Coverage map updated - lots more Spark and LTE

dkyeager

From the towers I've checked, I've gotten anywhere from low 30's to about 40 on B41, usually with only a -90 to -110 dbm.

I know most probably still need backhaul provided to them.

Only once did i ever see speeds like that. It was before triband devices were very common like now. normally I only see speeds of like 10Mbps while band 25 would be like 5Mbps. Although once I got 30 down on band 26 in Fresno. usually its like 4...at least in Salinas, CA

Not sure what you mean?

When you zoom in closer, it provides more estimates of service quality. Fair typically means hard to get.

That's what I was looking at. It was showing dark yellow (best) Spark coverage where it doesn't even show EVDO (purple) or LTE (orange).

No offense intended here, must have misunderstood you.

Helpful tip: these maps have multiple layers.  To just see LTE 1900, select a phone like the Motorola Photon Q 4g LTE, or the Motorola Admiral for just 3G.  That stated, these layers should vary more than they do.

• Like 2

Helpful tip: these maps have multiple layers.  To just see LTE 1900, select a phone like the Motorola Photon Q 4g LTE, or the Motorola Admiral for just 3G.  That stated, these layers should vary more than they do.

The dropdown menu on the side above the key allows you to look at Spark, LTE, or EVDO if you have a Spark device selected, or no device selected.

• Like 1

From the towers I've checked, I've gotten anywhere from low 30's to about 40 on B41, usually with only a -90 to -110 dbm.

I know most probably still need backhaul provided to them.

Only once did i ever see speeds like that. It was before triband devices were very common like now. normally I only see speeds of like 10Mbps while band 25 would be like 5Mbps. Although once I got 30 down on band 26 in Fresno. usually its like 4...at least in Salinas, CA

Well to be fair, the towers I tested were when they just got converted and at non-peak hours. So my guess would probably be 20's-30's in normal times.

Well to be fair, the towers I tested were when they just got converted and at non-peak hours. So my guess would probably be 20's-30's in normal times.

So as it turns out, the Sprint coverage map was correct. Gonzales CA has band 41 active. It must have been turned on today because I actually get a bit of LTE in the house. (No LATE yesterday indoors) Sadly for being just turned on, I maxed out at 15 Mbps (speed test taken from about 1000 feet away from the tower.) Inside the house which is half a mile away. I maxed out at about 8. (Basically four iPhone signal dots vs 1 dot)

• Like 2

So as it turns out, the Sprint coverage map was correct. Gonzales CA has band 41 active. It must have been turned on today because I actually get a bit of LTE in the house. (No LATE yesterday indoors) Sadly for being just turned on, I maxed out at 15 Mbps (speed test taken from about 1000 feet away from the tower.) Inside the house which is half a mile away. I maxed out at about 8. (Basically four iPhone signal dots vs 1 dot)

Sites that are just turned on are often slower. Sometimes because backhaul hasn't been provisioned yet, or the site isn't out of testing yet.

• Like 1

I am aware of that. But there is a band 25/26 site less than a mile from my work that is on the outskirts of town and the speeds there are maxing out at about 5Mbps on both bands. Site has been active for over a year. Optimization hasn't happened yet. Today I reactivated my Nexus 5 and saw the signal to be about -109 for both bands.

I just have to shake my head. Denver International doesn't have LTE within 5 miles of the airport and yet they are showing it as having Spark coverage. Hopefully that means they are very close to actually turning on at least one or two of their sites on-field. Maybe when I land in the foot of snow tomorrow, I'll be pleasantly surprised with some 4G warmth.

• Like 1

I just have to shake my head. Denver International doesn't have LTE within 5 miles of the airport and yet they are showing it as having Spark coverage. Hopefully that means they are very close to actually turning on at least one or two of their sites on-field. Maybe when I land in the foot of snow tomorrow, I'll be pleasantly surprised with some 4G warmth.

Where I live is the same way though not spark,their is no 4g towers of any kind within 10 mile's but Sprint's map show 4g not 200 yard's from my house but my house is shown in a roaming area go figger, just a little optimistic.)

Unfortunately, Sprint appears to be continuing to publish near term plans as b41 coverage. If this holds with the past, there are frequently other unpublished areas in the same market that do have coverage. This premature publishing is a bad habit that diminishes an awesome amount of progress.

• Like 3

Unfortunately, Sprint appears to be continuing to publish near term plans as b41 coverage. If this holds with the past, there are frequently other unpublished areas in the same market that do have coverage. This premature publishing is a bad habit that diminishes an awesome amount of progress.

I totally agree 1000%.  :-)

Actually in the City of Richmond, the LTE maps do vary a lot. Some areas you won't even get LTE unless you have a Spark phone. 

• Like 1

Since my S5 refuses to connect to Band 25 Standard LTE, it only connect to 1 bar of Spark TDD LTE band 41, since Nextel band 26 doesn't in the 804 yet however we do receive and sit on 1x800. Now 1900 is available in the area my mom's Note 3 gets LTE fine and it's band 25 meanwhile if we're in the same rool my phone may find band 41 or i just sit on 3G. I love Sprint the new 3g is great I can 100% guarantee 3G over 1meg dl on speedtest however I just need fast Internet speeds to get things done quickly. Now recently I been testing LTE only mode after finding the paperwork i got with my phone from best which supplies my Master Lock Code. After dialing ##3282 aka ##data# i went to LTE only mode and my phone does 1 of the 2 things, #1. It finds that 1 bar of Sprint Spark from my tower 2 miles away. Or #2. Band 25 LTE roaming with 6 full bars! (5 bars sometimes) now yes i know I can't call people well like most people born in the mid 90's we text before calling anyways. So once i started LTE roaming I needed to find out what carrier I'm on and guess what it's NTelos!! Wtf? How do they get 6 bars of Sprint LTE when I can't normally get 6 bars of Sprint LTE band 25. Someone smart reply cause it's a mystery. 

post-39194-0-59625800-1425195242_thumb.png

• 1 month later...

Coverage map updated!!

I think it now includes Atlanta Milwaukee Akron Anaheim etc.

Edit: Additional details posted here first: http://www.reddit.com/r/Sprint/comments/32tqhz/sprint_spark_and_4g_lte_continues_to_expand/

Edited by dkyeager
  • Like 2