Verizon, AT&T, Sprint and T-Mobile reveal network traffic stats from Super Bowl

IamMrFamous07

The nation's largest wireless carriers offered some insights into how they prepared for Sunday's Super Bowl XLIX game between the New England Patriots and the Seattle Seahawks, as well as how much traffic they saw on their networks during the game.

Sprint didn't provide an exact network traffic figure, but said it saw a 259 percent increase in traffic in and around the stadium in 2015 compared with last year.

For its part, Sprint said it added mobile cell sites and that, inside the stadium, it offered a 2X20 (40MHz) cellular system running on its 2.5 GHz spectrum.

http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/verizon-att-sprint-and-t-mobile-reveal-network-traffic-stats-super-bowl/2015-02-04

• Like 3

The nation's largest wireless carriers offered some insights into how they prepared for Sunday's Super Bowl XLIX game "

Just a reminder to not directly copy and paste other people's full articles without linking it back. It's considered a bad manner.

Anyways, it sounds like they brought in some cows equipped with 2.5 and broadcasted two carriers like they did in the world series. If fully back hauled then sprint would've been providing the capacity equivalent to 30 mhz of FDD lte.

Service must've been competitive compared to the other.

• Like 1

I'm not sure I would construe the use of 2x20 to specifically mean CA was deployed. It could be. But I could see someone referring to two separate B41 carriers live the same way. They may have not been linked by CA.

• Like 2

I'm not sure I would construe the use of 2x20 to specifically mean CA was deployed. It could be. But I could see someone referring to two separate B41 carriers live the same way. They may have not been linked by CA.

Carrier aggregation is not enabled on eNB or any UE. This is just them saying that they had two 20 MHz carriers active.
  • Like 1

So quick question, how can Sprint deploy B41 in this area temporarily, then remove it without proper permitting?  Phoenixan here, the area around the Stadium has no B26, and only 1 or 2 towers have B41, however the game was blanketed in B41 come gameday

Does anyone know if Sprint leaves the two carriers live after the game?

They were on cows. Pack it up and they leave by days end.

Heard they deployed 4 cows and erected a temporary cell site.

• Like 2

COWs do not require building permits. Most temporary sites do not require permits. Even most DAS systems don't require permits so long as all of the electrical needs are already installed.

• Like 1

They were on cows. Pack it up and they leave by days end.

Heard they deployed 4 cows and erected a temporary cell site.

Is that enough to say they deployed a herd of COWs? :roflmao:

• Like 5

well it seemed like Sprint held their own and thats a good thing. I read the article and of course John had to chime in on being the fastest but it they used only 430gb. Either the connection wasn't too reliable or people were just connecting to wifi. Who knows who cares. 

• Like 1

Article was updated:

Sprint didn't initially provide its traffic numbers, but after FierceWireless published this article with statistics from AT&T, Verizon and T-Mobile, Sprint decided to change course and provide specific figures for its traffic. "Our 4G LTE data usage in and directly outside the stadium on game day was 754 GB," wrote Sprint spokeswoman Adrienne Norton, noting that Sprint decided to release the numbers in part because "we don't want to give the impression we didn't do well or have something to hide."
  • Like 4

well it seemed like Sprint held their own and thats a good thing. I read the article and of course John had to chime in on being the fastest but it they used only 430gb. Either the connection wasn't too reliable or people were just connecting to wifi. Who knows who cares. 

Probably due to the fact that there were far more AT&T/Verizon subs at the Super Bowl.

Probably due to the fact that there were far more AT&T/Verizon subs at the Super Bowl.

Yes, as Robert noted elsewhere, the T-Mobile demographic does not really line up with the Super Bowl attendee demographic.  And if Seattle had not made the Super Bowl, then T-Mobile usage likely would have been even lower.

AJ

"Phoenix Stadium"?  Uh, John, it is University of Phoenix Stadium.

Is Legere one of those awkward non sports aware guys who refers to places like "Seattle Stadium"?

AJ

Poor John, thinking speed is everything. :lol:

Someone who is ditching T-Mobile because of continued coverage shortcomings or Legere's clownish antics should write him a "Dear John letter" and post it on Twitter.  Now, that would be funny.

AJ

• Like 3

Someone who is ditching T-Mobile because of continued coverage shortcomings or Legere's clownish antics should write him a "Dear John letter" and post it on Twitter.  Now, that would be funny.

AJ

That would make my day, poor guy thinks speed is the only thing that matters. Coverage is everything, WiFi calling to make up for your short-comings? aka coverage lol.