier yearly upgrade they canceled premier, then I upgraded and shortly after they went from 22 month to 20 month upgrade cycle, now I was finally on the 20 month cycle and they yank it out from under me the very same day I can take advantage of it.... T-Mobile is looking awfully attractive as you says that sprint will eventually remove the subsidy upgrade option, and I highly doubt whatever plan they force people to change to will not come with an effective price increase

If you check on the website it's likely pushing you toward the way pay upgrade I'm guessing and not the traditional subsidy upgrade

How odd. Before my son's and daughter's eligibility date was 04/01/2015. I just checked and apparently they're both eligible to upgrade now. In fact, the eligibility date for both of them was set back to 08/01/2014.

2015-03-01 11.06.01.jpg

They could have done so as they have to change the upgrade eligibility upon the next upgrade.

I have had it with Sprint. They kept doing this to me. Last time when I finally qualify for premier yearly upgrade they canceled premier, then I upgraded and shortly after they went from 22 month to 20 month upgrade cycle, now I was finally on the 20 month cycle and they yank it out from under me the very same day I can take advantage of it.... T-Mobile is looking awfully attractive as you says that sprint will eventually remove the subsidy upgrade option, and I highly doubt whatever plan they force people to change to will not come with an effective price increase

What would be different at T-Mobile? They no longer have 2 year upgrades.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Crapatalk

Nothing, so what is to keep me at sprint? I will even have the options get unlocked phones like one plus one at a good discount which sprint will never get. Tmobile will pay my etf, so I don't even need to wait till my contacts are up

Nothing, so what is to keep me at sprint? I will even have the options get unlocked phones like one plus one at a good discount which sprint will never get. Tmobile will pay my etf, so I don't even need to wait till my contacts are up

Then go. Go get what you believe best meets your needs be whatever requirements you have. 

• Like 2

If you check on the website it's likely pushing you toward the way pay upgrade I'm guessing and not the traditional subsidy upgrade

or incetivizing you to choose easy pay and the new plans. The hand writing is on the wall for the traditional subsidy model, people complained and complained about how wireless companies where scamming them into rip off contracts and now the industry is moving to no contracts and people complain about pay the cost of the phone. in the end nothing is changing on the price of things overall the money is just getting shift around and the industry is becoming more transparent with the cost of the equipment and that is a good thing.
  • Like 6

Sprint quite possibly made this move to bring contract expiration, upgrade eligibility, and device unlocking policy all into sync.

It's a good jumping off point for transitioning customers away from the subsidy model if Sprint elects to do so, too.

• Like 2

If Sprint does not get this taken care of, I'll be taking my 4 lines 10+ years account elsewhere when the contracts on each line are up

Whiny but empty consumer threats are *sooo* community.sprint.com

• Like 8

You are then going to have to turn in your current phone, if broke they probably wouldn't buy out your contract. Then you are stuck with an ETF, a new phone bill, cost of phone. Is a few months that big of a deal given new Devi es will be out by then?

Nope. Just got back from the Sprint store. My daughter has been bugging the hell out of me for a new iPhone for quite some time so I went to check it out. It was indeed the subsidized upgrade price, $199.99 plus tax for a 16GB iPhone 6. :)
  • Like 2

Nope. Just got back from the Sprint store. My daughter has been bugging the hell out of me for a new iPhone for quite some time so I went to check it out. It was indeed the subsidized upgrade price, $199.99 plus tax for a 16GB iPhone 6. :)

Good for you.   :tu:  *back to my corner sulking*

or incetivizing you to choose easy pay and the new plans. The hand writing is on the wall for the traditional subsidy model, people complained and complained about how wireless companies where scamming them into rip off contracts and now the industry is moving to no contracts and people complain about pay the cost of the phone. in the end nothing is changing on the price of things overall the money is just getting shift around and the industry is becoming more transparent with the cost of the equipment and that is a good thing.

That is fine, and I'm expecting to goto the phone installment plan option down the road, but they should let people know right from the start when they begin service (new contract or new phone installment plan).  Not change the way upgrade eligibility in the middle of someone service... especially ON THE DAY they are due for the upgrade you take it away from them

• Like 3

You are then going to have to turn in your current phone, if broke they probably wouldn't buy out your contract. Then you are stuck with an ETF, a new phone bill, cost of phone. Is a few months that big of a deal given new Devi es will be out by then?

All my phones are working so i won't have any problems turning them in so they can pay for the ETF.

Cost of new phone... I'm supposed to be getting new phones anyway. what's the difference if the cost is already baked into the existing Sprint subsidy plan? just now breaking it out into the monthly phone installment plan w/ cheaper service plan instead.

Isnt this a change in the contract?

How is it a change in the contract?  Early upgrade eligibility is a perk, not a contractual obligation.

AJ

• Like 3