LG G4 User Thread (Was: Rumor Thread)

JThorson

Not well.  It does not hold up against the Snapdragon 810 either.

In the flagship specs fight, LG is going to take it on the chin with this one.  LG is already an afterthought compared to Samsung and HTC.  Using the hexa core Snapdragon 808 in what is now an octo core world just puts LG even further out in left field.  The G4 will have to be sold at a tremendous discount straight out of the gate in order to compete with the other flagships.

AJ

Looks like the 808 is official per the Anandtech article:

http://anandtech.com/show/9199/lg-announces-the-g4-5-5-inch-qhd-with-snapdragon-808

That is disappointing...Sprint seems to be banking all its money into Samsung/Apple.  Lame.

Well, it's the safe bet with those two.  They spend a lot on advertising and have the lion's share of the market.

I'm likely not getting the G4 either and might wait to see if the next Nexus comes down in size in the Fall.  This is uncharted territory for me, I've always had a new phone every 12 months like clockwork, now I'm approaching month 12 without any phone that ticks all my boxes.  

• Like 1

That is disappointing...Sprint seems to be banking all its money into Samsung/Apple.  Lame.

Unless it is priced well below the flagship level, the LG G4 will not be a big seller.  Sprint probably knows that already, hence the limited options.

AJ

Well, it's the safe bet with those two.  They spend a lot on advertising and have the lion's share of the market.

I'm likely not getting the G4 either and might wait to see if the next Nexus comes down in size in the Fall.  This is uncharted territory for me, I've always had a new phone every 12 months like clockwork, now I'm approaching month 12 without any phone that ticks all my boxes.  

My father desperately needed an upgrade from his S3 so I gave him my HTC One M8 and went back to the LG G2.  I was hopefuly for the G4, but will likely pass on that if the Nexus is a good size this year.  I'm sure Google's learned their lesson with the size.

I was hopefuly for the G4, but will likely pass on that if the Nexus is a good size this year.  I'm sure Google's learned their lesson with the size.

Google may have learned its lesson when it comes to phablet size, but do not assume it has learned about size in the opposite direction.  If Google is following current trends and experimenting, the next Nexus might be just a watch.

"Calling Dick Tracy…"

:P

AJ

Not sure if this was posted but good break down echoing AJ's comments about the 808: 

http://www.phonearena.com/news/LG-G4-benchmarked---how-does-the-Snapdragon-808-fare_id68814

Overall, not many people are going to notice with the 808 in there, but I think it's other internals also will become a hindrance to the performance of a power user, notably the older storage they're using and the older GPU.  Maybe Qualcomm and LG have tuned it all to really work great in real world performance?  Time will tell, but on paper, it certainly isn't blazing flagship speeds like it should be in 2015. 

I'll still be interested in the RF measurements when those docs pop up. 

Honestly I think I would have rather seen an 805 in the phone. Being as the battery life and heat promises of the 810 were vicious lies and the benefit of 64 bit is not worth the trade off. Not that I blame Qualcomm, they were working with the best they had. Apple making a big stink about 64 bit forced their hands before the 64 bit custom code and 14nm process were ready. Off the shelf big Arm cores tend to not be power and thermally competitive until a new process comes out and they are outdated. You would think Arm would figure it out and design the processor for the process that will be available at the time.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Much much better heat performance: http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/04/30/qualcomms-snapdragon-808-doesnt-get-so-hot-under-the-collar/    If you need more storage and want a removable battery and B413CA  and likely CCA /  RRPP capability (when available), then the G4 is likely the one.

I agree that those who want speed and better video (4K) should go with the Samsung Galaxy S6. http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/04/23/in-depth-with-the-snapdragon-810s-heat-problems/

• Like 3

SOOOO basically i should just stick with the G3, as there really isnt that much of an upgrade out there.... some things, but nothing to make you go WOW..

funny i thought i wanted removable storage, but with how easy cloud based stuff is, and the multiple accts you can have, dropbox, box, drive, etc etc.....aside from keeping movies or what have you on a micro sd..... there is enough internal storage...

Think i might always stay with a removable battery though.....because i am about this close to getting a zerolemon for the G3....i cant figure out why my screen is killing my battery

SOOOO basically i should just stick with the G3, as there really isnt that much of an upgrade out there.... some things, but nothing to make you go WOW..

funny i thought i wanted removable storage, but with how easy cloud based stuff is, and the multiple accts you can have, dropbox, box, drive, etc etc.....aside from keeping movies or what have you on a micro sd..... there is enough internal storage...

Think i might always stay with a removable battery though.....because i am about this close to getting a zerolemon for the G3....i cant figure out why my screen is killing my battery

Because Lollipop. Screen time has been killing all phones on Lollipop like never before. Bugs that are hopefully squashed in 5.1 updates eventually. My neighbor has the G3 on VZW and complains of this post lollipop, my stable of S5s all have turrible battery life now too.

sent from an underwater dust storm from my Sprint S5

• Like 1

My neighbor has the G3 on VZW and complains of this post lollipop, my stable of S5s all have turrible battery life now too.

We are sorry to hear that, Mr. Barkley.

AJ

• Like 1

Anyone planning to get the G4 based on what was announced?

I plan on it, but I may wait until a good promotion comes around.  So far, the G4 looks to have promising battery life, judging by the Reddit thread.

Signed up for it. Hopefully I'm chosen, but I never win these things. haha

The terms say it's a wifi only model for review but that can't possibly be true. They asked for the carrier so you'd assume it has radios in it.

sent from an underwater dust storm from my Sprint S5

not much we haven't seen but, since this is the 2015 phone I'm most looking forward to, I thought I'd share:

Camera and screen look great... Hope the RF performance turns out to be good, too.

Sprint LG G4 hits the FCC

Model number: LS-991

CCA LTE Bands on-board 2, 4, 5, 12, 25, 26, 41

https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/reports/ViewExhibitReport.cfm?mode=Exhibits&RequestTimeout=500&calledFromFrame=N&application_id=770365&fcc_id=ZNFLS991

Yep.  Staff has been on top of it since this morning.  We hope to have an article posted on The Wall later today or tomorrow.

AJ

• Like 2

Yep.  Staff has been on top of it since this morning.  We hope to have an article posted on The Wall later today or tomorrow.

AJ

Any tantalizing previews to your article?  

AJ

Awesome! Looking forward to your take. Unfortunately only two downlink carrier aggregation support called out. Hopeful future VoLTE support after HAC re-testing though.

Any tantalizing previews to your article?

Awesome! Looking forward to your take. Unfortunately, I don't see carrier aggregation support called out like LG usually does.

I may not be writing the article.  But I will confirm that the LG G4 supports band 41 carrier aggregation as its only Release 10 capability.

AJ

• Like 1